The worst cold I have ever seen

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, Nov 12, 2009.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

So we have had tons of colds over the past year, and I usually just put on the humidifier, use saline spray, maybe some baby vicks on their chests and they are still able to sleep (mine have been very good sleepers for over a year now). But my dd has the worst cold/cough I have ever seen right now. She has been coughing for 3nights straight, she coughs literally every 15min (not a dry cough, but a croakly, phlegm cough), and I am a light sleeper, so needles to say the both of us aren't getting much sleep. My DD will only sleep in her crib, I have tried bringing her into my bed and holding her upright (as this seems to help) as she sleeps, but she hasn't slept with me since she was 6wks old and thinks its time to be awake if she is in my bed. So last night, being her 3rd night of this (she actually coughs so hard that she ends up crying and nearly throwing up), I am about to loose my mind. And, here I am thinking, well thank goodness its not both of them - well, I should NOT have thought that, because as I was holding DD this morning at 4am trying to comfort her (when really nothing I do helps), I hear DS coughing as well and it is starting to sound suspiciously like croup (which he has had once before). How the heck do I deal with a croup cough (sit in steam bath, take outside in the cold), when I am also trying to deal with crying DD who is crackly and coughing until she vomits!
    Of course to add to this situation, DH is away on business for a few more days, and I live in the middle-east with no family around! I am ready to LOOSE IT! I have seriously not slept more then 6hrs total in 3 nights!! This feels like when they were newborns.

I am taking DD into the dr this afternoon, because after 3 nights of coughing fits, I need some help, or perhaps she has something more serious that I need to have checked out. But the thought of going to a clinic is almost sending me into tears - because I will probably have to wait hours, not to mention the locals here are not used to seeing a blond baby so they are always trying to touch her (which drives me insane normally, but its even worse at the clinic when all the kids there are sick and passing around germs!), and I am not even that confident that they will give me a correct diagnosis!

I am dreading tonight....they are both in seperate rooms right now, so I am going to blow up our air mattress and sleep in the hallway between them, that way I can determine who is crying/coughing and who to help first.
    sorry for my vent, I am just exhausted, overwhelmed, lonely and angry!

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry everyone is sick. Would you be able to get some buckwheat honey (or any type of dark honey)?

There have been numerous reports that taking honey at bedtime will reduce the coughing. Google "honey to relieve coughing in toddlers".

Last week my one DS had some chest congestion. He was not coughing but when he talked you could tell he had phlemg. I gave him 1/2 teaspoon of honey along with cinnamon before his nap and bedtime for about 3 days. The good thing about honey is that you can give them more if needed at any time verses medication. He did not wake at all when I gave it to him and his congestion was gone about 3 days later so I would say it worked.

I've been thinking about using honey for awhile. Then my bil sent me an email about the benefits of honey & cinnamon. Here's what is says about colds:

COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for three days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold, and clear the sinuses.

I believe that dosage is for adults but again with honey and cinnamon you don't need to worry about overdosing on them.

If you can get some honey I would give it a try today and see how she feels. They say you can use regular honey but the darker kind is best. I got mine at a health food store.

Good luck and I hope everyone feels better soon.

3. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

Oh BIG hugs to you. You are definitely doing the right thing by taking them to the pedi to get checked out. Can you ring in advance so they expect you? I do this and the most Ive ever had to wait in the surgery or ER is 30 mins, especially when it´s a child.

My DS had the same thing you described and was coughing so much on some nights I thought he´d been sick too. Strangely enough he rarely woke. If he did, some water and his dummy (paci) would be enough. Have you raised their mattresses so its at an angle (a big book or some nappies do the trick). Ive done this with both my LOs and it´s helped a lot. They coughed so much more when lying flat. DD is still sleeping like that as she has a nasty cough too. Also, lots and lots of liquids day & night if they want it. I found that drinking something helped to settle the cough. Their pedi also prescribed a cough medicine which is helping too. I´d also give them some Ibuprofen or paracetamol (painkillers) before going to bed and it has helped. My DS was so full of phlegm, etc, that he stopped eating and lost a lot of weight but he is much better now.

Im sorry, too, you´re dealing with this alone. :hug: Have you got any friends that could come & help during the day? Or someone you could maybe hire to help out?

Please let us know what the dr says. Hang in there, you can do this! :hug:

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I second the raising the mattress idea...when my LO's have a cold, I would put a pillow under the mattress on the side where their head rests. I also second the idea of honey. I have had a severe cough for the past three weeks and about the only thing that is helping me get a decent sleep at night is honey.
    Do you have any friends who could watch the babies for you while you at least get a nap or downtime for a couple of hours?

:hug: I hope your little ones feel better soon. Please let us know how you make out at the doctors :hug:

5. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

W has been coughing at night too - I think it has more to do with teething and the excess saliva.
    Wondering about the pillow under that matress - mine move around so much they end up at various ends of the crib. Any ideas on how (if) I can prevent this.
    Also how do you give the honey?

6. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I just measure it out on a 1/2 teaspoon and give it to them right from the spoon. I was going to use one of those medicine droppers but the honey was so thick I just decided to use the measuring spoon.

7. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Thanks for all you replies, boy it was a rough 5 days. My DS did end up having croup, and I did give him some steroid meds, which helped a little, but I was still up with at least 8 times that night, not to mention up twice with DD who was coughing so hard she was crying. I also did enlist the help of my friend for that morning (thank goodness it was the weekend) and she took the kids that morning while I got a few hours of sleep.

I am now doing honey more often, and have raised the mattresses in their cribs. Since they always sleep at different ends - I raised both sides of the mattress (yes, it looks a bit like a u-shape)- and that seemed to really help!

Thanks all! I made it through, and now DH is back (although he is still sleeping and its noon here!). Sometimes its just nice to know that someone is around if you need the help.

Actually I just pour the honey on the spoon and give it to them after their meals, they lick it all off and have fun doing it. Or alternatively you could just hold the spoon while you feed it to them.

8. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say hang in there. I think sick kids is almost worse on the mom. Max & Lily has three colds last season and it was all yucky sneezes with congestion, but no coughs so I can't offer advice. Try to get some rest so you don't get sick next. :hug:

9. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

So pleased you´re all doing better though I am sorry to hear about the croup. Hope he´s feeling better. Its such a relief when you come out the other side, isnt it! :hug:

10. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

It is so hard when our little ones are sick. I hope everyone is better soon.

Dianna

11. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear your twin moms were here to help you. Some great suggestions that I've never heard of but great to keep in mind if I should need it. It is so scary to deal with stuff when you are all alone and such little sleep. You need a day away alone after all this. Just a nice hotel with a spa and a good pool !! You deserve it. Oh and a pina colada.

Heather