Tips for cooking veggies?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SMax, Dec 9, 2009.

1. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

Okay...I am starting to feel like I spend all my free time in the evening prepping the kiddos' vegetables for the following day's lunch (I work FT, so this is the only time I have!).

I got some great dinner ideas from you...now I need some good vegetable prep ideas.

Mine are entering the "love it today, hate it tomorrow" phase. They eat a great lunch (when I am at work) and pick and throw most of their dinner on the floor.

Add that to the fact that I spend so much time prepping veggies (scrubbing, chopping, steaming/baking/etc, cubing, etc)...and I am going bonkers!

So, any quick/easy methods that you use for certain veggies? Or any great recipes?

(I never made my own baby food since I wasn't home with them...but I imagine that I am doing the same amount of work now!)

2. rmcobb12

rmcobb12 Well-Known Member

I do the steam fresh veggies. Pop them in the microwave for 5 min, rinse them or let them cool off a bit and they are ready. Can't get much easier than that!

3. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

Sweet potatoes. Peel and slice thinly...place in a pan with a small amount of heated olive oil on low (just enough to cover the bottom) I also use only about half of the sweet potato at once. heat the sweet potato slices till soft(4 min or so) and then add a bit of brown sugar and cook for about 1 min more.

-that's about all i've got =) the kids love it though. oh!

acorn sqaush.. you can heat in the microwave and then add butter, cinnamon and sugar..yummy!

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I have a Pampered Chef microwave steamer... and I cut a whole head of broccoli and cauliflower at a time (not always both...) and put it in a container to keep in the fridge. then when I go to need it, I scoop out a cup or two of the veggie and put it in the steamer, then add a bit of water, and microwave for 3 minutes. its pretty easy peasy!

I bake my squashes in the oven, on 400 or so, for 30-45 min. acorn squash, butternut etc.

I tried to cute and up the carrots ahead of time, and they seemed to get too dry, maybe I could if I stored them in water? or some water in the container? but I usually just wash, peel and cut those whenever I need.

good luck.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also use the steamfresh veggies, some of our local supermarkets also have their own brand of steamfresh veggies for cheaper. When I make them sometimes I add a little butter and a sprinkle of cheese...I am pretty fortunate my kids seem to like their veggies. I hope it stays that way!

6. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I boil carrots with a bit of cinnamon and vanilla in the water. My girls love them. I make a bunch at a time. They also love corn. I also get the steam fresh veggies. They sometimes like frozen or cooked peas. They aren't into veggies at the moment. They usually end up on the floor. I also do sweet potato french fries when I'm in a hurry. They love those most days.

7. 1sttwins

1sttwins Active Member

ziploc or someone like that have steam bags that are great. I'm not always a fan of the steamfresh stuff that's frozen - it doesnt always come out like the fresh stuff does, but I do keep some on hand in a pinch. If you cook more, you can alternate veggies that are leftovers.

8. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Maybe I am trying to be too heroic with my efforts? I try to have 4 different vegetables every day: 2 for lunch with the nanny and 2 at dinner with us. I swear I worry about the kids' diet more than DH and mine :)

If I try and repeat a veggie for dinner that was already offered at lunch...they will not touch it. Though, often they won't touch their veggies anyway...and all the work that I went through the night before goes in the yard waste bucket :(

9. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

One thing I've tried that I've made for myself and that they liked: I bought the broccoli/cauliflower bagged in the produce section, steamed it in the microwave, blended in the blender and added a little salt, garlic powder, butter and sour cream, put in a casserole dish, and topped with panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-40 min.

10. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

My guys like zucchini and summer squash. I slice them, quarter the slices, then pan-fry in olive oil and add a dash of soy sauce at the end. These are pretty much the only vegetables Nate will eat. At least it's something!