Today's OB Appt...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by anglinstork, Nov 30, 2006.

1. anglinstork

anglinstork Well-Known Member

Let's see...where to begin...RJ and I headed out to my OB Appt. this morning, DH was out hunting...

We had a long wait...and didn't get back to the room until an hour after our scheduled appt. time...UGH! But RJ was being fantastic...he was sitting like a little dude in the chair in the corner, listening to my IPod. LOL!

I weighed in at 171 pounds...so only up 2 pounds from 2 weeks ago. Felt like more!! I am sure my blood pressure was fine, she didn't tell me what it was.

I am measuring at 30 weeks...am a few days shy of 25 weeks now...WOW! Then he turned on the u/s machine to check for the heartbeats. They are beating nice and strong and he said that everything looks good.

He asked if the hospital did a cervical length and I said no, he was suppose to do it today - so he got prepared and checked. It was down to between 3.8-4.0cm 3.8-4.0cm from 5.3cm two weeks ago and there was an increased amount of beaking/funneling that measured at 93mm - two weeks ago they didn't measure or see ANY beaking/funneling...

He stood up and turned around with his back to me and said the dreaded words: "BEDREST"

I asked him to give me a definition and he said rest in bed. Bedrest. He asked me what Dr. Donald's instructions were...I told he had told me not to do anything that wasn't absolutely necessary. He said, right, you need to rest. I asked him about work. He said, you work from home so no problem. I told him that I also teach computer classes outside of the house and he again turned his back to me and said well you can decide if work is something that is absolutely necessary. I said we need the money. He grabbed me by the shoulder to give me a hug and said, "Your hubby should not be out hunting, he should be out making the money so you can be AT HOME RESTING."

UGH. UGH. UGH.

So of course, I had to make the call to DH and tell him - he said, I knew this was coming...you've been overdoing it.

I also had to call my Mom - that was a fun conversation - NOT. She finished the conversation with "whatever you decide to do and whatever happens to those babies will be on your head and your conscious for the rest of your life." Well, thanks. Yeah, that was a GREAT phone call.

All because of course, I am suppose to work tonight teaching for three hours and then all day long tomorrow, but I should be able to sit for the whole day tomorrow and the majority of the class tonight.

I just don't know what to do. I am feeling pretty numb.

2. anglinstork

anglinstork Well-Known Member

Let's see...where to begin...RJ and I headed out to my OB Appt. this morning, DH was out hunting...

We had a long wait...and didn't get back to the room until an hour after our scheduled appt. time...UGH! But RJ was being fantastic...he was sitting like a little dude in the chair in the corner, listening to my IPod. LOL!

I weighed in at 171 pounds...so only up 2 pounds from 2 weeks ago. Felt like more!! I am sure my blood pressure was fine, she didn't tell me what it was.

I am measuring at 30 weeks...am a few days shy of 25 weeks now...WOW! Then he turned on the u/s machine to check for the heartbeats. They are beating nice and strong and he said that everything looks good.

He asked if the hospital did a cervical length and I said no, he was suppose to do it today - so he got prepared and checked. It was down to between 3.8-4.0cm 3.8-4.0cm from 5.3cm two weeks ago and there was an increased amount of beaking/funneling that measured at 93mm - two weeks ago they didn't measure or see ANY beaking/funneling...

He stood up and turned around with his back to me and said the dreaded words: "BEDREST"

I asked him to give me a definition and he said rest in bed. Bedrest. He asked me what Dr. Donald's instructions were...I told he had told me not to do anything that wasn't absolutely necessary. He said, right, you need to rest. I asked him about work. He said, you work from home so no problem. I told him that I also teach computer classes outside of the house and he again turned his back to me and said well you can decide if work is something that is absolutely necessary. I said we need the money. He grabbed me by the shoulder to give me a hug and said, "Your hubby should not be out hunting, he should be out making the money so you can be AT HOME RESTING."

UGH. UGH. UGH.

So of course, I had to make the call to DH and tell him - he said, I knew this was coming...you've been overdoing it.

I also had to call my Mom - that was a fun conversation - NOT. She finished the conversation with "whatever you decide to do and whatever happens to those babies will be on your head and your conscious for the rest of your life." Well, thanks. Yeah, that was a GREAT phone call.

All because of course, I am suppose to work tonight teaching for three hours and then all day long tomorrow, but I should be able to sit for the whole day tomorrow and the majority of the class tonight.

I just don't know what to do. I am feeling pretty numb.

3. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Well, people will say what they want, huh? Sounds like you DH understands the situation though. I'm assuming you left out the part about the Dr saying he shouldn't be hunting? That was pretty...rude, IMO.
    It's hard to stop working and face the fear of no income. I'm a Realtor, so if I don't work, I don't get paid! It was hard to go on bedrest...but, in the long run, I know we'll work it out somehow and that if I don't adhere to the b/r, the situation could be worse. Better to stop work now and focus on growing healthy babies, than to keep working and risk having sick babies that will end up taking you away from work in the future. Does that make sense?
    It is hard, and although your Mom put it in less than sympathetic tones, the message was at least partially true. Your most important job now is to stay in bed.
    [​IMG]
    BTW, I was trying to figure out what an RJ was - Rowdy Junior? Retired Janitor? - when I realized that was your son's name!!LOL

4. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

I know how hard it is to hear the words "bedrest" and have to consider all the implications of that ... less income, less contribution overall, possibly going out of your mind ... but your number 1 job right now is to make sure that you grow these 2 babies as healthy as they can possibly be, and the sad fact is that your activity level contributes to their health and safety. Your mom could have been a lot more tactful and understanding, but there is some truth to what she said. I actually had a choice at 28 weeks, I could have continued working short hours or go off of work. The doctor made it clear that if I chose to work a few hours a day I could, but he strongly recommended going off of work, as I was getting some contractions and other things. I went off work. I was a big contributor to our household, too, but sometimes you just do what you have to do. My honey was completely understanding and knows that these babies are more important than the stress of work for a little bit more money. We are doing just fine. Your honey may have to forego hunting, even pick up a second job for a few months - mine had to forego several out-of-town trips (he's on a pit crew for a racing team and takes off work to do that) and put in more hours at his second job, but you do what you have to do. It sounds like yours would be understanding too. Don't forget, you may think that you are just "sitting" all day or whatever, but even the sitting position puts pressure on your cervix and can cause more damage.

You don't want to have complications later on and look back and wish you had stopped work earlier. You have the rest of your life to work; you have about 3 more months or so to make sure you give two human beings the best possible start in life.

[​IMG]

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear the pressure you are under. I am also sorry to hear about your cervical changes at this point. I can relate somewhat. I left work one day ( I was not only a full time employee but I was the bread winner in our family) for my regular appointment and was admitted to the hospital, the next day ambulanced to Boston to another hospital where I spent the next week and a half. I was contracting every 2 minutes. I was eventually sent home on complete bedrest where I remained for 6 weeks. It was a total of 15 weeks that I did not receive one penny of pay and again, my salary was more than my husband's. Money meant nothing in terms of the health of my children.

I will also repeat what Kendra said about not sitting. The key about bedrest is to stay horizontal.

I know it is a tough situation and I wish you all the best!

6. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

I am sorry you have to face this with so much more time to go. I think the doc's comment about your DH was rude. I mean, the guy is about to have twins...both of you should get some enjoyment out of life before then...it may be the last hunting he does for a WHILE. Anyway, I am assuming your DH does work, right? Honestly, I think you will manage without doing the classes. I know it is so scary. We went from a good 2 income family to a 1 income family when my son was born and I realized I couldn't leave him at 6 weeks to go back to work. You know, God just blessed us and we have made it (sometimes it seems like on financial fumes), but we have made it. When you are doing what is best for your kids, it seems like a way is made for you sometimes. I wish you the best!

7. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear about the bedrest. But I have to agree with the others... right now, as much as it sucks to lay around in bed, you need to focus on your babies. Are you planning on quitting sometime before the babies are born? Or after? Because if you were planning on leaving the job anyway, this is just a few months early.

By the way... I'm in northeast IL... are you getting the first winter storm tonight?

Helen

8. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hear you on the bedrest, I've been on it for almost 8 weeks.

Fortunately I've been able to work from home, but it hasn't been easy to type long emails on my left side.

But i've seen an improvement in my bp and my baby boy is doing better which makes it all worthwhile.

To quote a song, it will be a long December....as I try to make it to 37 weeks.

Miriam