Twilight Turtle/Ladybug

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, Nov 30, 2009.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've been thinking of possibly getting this for the boys for their bedroom, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. Would they love it? Get it? Use it? They just turned two last month. I think it's a neat concept. Also-I was thinking maybe I would get the turtle for their room and the ladybug for the baby's room...

So does anyone have one? Or had one? Is it worth buying? I found it on Amazon.com for $20 vs $32+ elsewhere!

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I bought the turtle when I was still pg. I was not impressed and returned it. For one thing it needed to be REALLY close to the ceiling in order to make out the design. Even putting it on the dresser did not work, they just looked like fuzzy blobs on the ceiling.

This was in late 2007 so maybe they've improved the quality since then.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ditto... We got one as a present and the thing had to be at one foot from the ceiling to show anything. Who has something that high in the middle of their room?

That being said, the reviews seemed pretty good overall so I might just have got an older model... I'd check the newest reviews on amazon and toys'r us.

4. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I was just looking at this in a magazine the other day and thought it looked cute. I love stars and thought it would a be a good idea since M has been wanting a nightlight at bedtime recently. I am definitely interested in what others have to say about it!

5. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

It looks so cute, but I've read mixed reviews...and, my kids sleep really well, so I'm afraid to introduce something at night that might become a crutch, you know? I don't need to deal with the turtle becoming a must-have emergency item in order for them to go to sleep, if for some reason it breaks or something.

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We have the turtle. Mostly, it sits on a shelf. They play with it occasionally and like to turn it on and see it light up, but it's never been good at projecting stars onto the ceiling. Like others have said, it has to be pretty close. I don't think I'd say a foot, but it needs to be closer than any shelf we have in their room will get it. And their room is completely dark at night - no nightlight and shade drawn. If you have a nightlight in there, forget it.

The bottom line is that it's really cute, and I was very excited about it as a present, but I would never spend money on one.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We got the ladybug as a present and my girls LOVE it. Every night at bedtime they get excited to turn it on and see the stars on the ceiling. We put it on the glider in their room so its not close to the ceiling, but it projects really well.

8. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We received the turtles as gifts, too. They played with it for about 2 minutes and it's been sitting in the closet ever since. They were given to us when they were about 2 years old. Darkness has never been an issue for our children so that may be the reason for the disinterest. However, I do believe they are overpriced. HTH!

9. ourtwogirls

ourtwogirls New Member

We bought the turtle about a year ago and our girls LOVE it. Each night we turn it on right before bed (with the lights out, of course) and they have to find the moon. Then we lift them up to the ceiling to touch the moon and a star and they go to bed. I have no problems with it projecting from the floor to the ceiling and walls, but if the batteries are old, it's definitely a bit dim - try using new batteries if you have a problem.

10. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

We have both, and the kids love them. There are no problems seeing the star shapes or the moon shapes on the ceiling when the pet is laying on their bed (which is about 1 ft off the ground), although we've never actually tried to find the "constellations" that are included in the packet. We turn them on at night as we turn out the light, and the kids choose which color they want to watch. When they get to share a room (at my parents) they like to mix and match the colors. They've used them every day we've had them, about a year now, I think, and they travel with us also. The first set I got, the lights quit working rather quickly, but Amazon gave me a full refund/exchange option, even though we were past the 30 days and the boxes were long gone, with no extra shipping, so we got a second set, and have been in clover since. The batteries need to be changed about every 2 months, I'd guess. They stay on for about 45 minutes then turn off automatically, or if my child isn't asleep yet, they turn them on again. It's been a great gift - combo Paci Fairy gift, and going to sleep without a light on in the room gift. Highly recommended by me, and will buy one for my nephew when he is older.

11. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We have the twilight turtle and really like it. I painted their ceiling sky blue with puffy clouds, and intended to stick those glow in the dark stars on it. But I could not bring myself to mess up my paint job with the stars so I opted for the turtle. Our stars show nicely on the ceiling. I do have it at the end of Lily's bed, which is pretty much in the center of the room, that way the stars are centered and in the ceiling part versus on the wall if I sit it on the dresser.