Toddlers on Leashes--anyone do this?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by amelowe9, Sep 20, 2008.

1. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

Jumping boards here but I was out today with my sister and my two-year old nephew and I can hardly keep up with him!! (Twins were home with DH). He was running all over the place and kept both my sister and myself on our feet! All I could think about was what it will be like when my babies are walking...how will I be able to take them out anywhere! If one goes in one direction and the other in the opposite direction and I'm the only one with them...YIKES! I used to not understand it when I saw toddlers on leashes in the past. Now I'm thinking how do you get out with two toddlers and NOT use them. What if they don't want to stay in the stroller? I was wondering what you're all doing now that your twins are starting to walk and walking. Do you use leashes? How do you get out with them once they can run aorund?

2. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I was all about them around 17 months. My boys always went in different directions. So one day we went to this Winter Wonderland Fest where there were a ton of people so we bought those puppy backpacks. When we put them on them, they freaked out so we had to take them off. A few months later I had them wear them in the house to get used to them. Then we went to another event with a lot of people and again, they did not like them. So, we just made sure they were always in their stroller.

I have seen plenty of kids wearing them and I think they are a great invention. If my boys were tolerant of them, I would have used them. Before they were two, I could never let them walk along side of me because they would have taken off. Now, they stay by me but it seems like it took forever to get to this point!

3. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Great question-- I can't wait to hear more replies!

I fear my boys would be just like Seamus & Nicholas in this regard.... *sigh* :rolleyes:

4. katnpat

katnpat Well-Known Member

We bought those little monkey backpack ones just in case, but we've never used them. We are lucky because our girls usually wanted to hold our hands or be carried when there were other people around (at the park is a different story! ha ha). So we either had them hold our hands or we used strollers.

I am also a little embarrassed to admit that I'm afraid to use the leashes because I've seen people shaking their heads at parents who use them and I don't want any more attention than we already get! I know that I shouldn't care, but I do so oh well :D

5. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

We brought 2 of them but only used 1 of them. My son tend to run in opposite direction so I made sure he wear one. Whenever I go to the mall I do get stare but they seem to understand where I'm coming from with twins. Either that, or they don't 'get' it.

I had the leashed from 15 to 21 months old. He still like to run off but I don't go to the mall when summer arrived. I have been taking them to the park ALL by myself. I do it during the week day and in the morning around 9:30 to 10:00 AM at a park for toddlers playground (not even fenced in).

D, w/Rianna and Justin (will be 2 next week)

6. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I used to be one of those anti-leash people. :) Then my twins both started walking & climbing out of the stroller......shopping carts don't really work, either, as most of the time there's only 1 seat & if one of the kids is in the back they're usually trying to get out. One day in Walmart, both kids took off running......in seconds, they were out of my sight. Talk about near panic........luckily I caught up with them quickly & they were together. But I remember thinking, they could have easily gone in opposite directions. So I got the leashes!

I got the ones from Target that look like monkeys & puppies.......put them on at home 1st & they loved them! DD kept saying her monkey was giving her kisses. :) The thing I like about these ones are the "tails" are detachable. We hardly ever use them (I try to avoid shopping with the kids unless dh is with me) but yesterday I happened to have only dd with me at the mall & I decided to take the monkey. Most of the time we left the tail/leash part off & she stayed close anyway.....part of the time we just let her hold the leash. But I was glad to have it & I decided I just didn't care if people gave me looks. Obviously they've never had a toddler run away & felt the panic that goes with it.

I have been taking them to parks, library, church, etc by myself & we don't use the leashes then. I think it's been good practice for listening. But anytime I know there might be crowds, we take the leashes.

7. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

I never even thought of using them. I know it doesnt hurt the child and it is probably very handy for those who use it, but its just the principle for me; a child on a leash. I just couldnt do it. Mine are all at the point where they want to walk when we go somewhere, so I just encourage hand-holding. Sometimes if the twins dont want to hold my hand, they are willing to hold their older brother or sisters hand. And if they dont want to, they get held or put in the stroller. My 3 yr old sometimes wants to get in the stroller, so it will make one of the twins want to get in too, so that makes it a little easier. Depending on where we are I might not make them hold hands, but even still, they dont usually run too far, and if they do, they all run together, so I'm not trying to run all over the place. My 4 yr old will usually try to chase someone if they do run, but I discourage him from doing that because if he chases, they will keep running (like a game).
    I guess I'm lucky to have the older children to show the twins how to walk nicely, but its not like we dont have our days when someone runs, or they dont want to hold hands, etc.. Its really up to the parent how much you can tolerate and what you're willing to go through.

8. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I have always been a hand-holding mom. If they were small they either had to hold my hand, or ride in the stroller. I pretty much quit using strollers around age 2 with all of mine, because we could use shopping carts for the really long excursions (I don't spend a lot of time in malls). DS2 was a climber, and I had this harness that would clip to the sides of the stroller/shopping cart/high chair so he couldn't fall out and get hurt, but there was no leash. At the grocery store the girls hold on to either side of the shopping cart, since I need my hands to push the cart. However, I have not had kids who tended to run off.

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I know people who use them as a back-up. Fortunately my girls are very good at staying close. We don't have a fenced in yard so the girls get a lot of exposure to "Stay where I can see you!" "Come hold momma's hand." So I guess the point is you might not need to use them if your kids aren't the type to just run off.

(BTW, I really don't take credit for training my girls. I think its a combo between their personalities and exposure, but MOSTLY their personalities).

10. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

QUOTE(katnpat @ Sep 21 2008, 12:56 AM) [snapback]989774[/snapback]
    I am also a little embarrassed to admit that I'm afraid to use the leashes because I've seen people shaking their heads at parents who use them and I don't want any more attention than we already get! I know that I shouldn't care, but I do so oh well :D

I always told myself I would say to people who stared or offered a negative comment, "How did you do it with your twins?"

11. ehm

ehm Banned

I never used them but some things to think about. People leash their dogs because they are loved and want to keep them (and others safe), I would think that we all love our children just as much and also want to keep them safe. Just keep thinking that if anyone gives you the 'look' or makes a comments.

Also, think about hand holding. I remember reading something about hand holding that makes sense. If you are going to be someplace for say a few hours and the children will have to hold hands for that time, think about how that feels for them. Seriously, walk around your house for a couple hours with your arm up in the air. It probably isn't very comfortable. We used a stroller/wagon/cart/hand holding or any combination there of but I would not have hesitated to use the harnesses if it meant making sure my children were safe and comfortable.

12. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Mine just got all tangled up and stuff. They were tripping over each other. Honestly, I have seen people use them with great success - BUT....I just made them stay in the stroller and they loved being in the stroller. I didn't give them freedom early!! I made the stroller the place to be. They ate snacks and had sippies etc. in there. Good luck! :hug:

13. Cathmar

Cathmar Well-Known Member

My cousin used one for her child who would NEVER hold hands (not without pretending to fall and then dangling to the point that I thought his arm would come out of the socket) and was a nightmare in the stroller. So she got the leashes for times in big crowds or when she was in unfamiliar territory (i.e., vacation).

This jerk passes by her while her son had the leash attached and said, "look, that kid is being walked like a dog." She turned on a dime and said, "at least he's not getting kidnapped or being run over!" She was livid.

It's not as if you're harnessing the leash to a neck collar. THAT would be weird. I really never saw anything wrong with it. I haven't used one, but I would in a heartbeat if I saw their was a need. Unless they're people I love, I really couldn't care less what other people think of me. Like Dr. Seuss says: "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

14. klselsky

klselsky Well-Known Member

I used them around the pool this summer when they didn't want to be in the water but didn't want to be held. They were great. My girls are the MOST active girls you will find. (Yes, I challenge anyone to a contest! ) They rank up their with the wild boys I was always afraid to get. It is not an option for me to have both down and walking. They don't hold hands or even walk. They run. Soooo, leashes are great for me. And, as far as the "what other people think" aspect goes, I would rather have safe and happy kids than a strangers approval. Anyone who walks in my shoes would do the same.

15. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ehm @ Sep 21 2008, 08:42 AM) [snapback]989972[/snapback]
    Also, think about hand holding. I remember reading something about hand holding that makes sense. If you are going to be someplace for say a few hours and the children will have to hold hands for that time, think about how that feels for them. Seriously, walk around your house for a couple hours with your arm up in the air. It probably isn't very comfortable. We used a stroller/wagon/cart/hand holding or any combination there of but I would not have hesitated to use the harnesses if it meant making sure my children were safe and comfortable.

I asked DS1 if he remembered his arms hurting, and he said no. My girls also say it does not hurt them (and they're pretty short, like about the size of a 3 yo). My son held his arm up and did say he felt the burn when he was holding his arm up himself, but as soon as I took his hand (just now, as an experiment), his arm stopped hurting, because I was actually carrying the weight of his arm.

I honestly never worried about this before, because it's obviously nature's way of keeping a child close (humans didn't always have strollers ;)), but I asked my kids just out of curiosity.

Again, I do not spend hours and hours in malls. I rarely take any excursion that lasts more than 2 hours, and when they were small they could ride in the cart.

16. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

I used them and I'd use them again. For me it was a matter of choices. Lose a child or use the leashes. So I just ignored the dirty looks and held my head up knowing we wouldn't be on the evening news or Amber Alerts.

17. Mothership

Mothership Well-Known Member

I could honestly care less about the way people look at me... I am more concerned with someone grabbing one of the twins or them running and me not being able to catch them... not that they do that often, but if they did I would feel horrible if something happned to one of them. We used the backpacks yesterday at Oktoberfest and they were fine...when we were sitting we just tucked the tail in the pocket an they stayed close... I love them and use them all the time.

18. sleepless

sleepless Member

I have a couple of the monkey backpack leashes, but the one time I tried those, the boys just got mad because they wanted to hold the monkey part where they could hug it :rolleyes: For the most part we are hand holders or use our double wagon when we are on longer outdoor excursions and that has worked best for us, we are pretty lucky that they are not into running off and like to stick close to us.

19. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Sep 21 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]989961[/snapback]
    I always told myself I would say to people who stared or offered a negative comment, "How did you do it with your twins?"

I like it! :lol:

We have the backpacks and have used them on short walks but the girls were so interested in everything, one would stop and the other would keep going and it was like I was pulling on or the other at all times. We'll try them again later but so far they haven't worked efficiently enough for us.

20. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

Leashes are not my thing. I just try and teach my kids that if they are going to walk, they are going to walk nice and stay with me, or they will ride in the stroller.

21. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

We started training the girls at a very young age about staying in the stroller. I don't think they thought getting out of the stroller was ever an option. That is what kept me sane. When hiking, I did use a leash on Sierra because she was the one who was more apt to run around or not pay attention.

With Dax, he got out of his stroller a lot as a baby and now it is much more difficult to keep him in it. I can usually count on 15-20 minutes of stroller time with him (if we're staying still) but then he's going to want out.

We just went to the State Fair last week and there were tons of toddlers on leashes there. I know there are some people who take offense to it but they aren't the ones chasing those children. To me, it is a safety issue. All it takes is a loud noise and you turn your head for a second and that kid has run off.

22. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

We mostly hold hands but sometimes we use the puppy backpacks that have a leash attached. They like them and it allows them to walk which they like.

23. erinmichelleb

erinmichelleb Well-Known Member

People who give the dirty looks DON'T have multiples. ESPECIALLY if you're a single parent, like me, it helps a ton!

24. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

When the time comes, we'll use leashes (and I really hope my kids take to them!). I'm too tall to hold their hands comfortably - my kids are also tall, but I'm 5'10", and can't hold their hands without stooping. My back gets enough abuse already! :p

25. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I just saw this product at Babies R Us tonight, thought it looked promising:

http://www.kinderkord.com

We didn't have to use one with Nadia, because it's much easier to keep track of one kid, and she didn't mind the stroller.

I suspect we'll need them with my little ones, though -- and, I won't hesitate to use them if we need 'em!

26. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

We have them and I think they are a great invention. My children love when I first put them on; however, they don't like them on for very long. I did allow them to get used to the puppy harnesses before trying them out in public. Like others have said, my DD enjoys carrying it around more than wearing it.

Mine wore them for a short time at the mall last week and we got lots of smiles. Maybe people were making comments under their smiles; I didn't hear them.

27. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

We're not there yet - will be soon - but there's a little girl in our neighborhood who always wears one of the monkey harnesses, and DH said the other day, "That poor girl must be frustrated all the time...with that monkey on her back" I had been thinking the same thing...what made them choose a monkey? We'll probably be looking for those puppies.

28. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

I don't have any leashes but I would use the backpack-looking ones. Whenever I go somewhere they have to be in a stroller or cart because my nuggets, especially Connor, are RUNNERS. I'd love for them to be able to walk around but there is no way that by myself, 7 months pregnant, could go chasing after two toddlers that go running in opposite directions, and if I had them on leashes, God help the person who gave my waddling butt a dirty look!!!!! It's a lot easier to teach one child to always stay close and hold your hand then to teach two that just want to run around and have fun.

29. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

i used them a few times (like at the zoo) for safety reasons. as soon as they did better w/ holding hands and not running away, we passed them on to another set of twins. I've seen many singletons wearing them.

I never heard a negative remark. actually several positive ones.... being that they were twins, people are quite understanding.

the key for us was to make them fun toys (monkey and dog from target), not "leashes". They wanted to wear them because we introduced them as toys and fun.

that said, a stroller is still my favorite way to keep them contained. i'm going to use strollers as long as possible. we have 1 combi for the van/outings and 1 bob jogger for the house/garage/local.

30. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

I used the regular harness leashes (no puppy) back in February. I was the only adult with 2 toddlers in atlanta and I wasn't about to lose one or both of the girls when I needed to get something out of my purse...like a boarding pass. I honestly could care less about what someone else thinks about them. I was not having either of my children be abducted in an airport. No one said anything and I didn't notice anyone giving me dirty looks. Although I was a little busy trying to keep them from ramming the stroller into someone...as pushing the stroller while I held the leashes was a way to keep them from complaining and keep them busy. I am happy with my decision and I would do it again.

31. melslp13

melslp13 Well-Known Member

I, too, was anti-leash until my kids got old enough to walk, and then I understood. I bought 2 for my girls because our playgroup was always going places where I wasn't comfortable keeping an eye on them in a large public place, but I wanted them to be able to get out and explore a little without the stroller. We tried them for about a week, though, and they just didn't work for us. Hannah kept tripping over the cord or pulling against it till she fell down, so I gave them away to someone else. I totally understand why other's use them though.

32. kristy horner

kristy horner Well-Known Member

FWIW, we have the "leashes" and so far so good. I've only used them a few times but it helped alot whene they split in opposite directions.Again personalities play a part. Mine HATE the strollers after about 40 minutes or so on a great day and I can't take the screaming/climbing out that occurs from the "if you don't hold my hand then you go in the stroller"...so we've decided that 2 happy, safe babies are better than 2 screaming miserable stroller babies with frazzled parents or 2 running wild kids that have split in different directions with a parent wondering around looking for them! LOL
    If it were an option right now, we'd do the hand holding but for long trips it's just not an option. To each his own...happy harnessing!

33. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

I've tried the leashes (monkey backpacks), but my boys just don't get it. They love having the monkey on, but when we try to actually use the leash part, it's a big mess. They see something and take off running toward it, which of course means they land on their butts as soon as they run out of strap! It would actually be comical if it wasn't so frustrating for them and for me. It happens over and over again, to the point that it's not a real solution for us.

Our boys are definitely runners, but they are very good about coming back to us. (In other words they run off for a short distance but come back when we say their names, but they do not just stay by us--and they're frankly too short to hold hands effectively - they have to reach and/or I have to stoop.) So that works just fine for our yard, where they are constantly running away and then coming back. But that doesn't work for a crowded store - so since the leashes aren't working, we have to stick them in the stroller always. Between snacks and sippies and trying to be as quick as possible, they still do fine there.

34. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

My boys are 3 (turned 3 in June) and I still use them in busy places. One of my boys (no matter how much I discipline him or how consistent I am with him) is a runner. I cannot trust him so he wears a backpack harness. He is a little ball of fire all day and that's his personality. I like that Kindercord though and may look into that. My other boy wears one too because he wants to wear what his brother is wearing. I can either harness them and be safe or stay at home and not live life to the fullest. I get some nasty looks, I get questions from other moms asking where they can buy one, and I seem to get lots of older moms of twins that say they wished they had something like that when their twins were young.

My boys are great in the stroller though when I take them shopping. They don't have any problem staying in until I'm done doing what I'm doing.

Mendy

35. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

ok, didn't read the replies, but i bought 2 of the wrist-leashes when the babies turned 1. so far i have not used them, as we mainly stick to the stroller and have been fine, but i will not hesitate to if needed. i do try to encourage hand holding, and DD will do so just fine, but DS pulls away and darts...so i'm sure his future will have at least one type of leash in it, be it wrist or backpack or full out harness, esp. in public and crowded places like the mall or amusement parks!!

who cares what others think? i used to think the harnesses seemed a bit offensive but never had a problem with the wrist ones, i think it's like having super long arms....now, though, i have changed my mind on harnesses and backpacks--anything that keeps kids safe® is FINE BY ME!