Top Resources

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ECUBitzy, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'd like to compile a resource list for the Expectant and First Year mamas. Please share your sites, books, etc. that were valuable to you during those periods.

Thanks, ladies!

(cross-posting to Expecting and TC)

2. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Twin Stuff, of course!

I also am using Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley & Tracey Murkett

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Twinstuff is my go-to resource. But before I found TS and for book-formatted resources, here's my list:

1. Twins 101: 50 Must-Have Tips for Pregnancy through Early Childhood From Doctor M.O.M. by Khanh-Van Le-Bucklin, M.D. - What's not to love about this book? It's written in short snippets (to accommodate the amount of "free" time we MOMs have). It's by a pediatrician who is a MOM herself. She also apparently has a website with health information for twins that I discovered just now when I was looking for the spelling of her name. I haven't seen it so don't consider that an endorsement yet but I'm going to check it out soon!

2. Twinspiration: Real-Life Advice From Pregnancy Through the First Year (for Parents of Twins and Multiples) by Cheryl Lage - One part memoir, one part recommendations for how to survive the first year. Probably particularly good if you have preemies and/or these are your first.

3. Juggling Twins: The Best Tips, Tricks, and Strategies from Pregnancy to the Toddler Years by Meghan Regan-Loomis - This is kind of a cross between the two above. Regan-Loomis talks a lot about the things that she and her family did that worked for them. It goes a little longer term with some information about the toddler years. There's also a brief section about how to handle the issues that come up if you have an older child. I would definitely pick and choose what advice you want to take from it. I still refer back for certain things but certainly didn't stress about doing some things very differently from the author.

4. Baby Center Forums - I do more cruising on BBC than actual question asking (I ask most all of my questions here :) ) but there is some really good information on a couple of the forums. I stick mostly to "Got Twins?" and "Breastfeeding Multiples". I personally try to stay away from the twins' birth board (the general May 2012 Birth Board) because there tends to be a lot of issues with people being judgmental without knowing the full story. Honestly, it's just more stress than it's worth.

5. http://www.doubleupbooks.com/ - My mom got the twins' baby books from this website. I was also able to print off a daily schedule sheet for FREE. Love that word. There's also plenty of other great books for multiples.

6. My local Mother of Multiples club - The one in my area (Richmond Area Mother of Multiples AKA RAMOM) has online forums for discussion, which I have found helpful. It's particularly good for discussing very local issues - like which pediatricians in the area are good with multiples or which LC has dealt with multiples before or what the actual policies our for our local hospital/NICU. I've also gotten some great deals on used items from those ladies. I've gotten a toddler bed ($25), two crib mattresses (total of $50), and a free box of size 3 Luvs. I've also been able to get rid of some extra swings and bouncers that I had lying around. Many MOMs groups do annual (or biannual) yard sales where you can buy or sell items for good prices.

I know there's more. I'll post them as my 'mommy brain' allows me to remember! :D

Edited for grammar and clarity.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

You ROCK! What a great list!

I've added your MoMs group to that part of the new site, too. Be sure to share us at your next meeting!

5. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness...how did I forget kellymom.com? I know it isn't twins/multiples specific but a lot of the information translates well. From boosting supply to dealing with distraction issues to figuring out how much milk to leave in each bottle while I am at work, it's my go-to resource for solid info about breastfeeding.

And I will definitely give TS a plug if I ever make it to a meeting. :)