tricycle suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by eagleswings216, Oct 24, 2011.

1. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My boys will be 2 the end of December, and my MIL wants to get them each a tricycle - whatever I pick out. I'm torn between a traditional type metal, or the low-rider bigger wheel type (which seems more durable and closer to the ground so less injury from falls).

FYI, they are fairly large for their age - 75th and 90th percentile for height, and approx. 28 and 31 lbs.

Also, MIL doesn't think they need a helmet, but I'd like to start getting them used to wearing one now - thoughts on that??

I appreciate any and all suggestions on models. I got a headache trying to look online because there are so many choices!!

TIA!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have a Kettler tricycle that was handed down from my brother and Annabella has a red flyer brand tricycle in pink. We never had the big wheel kind. But my duo is short, so those probably wouldn't work. This spring is when they(Nicholas really) figured out how to pedal(over 3.5 years old). It helped by having him go downhill in our driveway. None of them have fallen off of them either.

If them wearing a helmet is what you want them to do-then I say do it. You are the mother!!

3. EricaM

EricaM Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Rock-Roll-Ride-Trike/dp/B00005UOSC/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1319520193&sr=1-2

We have one of these and I really like it. My girls have just been able to use it (height wise), but they've always been small :) (plus you can push when they're too small to reach the pedals)

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two have these tricycles both are on the short side and these fit them well. I also got them helmets from Toys R Us (DS a Toy Story one and DD a Hello Kitty one) and at first the kids were not feeling the helmets but DH & I told them that in order to ride the bikes, they have to wear a helmet. I think it's good to get them used to wearing a helmet now, so it seems like second nature when they are older. Good luck with your tricycle search.

5. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

WE have 2 of these http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-618277-Trike-Red/dp/B003DRFW1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1319541356&sr=1-1. My brother/SIL bought them for the kids for their 2nd birthday. The babies love them. The seat moves back and forth so when they get older, you can accommodate longer legs. I love the push bar right now because they are not near being able to pedal. We make them wear helmets and when they get on them, they ask for their helmets now.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

How about a balanced bike instead? My two still can't pedal most bicycles.

7. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We have two of those as well and its so nice not to have to bend over when they want to be pushed. We got a yellow one just like that one at our local Target for $43, I think. They, of course, fought over who got to ride it, but I was able to quickly find a red one like in the link on Craigslist for only $15. I like the looks of the metal ones, and they have a hand-me-down Red Flyer one at my grandparents, but it gets rusty in places after a while.

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! After thinking it over and talking with DH, I think we definitely want something plastic to avoid rusting. I'll look into all these ideas (and if anyone else has ideas, please let me know that, too!)

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Kettlers are great -- they're expensive (we got two hand-me-downs) but anything with that basic shape is good.

We had one with a push bar and one without, and DH and I had to take turns because pushing the one without the bar was so backbreaking. And you will wind up pushing them a fair amount.

The tall metal ones are tippy. Also, I think the kids need longer legs to pedal them.

Definitely helmets. We have a rule that if you are riding anything with wheels, you need a helmet. It made it really easy when they started riding bikes because it never occurred to them NOT to wear one (until they got old enough to notice how many grownups don't wear them <_<

10. Reeny691

Reeny691 Well-Known Member

We have a balance bike from Y Bike and the one more like a big wheel. DS is really good at the balance bike. DD not so much but we're hoping she'll get the hang of it. I liked the idea that it will help later when they try to ride a 2 wheeler.

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

We have some used Radio flyer tricycles the ones that look like the "vespa" scooters, pretty cute and the inner part of them is metal - and the molded part is plastic. they're really cute and nice. Though at 2 I don't think that ours could reach the pedals... and it was very difficult for them.

SO... for Christmas when ours were 2 yr 9 mo, we got them Balance Bikes. balance bike that's a link to ours. I love that they are metal/sturdy real bikes... just don't have pedals. they have a hand brake, which ours don't know how to use yet, but they are doing great and are really fast on them, and can lift their feet up to balance.

I thought I saw one online at Walmart or Target that was closer to $40... but ours were on sale at Totsy.com last year when I got them. They will have good resale value for you... like 50% of your price, I'd think.

anyway, I love these bikes, and there's no complication of figuring out pedals at a young age.

12. KKing

KKing Well-Known Member

we did the balance bike here too. My DS is awesome on it(just turned 3), he puts his feet on the foot reats and glides. He still cant pedal and LOVES his bike. He got it right after he turned two and hopped on and away he went. BEST toy Ive ever bought him!! He will probably go right into a bike once he learns to pedal.