treak tube with ng tube questions?

Discussion in 'General' started by kim01, Dec 14, 2015.

1. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

Ok guys i need some help. we do foster parenting, we already have a placement but were asked to do respite care for a foster family for a short time.
    The placement is very young and has a treak tube, and obviously a ng tube. Does anyone have a kiddo with the treak tube? Any advice, suggestions ? i have dealt with the ng tube before so not a issue there. i haven't ever had to deal with a treak though.
    if you don't want to post here you can private message me. tia

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Do you mean trach? You should have training from a nurse prior to caring for a child with a trach.

3. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

i do mean trach, i am getting a whole lot of training in the upcoming days. i just wanted to see if anyone had any pointers in those areas. 

4. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

ok so we met him tonight. he is very tiny ( bigger than both my twins when we brought them home) but gosh so tiny. We got alot of tube training and did a feeding. he is really snotty so we did several things. lol got to change his diaper and clean him up a bit. One of the nurse suggeted we find others with kiddos that have similar issues that they always have tips that are helpful. I am glad we got to meet him and have already started to make a connection with him. We meet his foster mom in the next couple days as well. i am so thankful that we are able to help him and his foster family out. the nurse and s/w worker asked where had i been hiding they weren't loosing our number lol. we were warned after our current placements p/t came over that once we are certified in the tube we would be called often. I don't mind i hope i am able to help many others. we are certified in medical fragile and multiples and will take many disiablites. i am just so blessed to be able to help those that need it.

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

is he on a vent or just humidified mask? (or room air) - I've done adult trachs before - not kids...just make sure they have a replacement trach one size smaller available at all times, as well as an ambu bag in case the trach becomes dislodged.

6. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

he has both, we do have our "to go" bag, with the smaller  trach and bag with other emergency stuff in it. I am hoping that bag gets dusty from lack of use. he is such a sweet baby boy. Has a pulse ox, apnea monitor, mic-key button, nebulizer. we are doing something almost every hour lol. he is such a sweet baby I got alot of training with his full time foster momma/ dad last week, I am so thankful that we are/ were able to help get this baby home. It is stressful indeed i am just leaning a bit more in prayer right now.

+