Throwing a fit, crying, stomping, etc...HELP!!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by krysn2ants, Feb 18, 2007.

1. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

Ok ladies...I'm starting to get to my wit's end here. Lately Michael has started throwing fits and crying EVERY time I tell him no he can't do something or have something. We took the video games away about a week ago b/c he would throw a fit every time we told him it was time to turn them off. He's also been getting an attitude with me and talking back some. I'm hoping that it's just something that he's going thru and trying to deal with the separation from their father, moving from my Mom and step-dad in Florida, moving in with my Dad & step-mom, starting a new school & being separated from Isiah, etc, etc, etc. I've got a call into the school counselor to see if she can talk with him and help me out. The day that we took the video games away, their father had called and it was time to eat so I told him to come upstairs to talk to his Dad before dinner and he threw a fit b/c he was playing video games. He actually stood there holding the phone and crying and yelling "I don't want to talk!" Needless to say, he got sent to his room instead of sitting down to dinner with the rest of us. I tried talking to him after dinner to find out what was wrong with him but he just says "nothing"...I don't know, maybe he doesn't know how to tell me what's wrong. We went to the movie today and when I told them that they weren't getting any popcorn, it's too expensive, etc, he started crying again. My Dad got mad and told him that he wasn't going to bring him to the movies anymore...it's really starting to get on everyone's nerves b/c EVERY single time that we tell him no he starts to cry. And it's not like I've never told them no before so it's not like I used to give them everything they ever asked for. And, it's not just sitting there crying either, he'll go stomping up to his room and the other day he actually slammed the door! [​IMG] That's not cool with me, especially since he's only 7. I've got to get this under control NOW. I've always told them that they can tell me anything, they can come to me when something is bothering them, I'll always listen...I just don't know how to help him when he won't (or can't) tell me what's bothering him.

So, anyone else have any problems like this? How did you handle it? It will stop, right? (Please tell me it WILL stop!)

2. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

Ok ladies...I'm starting to get to my wit's end here. Lately Michael has started throwing fits and crying EVERY time I tell him no he can't do something or have something. We took the video games away about a week ago b/c he would throw a fit every time we told him it was time to turn them off. He's also been getting an attitude with me and talking back some. I'm hoping that it's just something that he's going thru and trying to deal with the separation from their father, moving from my Mom and step-dad in Florida, moving in with my Dad & step-mom, starting a new school & being separated from Isiah, etc, etc, etc. I've got a call into the school counselor to see if she can talk with him and help me out. The day that we took the video games away, their father had called and it was time to eat so I told him to come upstairs to talk to his Dad before dinner and he threw a fit b/c he was playing video games. He actually stood there holding the phone and crying and yelling "I don't want to talk!" Needless to say, he got sent to his room instead of sitting down to dinner with the rest of us. I tried talking to him after dinner to find out what was wrong with him but he just says "nothing"...I don't know, maybe he doesn't know how to tell me what's wrong. We went to the movie today and when I told them that they weren't getting any popcorn, it's too expensive, etc, he started crying again. My Dad got mad and told him that he wasn't going to bring him to the movies anymore...it's really starting to get on everyone's nerves b/c EVERY single time that we tell him no he starts to cry. And it's not like I've never told them no before so it's not like I used to give them everything they ever asked for. And, it's not just sitting there crying either, he'll go stomping up to his room and the other day he actually slammed the door! [​IMG] That's not cool with me, especially since he's only 7. I've got to get this under control NOW. I've always told them that they can tell me anything, they can come to me when something is bothering them, I'll always listen...I just don't know how to help him when he won't (or can't) tell me what's bothering him.

So, anyone else have any problems like this? How did you handle it? It will stop, right? (Please tell me it WILL stop!)

3. momoftwoangels

momoftwoangels Well-Known Member

I just wanted to give you [​IMG] , I would be willing to bet that with all the changes you all have been thru the past few months, that is probally playing a big role in his behavior.

4. Kathlene

Kathlene Well-Known Member

Sounds like it may be because of all the changes. He may be feeling overwhelmed w/ alot of conflicting feelings and not know how to feel and act to release these feelings. You could try talking to him one on one instead of asking what is wrong say I know you are upset because of etc., etc., etc. And I don't blame you for being upset. I know it is hard having all these changes. I feel upset to sometimes. My thinking is to try and draw him out this way. In the end you may find it is something as simple as not having any friends or missing his friends.

This is the only thing I can think of. HTH, good luck.

5. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

OH Krystal! Poor Michael and poor you! [​IMG]

I agree with Kathlene and Tammy. IT sounds like he is feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the changes. I think it sounds pretty normal, even though it is upsetting for you to see him acting out in a way which is unlike him, normally.

I like Kathlene's idea...maybe start the ball rolling by telling Michael that it is udnerstandable to feel a bit angry and confused by all that has been going on...and that you've felt like it too sometimes. You can then hear what he has to say...and maybe you'll get to the bottom of what is bothering him most and be able to work on that.

Good luck. Change is always a bit hard at first...even good changes.

6. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I wish I had a magic answer. My DD is going through a similar stage and it is driving me nuts. For now though all I can do is offer some [​IMG]