Too many choices, but are any what I'm looking for?

Discussion in 'General' started by mikemike, May 29, 2014.

1. mikemike

mikemike Member

I have read through the forums and I see there are some similar topics (best stroller for twins) here but no answers that left me truly satisfied (at least enough to make the purchase). I am still new to this (first post) so please don't jump all over me if I make any errors. We are expecting twins next month and I have been looking for a stroller for them (I have spent hours researching). From your experience(s) please help with the following questions:

1. I am looking for one stroller (it's a huge financial investments) that would take my kids from birth on (as opposed to purchasing one stroller that is meant for car seats and another later for toddlers) 
    2. I REALLY like the side by side strollers but it seems they are all made for a toddler and 1 car seat.
    3. Do I really need a stroller that takes a car seat or can I just purchase a side by side stroller and just put the seat down and lay the babies down in the first few months? (I don't see how not having them strapped in can affect their safety)
    4. I really like oversized wheels in case I need to be on grass or rougher terrain
    5. I'd really like to keep my costs down without sacrificing my children's safety or comfort (as well as my wife's who is much smaller than me so the maneuverability of the stroller will help)
    6. I have an SUV so trunk space is not extremely limited, but it would be nice to have the stroller in there and have room left over for groceries etc
    7. I already have my brother's old Graco car seats (they have not expired yet) so something that would take them would help

I appreciate any helpful feedback you have on the matter.

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

If you like the side by side options, Bobs are pretty spectacular for all of your criterea. I never got to that stage (price bracket) in my shopping but they might take infant carriers with adapter bars? You'll want to check.

You could put them in without the carriers, but you definitely need to buckle. They'll slide, squirm, and shift and you'd never be able to live with yourself if one of your babies managed to fall out. Also bear in mind that, if they're born early, they may not fit very well in the seats for quite awhile. As newborns, sitting upright isn't an option.

You will prefer the infant carriers on the strollers when they're small so that you don't have to wake them to move from car to stroller and back. Trust me on this! Sleeping twins are not something to mess with! ;)

Look at the Bob and see if it will work for you. Otherwise (and I know you said you don't want to!), a double snap and go is a worthwhile investment for the first 6 months to a year. You can get one in expensively at a resale store, on CL, eBay, or the like.

And we would never jump on you. ;) Every person here has been exactly where you are! Good luck!

2 people like this.
  3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd do the snap and go for the first while. That gives you some time to make a decision about a larger stroller later on. I agree that the Bob type are great. I got an In-Step Bike trailer type that converted to a regular stroller very easily and we got a LOT of use out of that thing.. both behind the bike and as a trailer. I wish I could still stuff the boys in there ;) .

One thing to keep in mind with costs; the more expensive strollers usually have great re-sale value if you take care of them, so they can be worth the investment. They might only depreciate the amount you would have paid for a cheaper stroller, but you have a much sturdier stroller to use.

1 person likes this.
  4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Excellent point about resale!

5. mikemike

mikemike Member

First of all, thank you so much for your answers. I have about 5-7 weeks to go and where time once stood still, it seems every time I blink my eyes I's a week closer and I feel I have nothing ready lol.
    Is there a particular model you would recommend? Would you recommend a used stroller? I looked on kijiji, and I have several models/options I can choose from but none really match the ones on the website (probably b/c they are older models). ( http://www.kijiji.ca/b-baby-stroller-carrier-car-seat/gta-greater-toronto-area/bob/k0c270l1700272 ) I like the comments regarding getting a snap and go for now and a big stroller later, but am hesitant based on 2 things.1 (and foremost) keeping my costs down. 2. My brother (who also had twins) said I'll hardly use it in the first 6 months or so and it might be a waste to purchase something I won't use.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It depends on what you want to do; I couldn't have lived without a stroller; getting out of the house was a lifesaver for e those first months and I used the stroller a ton. Some people are really comfortable babywearing, even two at a time, so that might be a better option. If you walk a lot, if you feel like either you or your partner will be handling both babies a lot on your own, invest in something that makes your life easier. I promise the cost will be a distant memory when you are wheeling around everywhere with ease rather than struggling with a crappy stroller.

As for models, go to a stroller place and test drive them a bit. There's a place in my city where you can wheel them around the store, see if they fit in your car, all that. Nothing really beats seeing things first hand and everyone has a little bit different needs.

By. The. Way, not sure where you are, but this is a killer deal on the double snap and go! http://www.toysrus.com/buy/frame-strollers/baby-trend-double-snap-n-go-stroller-1305tw-2958408

1 person likes this.
  7. sabs79

sabs79 New Member

There are a few of side by side strollers that accommodate two car seats with a special adaptor, plus bassinets to use until they can sit up, then full seats for a double stroller: - the bugaboo donkey, Mountain Buggy Duet and i think the Baby Jogger City twin. For my first baby I never used the car seat on a stroller - just transferred the baby to the pram bassinet (though the point someone made earlier about not waking twins by transferring is so valid!). 

8. mikemike

mikemike Member

Rollergiraffe- I wish I saw your post yesterday. My aunt was in the US and could have pcked it up for me. At $50 it would be a no brainer. It is also on sale here but online only and with shipping it's appx $80.I still may pull the trigger on it.

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bought my snap n go on craigslist for $30 and sold it a year later for the same price.

10. mikemike

mikemike Member

I pulled the trigger and bought it new at toys r us for $80. (snap and go double). I absolutely love it. It fits my seats perfectly and seems easy to handle. All I need now is to insert a couple of crying babies lol Thank you so much for your advise everyone.

1 person likes this.