Toddler discipline book recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mama_dragon, Apr 29, 2011.

1. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for positive discipline books?

My very persistent strong willed boy has become more so (27 months).

I’ve read Raising your Spirited Child which was very helpful but I’m looking for more techniques to use. I am thinking of trying Setting Limits with Your Strong Willed child. Anyone read it?

Time outs DO NOT work. Any negative/punishment type techniques really do not reach him and usually end in 30+ min tantrums. I’m working on more reward/positive reinforcement, keeping my voice unemotional, etc. but I’d like some reading material so both the DH and I are on the same page.

Thanks!!

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I have read Raising the Spirited Child as well. Time outs arent effective for one of my twins. I have read alot of books about discipline. One I liked was the No Cry Discipline Solution. A very thought provoking read. GL.

3. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I will take a look at No Cry Discipline Solution. I read no cry sleep solution when they were infants and found it helpful. I didn't realize she had one on discipline.

Thanks!

4. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I highly recommend love and logic. It's similar in theory to 123 magic but is for all ages of kids instead of just young ones. It is very positive parenting and has actually made handling difficult situations fun instead of annoying. The only downside is that it has taken me a few months to really understand it enough to be successful with it.

5. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Here is the link to a book that you can download for free on Positive Discipline. It's produced by the Save the Children Foundation. I found it very helpful with my six-year-olds and really wish I would have read it a couple of years earlier.

http://seap.savethechildren.se/Global/scs/SEAP/publication/publication%20pdf/Child%20Protection/Positive%20Discipline%20Report%2023Aug07.pdf

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of 1-2-3 Magic. It does advocate time outs, but only as a portion of the discipline strategy, for when the child needs to calm down (not as punishment). In 1-2-3 Magic, time outs can be in the child's bedroom or even with toys... just somewhere different from where the child misbehaved to give him/her a chance to take a breather and refocus. It has really worked for us, and I like the fact that it's focused on helping children take responsibility for their own behavior rather than just mom or dad telling them what to do or not do.

Edited to add: I have read Love and Logic and I like that one too... but for me, 1-2-3 Magic was more useful. Love and Logic was like an add on, not a full discipline strategy.

7. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We are Love and Logic users here. Self-esteem building is huge for me. I just didn't want straight discipline or tricks. This is a thorough read and process and like LovelyLily said, it takes a while to understand I think also. I am looking at more long term than short term though...good luck. I think Love and Logic is a complete, well-rounded strategy that includes much more than discipline or immediate behavior fixes. And it takes a lot of practice, but what doesn't I guess? If you are more of a classroom learner, you can find L&L classes around the country. :)

8. trustinHim

trustinHim Well-Known Member

Positive Discipline by Jane Nelsen
    anything by Becky Bailey (I think conscious discipline is what it's called)
    Raising Emotionally Healthy Children forget the author

GOOD LUCK!