The inevitable Christmas thread

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

What, nobody's posted yet???

I'm getting too much for my kids this year... again. Stuff that had been sitting in a closet for a couple years (thanks to past Thanksgiving sales or clearance), plus what they actually asked for (most of it), plus of course more books and a puzzle, just because. But I figured that at almost 7, it might be the last year they still believe in Santa, and it won't be long before all they ask for is electronics and video games, so heck.

What are your kids into? Do they still believe in Santa?

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I have to get going with my shopping.  This year I've been so busy that we don't have our tree up yet, I'm not even close to being done shopping, I haven't thought about cards, I'm just totally off my game.  

My girls are 7 1/2 and they've asked for surprisingly little.  A really wants a kindle, M want this 3d puzzle thing (epic?), both want another beenie boo (octopus and owl), and clothes.  And just like that I feel like they are tweens :(  We are also spending christmas out of town, so not only do I have to shop still, I have to ship too.  I may order some stuff on amazon and have it shipped directly to my sister in law's house.    I am going to put actual thought into the holidays this weekend, so maybe I'll come back to this thread and update.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah we are invited to my brother in law but I'm passing this year! 2 days of driving plus just not convenient at all with all the presents in the trunk, lol!

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

You couldn't pay me to drive 2 days to celebrate christmas with the in laws.  I choose flying any day even if though I feel like cattle being corralled.

5. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i just posted about my issue.  they still love the same stuff, and i'm really trying to get them different gifts this year. 
    so... one loves science and one loves animals, both love art... but other than that i'm at a loss. 
    both still believe in santa, I think. I don't know actually!  I told them we're going to Breakfast with Santa tomorrow morning, and they weren't as excited as I was lol!

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do one present to each child from Justin and myself. And then we put all our names in a hat and each draw a name to buy a gift for that person. The kids get stockings. Justin buys for his parents and I buy for my dad. That is it, that is all.

Emmett is getting a Kidizoom camera (he's always trying to play with his sisters's cameras and they're having none of it). The girls want purses, make up, and belts. Talk about feeling like you have tweens! :laughing: I think my in-laws are planning to purchase a family zoo pass for us which I'm excited about.

We'll spend Christmas Day with Justin's family and the week after Christmas my whole family will be here!! I'm so excited. It'll be the first time we'll all be together in 6 years. I can't wait.

7. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

We're cutting back a little this year. The girls are in expensive activities that have really stretched out budget and TBH, have way too much stuff already! They really haven't asked for much - at least not things they are going to get. None of them believe in Santa this year for the first time. sniff sniff We still did the sit on santa's lap thing  - and two asked for a dog (which we have told them we are not getting) and one asked for a gymnastics camp that is out of state and over $1,000 - no, that is not a typo haha Rachel has also asked for a cell phone (no), a TV for her room (no) and an iPad (no).  Last year, I way overbought and then held some stuff back. Since they haven't given me many ideas that are true possibilities, they will mostly be getting those things.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We're getting the kids some Mario games for the Wii (second hand,score!). I also found them their traditional Christmas jammies, and when I was in the US a couple weeks ago I bought some candy we don't get here for their stockings. Kris and I weren't going to exchange gifts, but I found something I think he might need, although he'll probably return it because he's like that. We spent a fortune on airplane tickets to Ontario though, so no one else is getting anything. We'll take the family there out to dinner or to a movie on Christmas day or something like that.

Oh! And this year I am really excited that the boys can do their cousin's gift exchange. They haven't been included before because we don't really see them at Christmas, but this year we decided to have a post Christmas get together and the boys are in. I think they'll have a blast.

9. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We will stay here for xmas, but go over to Grandma's house for time with grandparents and cousins.  We just get to sleep in our own beds :)

We wanted to get each of the kids really nice radio/cd players this year.  That was harder than we thought to find anything with a cd player in it.  We wanted something nicer than the Walmart special, but not really a Bose (actually, we didn't even like the Bose for them because you can only control it with the remote.  There are no buttons on the face.)  We ended up finding something really nice on Amazon.  It has a remote, and buttons on the face for when they temporarily misplace the remote.  It has radio presets so we can change channels easier.  They can also plug their mp3 players into them.  When they get more tech toys, it also will play music wirelessly.  Sarah would love to xmas music year round and Timothy lives for ESPN radio.

Sarah is getting a radio, headphones (a request) and a loop-de-loom.  In her stocking is chocolate, a small lego set, 2 small things from AG, and a Brian Seltzer Orchestra xmas cd.   For her bday (3 weeks later) she's getting a Lego set, a loop-de-doo, and a very thick, heavy book from National Geographic about how everything works.

Timothy is getting a radio, headphones (also a request) and a Lego set.  In his stocking is chocolate, a small lego set, a Weird Al cd, a bowling ball cleaner cloth, and rainbow loom bands.  For his bday, he's getting a Lego set, a model car, and a very thick, heavy Sports Illustrated book on some of the great debates of basketball, like is Michael Jordan or Lebron James better.  

This year, that will be about all they get.  Most of the extended family is cutting way back, and that's perfectly fine with us. We're spending some money on them, especially for the radios, but I know that all of it is a very good gift for them.  We also decided that although the radios are nice and they'll enjoy them, they are still at the age when they really should have something  to play with, do, or figure out on xmas morning. So, Timothy's going to have a Lego set to build and Sarah will have her loom to figure out.  

Marissa

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I have no idea. Anna is getting an American Girl doll (Kit's best friend Ruthie, who I snatched up when she was discontinued earlier this year) and really wants an Elsa doll. Jack is probably getting something to display his karate belts and I don't know what else. Ellie has no clue and is getting something small. They all get stockings that I go crazy on, but otherwise, we have too much stuff.

11. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have no clue what we are getting my girls. 

I think my FIL is getting my girls wii U.  Knowing my FIL that means that DH and I will have to get the girls games for it.  I'm hoping that since they are spending  3 nights at his house without DH and I, he will give it to them then, and hook it up at his house , and then go and buy games for it once he realizes.  

12. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

My boys are getting an Animal Planet Helicopter from Santa x2.  Its their big request even though I know the quality isn't the best.  Also a playmobil Volcano x2 that I found on clearance that they have eyed for over a year but knew it was too expensive.  They are the only kids on both sides under the age 18 so from family they will be getting snap circuit sets, legos, Schleih (sp?) animals which they play with all the time, imaginext for their pirate ship/castle which they play with a lot as well, trains, puzzles and books. 

Fortunately they both love to play and actually do play with their toys for hours on end.  TV is rare and they don't get to use technology so no electronic games etc.  So I have no problem with them getting new toys. 

13. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is our family's first year with someone little at Christmas . He'll be 14 months at Christmas. I bought him his outfit for his Christmas pictures (taken tomorrow) and will get him an ornament (a fight mom and I have had who gets to do it -- BOTH). He doesn't NEED anything but I know he is going to be buried. He is the first baby on bil's side in 13 years and I know his parents spend big on the other two grandchildren so watch out. My side is less but I think half my mom's spare room is Kyler stuffs. 

I still need my dad, Connie, Brandon and staff (3) since I'm the supervisor. I think I'm going to make that clear ornament "melted snowman" for the girls at work.  No idea for the others. I also buy for my grandmother, aunt and uncle but we have at $10 limit and I just give Connie $30 to cover us going together. 

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids still believe in Santa and they are not too sure about the Elf on the Shelf (we don't go wild with him, he just plays and hide and seek).
    We got both kids their own tablets (Giga-something from QVC), my son is really into cars so he had a list of cars he'd like to get, which we tried to get.  My daughter wants every toy in existence...and she loves Paw Patrol, so she got some Paw Patrol stuff.  The big thing is their birthday, which is the day after Christmas this.  This year they are being surprised by Mom and we all are going to see Frozen on Ice.  They just saw a commercial for it on Thanksgiving and went nuts, with no idea they are going to it.
    Christmas Eve, we go to my husband's cousin's house, his family does the feast of the 7 fishes.  Christmas Day we are home and we host dinner...it's like we have two Christmases in one day, the one in the morning and the one when the sisters come over!

15. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I significantly cut down on what I bought for the family (not kids) because we are making the trip home this year.  We haven't been home in 3 years.  So basically my present to everyone is seeing us.  So there.  Nothing fills me with holiday joy quite like a 12 hour car trip with 4 kids.  :laughing:   I'm secretly hoping it snows back home so I can make an excuse not to go...

The twins are getting a 3DS XL each and a few games. One of them is really into drawing, so he's getting some drawing pads. The younger two are just getting some toys.

16. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

This year I will truly stick to 'Something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read' plus the annual traditional gifts.

Want - not sure what they want yet, maybe Playmobil
    Need - alarm clock
    Wear - school appropriate clothes
    Read - Dragonology and Wizardology
    Annual Xmas Ornament - to reflect something significant that happened this year
    Xmas Eve PJs - princess nightgown
    From Santa - microscope slides and  fossil dig sets
    Stocking - orange, santa and reindeer chocolates, other bits and pieces