Thumb sucking

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by waitingfortwins, Mar 9, 2014.

1. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

His I have almost 14 mth old b/g tens and I just learned that my girl started sucking her thumb in her crib for naps and I'm assuming bedtime. We have a camera in their room so. Noticed her doing it one day. Both my kids never liked their pacifiers and I gave up when they were around three months. I stopped nursing or bottle feeding them to sleep at around 5 months for day naps and 8'months for bedtime.

Do you know if this will become a problem teeth wise? She started sucking her thumb while I was reading her a book and I pulled her thumb out and gave her a toy. She started crying though and I really don't want to focus on it making it seem like a bad thing to her. Any tips to curb this behaviour or at least confine it to sleep?

They are taking their nap now and. See that she is sleeping wth her thumb n her mouth....grrrr....

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My dentist said it wasn't worth fussing about (we have a pair of avid thumb suckers - currently 5.5). She said to encourage them to keep it to sleep times but not to worry about it otherwise.

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Mine are thumb suckers and the dentist is just now caring at almost 4.5. It's going to be a bear of a habit to break, but it was awesome that they self-soothed when they were small so I consider it a fair trade.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My uncle is a dentist, and he says not to worry about it.  Just starting at 14 months could be that she is getting some molars, and it soothes her.  Most kids do stop on their own.