Tips for Open Window Safety?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SweetpeaG, Feb 25, 2008.

1. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

We have had (an incredibly welcome week of) unseasonably warm weather (a balmy 55 :huh: ). I had a few of the windows open to enjoy the hiatus from Winter and realized that I simply can't do that anymore.

The boys are agile climbers and LOVE looking out the windows to watch trucks, birds, daddy washing his car, etc.

I'd like to be able to open them a few inches when it's nice out without endangering the boys. Any tips?

2. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

We had THIS in DS1's bedroom window at our old townhouse. Can't really help you if it works or not. Our place was 3 stories high, his bedroom was on the third floor, and I was still too freaked to open it. Poor guy his room got so hot too.
    Cari

3. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any good ways to keep windows safe. I heard you can put a bar in the window, but my kids would figure out how to get the bar out. We had a scare several months back where ds was sleeping in bed with us, woke up 1st & the window was open a little & he leaned on the screen & popped it out. Somehow dh just instinctively grabbed him in his sleep......it was a miracle, I think, that ds didn't fall out of the window, b/c it was about a 10 ft drop. I'm really nervous about windows now.

4. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

Here is a link to locks I have used before. They don't look like much but they screw onto the side of the sash above the window at a level you don't want the top of the bottom window to go above- screw them on tightly and they work really well. The little screw is too small for little fingers to get a good grip on.

5. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(cwinslow7 @ Feb 25 2008, 03:55 PM) [snapback]640163[/snapback]
    Here is a link to locks I have used before. They don't look like much but they screw onto the side of the sash above the window at a level you don't want the top of the bottom window to go above- screw them on tightly and they work really well. The little screw is too small for little fingers to get a good grip on.

So, looking at the picture, you fit this to your window and use the screw to tighten it to your window WITHOUT actually drilling into the window?

6. debid

debid Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Feb 25 2008, 06:04 PM) [snapback]640174[/snapback]
    So, looking at the picture, you fit this to your window and use the screw to tighten it to your window WITHOUT actually drilling into the window?

Exactly. I used them when I was a renter to secure my windows and they were surprisingly effective and could be installed without leaving a mark.

7. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(debid @ Feb 25 2008, 05:40 PM) [snapback]640328[/snapback]
    Exactly. I used them when I was a renter to secure my windows and they were surprisingly effective and could be installed without leaving a mark.

That's great news! Thanks everyone.

I think I'll try it out. I'll be sure to report back, but if it's as secure/effective as it 'sounds', and I mount it high enough it may even prove to be NICKnJOE Proof!

8. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

Sorry, missed this earlier today. The lock screws to the side track of the window, not the window itself. You open the window to the most open point you want it to go and fit the lock so that it is flush against the top of the lower sash. Once screwed on tightly, you go to open and the lock stops the progress of the window...

We had them in an office I worked at.

9. SweetpeaG

Thanks, ladies! I picked up some window sash locks at Home Depot last week and they installed quickly/easily with no damage to my windows and now I will have peace of mind and a non-stuffy house...all for the rock-bottom price of $8.75!

10. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

Now, if anyone has a solution for awning and casement windows that allows them to still be used by an adult, I'd love to hear about it. For now we've locked them and removed the handles from the locks. You can still open the locks with a chopstick (or with your fingers & some pain if you're really desperate) but this is not ideal and I fear the boys will learn the chopstick technique if they see it a couple of times.

11. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(debid @ Mar 5 2008, 01:38 PM) [snapback]654610[/snapback]
    Now, if anyone has a solution for awning and casement windows that allows them to still be used by an adult, I'd love to hear about it.

I don't have any windows like this; but I do have a lot of experience in home made child-proofing. ;) Can you post a picture of a window like yours (maybe from google images or something) so I can better visualize the scenario?

12. debid

debid Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Mar 5 2008, 04:59 PM) [snapback]654752[/snapback]
    I don't have any windows like this; but I do have a lot of experience in home made child-proofing. ;) Can you post a picture of a window like yours (maybe from google images or something) so I can better visualize the scenario?

This is an awning window and this is a casement window. They crank outward and the screens are indoors... at least they were... right now they're being preserved in a closet until T&T get over thinking the sound made from banging stuff on them is funny. Our windows are mounted with an awning window on the bottom and a casement window above it so it's like one enormous window. Most of them come to within a foot of the floor & ceiling so they're EASY for the boys to reach. They often stand on the sill of the awning window while holding the crank of the casement window (even though they can see just fine through the lower window!). And yes, we basically live in a glass house -- these huge windows are in every room (well, the bathrooms don't have the awning windows, just the casements).

13. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Okay, I now love my windows. We can open them from the top down and they are tight to slide up and down. None of my kids can open or close the windows when they are unlocked, not even my oldest. Even I sometimes have trouble. Because of that, I can open the top as far as I want and the kids can't move it!