Traveling during the 2nd trimester

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by SC, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,
    Hoping you can help me make a decision. I am 12 weeks pg with ID twins. My DH and I have a trip scheduled during week 14. The flight is about 4 hours each way. The trip itself should be pretty relaxing. We're going to my aunt and uncle's lake house. I have asked my MFM's office and OB's office about this and am getting conflicting opinions. At first, it seemed like everyone was fine with it. Then, on Monday, I saw the head OB in my regular OB's office and she did not like the idea. So, now I'm very conflicted and a little worried.
    What advice were you given? Did you/would you travel at this stage? Do you think it's risky?
    Thanks for your insight.

2. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I traveled extensively throughout my pregnancy. I didn't even know I was having twins until 22 weeks, so some of this travel was done prior. I had no complications, and only the first trip was vacation. All the others were required by my employer. It wasn't a matter of just canceling a business trip. We moved from Bulgaria to Mexico, with required training in Washington. For the last few trips, my OB simply advised me to drink lots of water, stretch, rest when I felt tired and generally pay attention to clues from my body.

About 12 weeks - 5 hour car ride over terrible roads for long weekend trip
    About 19/20 weeks - 18 hours plane ride from Eastern Europe to Midwest
    About 23 weeks - 8 hour road trip in Midwest
    About 25 weeks - Midwest to Washington DC by plane
    About 27 weeks - Washington DC to Mexico by plane
    About 32 weeks - Mexico to Midwest by plane

3. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

I did alot of traveling for work in my 2nd. Just keep moving aka walking and keep fluid intake and I was told it was ok. No travel with twin pregnancy after 26 weeks was my OB's rule. The airline said no 3rd trimester travel was allowed. The moving is to prevent blood clots from forming in your legs from extensive sitting whicjh can travel to your placenta(s) or your heart. Walk every 30 min. If its a small plane w/no isles to walk, I would try to switch my flight or drive it.

4. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

i dont' see anything wrong with that at all!! At 14 weeks there really is no need not to in my opinion!

5. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies. I pretty much feel the same way.

I wonder why this got moved. I thought about where to post it and chose the other board because I am asking women about their past experiences-- women who aren't necessarily pg anymore.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I flew to Switzerland from Denver (with a connection in Frankfurt -- a good loooong trip) at 17 weeks and back at 19 weeks, without any problems really. My OB and perinatologist both approved it. And it was great timing, since 16-22 weeks was just about the only time I really had that much energy!

I brought lots of snacks and water (and my lovely in-laws upgraded me to first class, which also helped). At my OB's suggestion, I wore pressure stocking on the plane. And I made sure I knew where there were decent hospitals in the towns we were going to. Other than that, I just tried not to do too much and rest a lot. But I really felt fine.

ETA: I think (though I'm not a mod) it probably got moved because Expecting is the place for questions about pregnancy -- with the understanding that those of us who aren't pg anymore will still come back here to answer them.

7. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

My OB told me anywhere in the world, any mode of transportation until 28 weeks with my identical twins. I have been to Egypt and Mexico since the beginning of my twin pregnancy - no issues whatsoever, although I was careful about drinking the water, etc. in both places. My last trip was at 24 weeks (only 2.5 hour flight though) and I am now 28 weeks. I traveled much later into pregnancy (34 weeks) with both of my previous singleton pregnancies including trans-Atlantic trips.

8. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

I didn't go more than an hour or so from Toronto for the second half of my pregnancy, but I didn't worry too much before that.

9. lisachalf

lisachalf Well-Known Member

I flew my 2nd trimester. I was told to wear compression hose and get up once an hour and walk the aisle. Also, drink lots of water. I had no problems!

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I traveled from Ohio to Las Vegas right around that time with my OB's blessing. I wasn't restricted until later in my pregnancy.

11. Tyneka

Tyneka Member

You should be okay... I just got permission to travel 6 hours in a car during 35 weeks (granted I'm not dialated...) make sure you stay well hydrated.

12. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. My OB was ok with me flying 2 hr flight a 19 weeks.

13. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mandyfish3 @ Jun 18 2009, 09:34 AM) [snapback]1359540[/snapback]
    i dont' see anything wrong with that at all!! At 14 weeks there really is no need not to in my opinion!

yup, I agree.

I flew across the country with 2 kids at 22 and 26 weeks no problem.

14. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I took a flight from CA to Hawaii at 23 weeks and my peri was fine with it. She was one of the head peris at Stanford Hospital so I definitely didn't feel bad about going on the trip. I just had to make sure not to do too much, drink lots of water, and walk around on the plane at least once an hour. At 14 weeks I wouldn't even ask for permission unless I was having a complication.

15. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

We travelled to California from Chicago at 16-17 weeks and I travelled to Europe at 24-26 weeks. Both times were fine. We were planning a short trip in the US at 28 weeks but after coming back from Europe I was kind of done with the whole thing. Also my MIL was very sick / dying so we stayed put in case my husband had to fly back home ... which did happen in the end.

16. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

We travelled to California from Chicago at 16-17 weeks and I travelled to Europe at 24-26 weeks. Both times were fine. We were planning a short trip in the US at 28 weeks but after coming back from Europe I was kind of done with the whole thing. Also my MIL was very sick / dying so we stayed put in case my husband had to fly back home ... which did happen in the end.

17. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

If you've had no complications, I'd go. I travelled at about 20 weeks with no problems. Make sure you have the name of and numbers for a reputable hospital at your destination, stay hydrated, move around alot, etc and you should be fine. Have fun!

18. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Thanks so much ladies. You've made me feel so much more comfortable about going.