The Duggars are inviting you to watch

Discussion in 'General' started by Gordana, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

QUOTE(valentinetwins @ Dec 9 2008, 07:44 PM) [snapback]1104490[/snapback]
    I did not read all the replies so forgive me if I repeat someone elses sentiments.

Why are so many moms on here bashing the Duggers, and especially the mom????? While I do not agree with their religious beliefs, I applaud ANY family that can manage to raise their children to be responsible, courteous, hard working, intelligent, God fearing citizens!!!!!!! I mean honestly I think that woman should be given a medal for all her hard work. There are Many Catholics I know who have the same belief about birth control and have many many children.....maybe not 18, but hey they did not start out as young. If her kids were delinquents, or irresponsible in some way that yes I can agree with some of you but this family is as wholesome as it gets. She is not the first and will not be the last I'm sure who allows a TV show to air the birth of her child. Cut her some slack for petes sake.

The parents are not raising their children. The older kids are all raising their younger siblings, making dinners for that huge family, laundry, cleaning while Jim-Bob keeps knocking up his wife. How is that responsible parenting? She doesn't deserve a medal for her hard work, because she doesn't do any hard work. All of her kids do the work, while she keeps popping out babies, like parts on an assembly line.

2. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

This is the way their family works. They are not abusing their children. I still don't get what the big deal is. They have a large family and this is how they are able to make it work. May not be anyone elses "perfect family model" or "normal childhood" but what family is perfect and what childhood is "normal" and whose standards are you using to decide this? If you don't like the way they choose to live their lives then don't watch their show.

3. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Gordana @ Dec 9 2008, 06:51 PM) [snapback]1104497[/snapback]
    The parents are not raising their children. The older kids are all raising their younger siblings, making dinners for that huge family, laundry, cleaning while Jim-Bob keeps knocking up his wife. How is that responsible parenting? She doesn't deserve a medal for her hard work, because she doesn't do any hard work. All of her kids do the work, while she keeps popping out babies, like parts on an assembly line.

Wow..just wow. LOL I am stunned at to how much this family bothers you. Really isn't there anything else in the World to worry about?

Brandy

4. Gordana

Brandy many, many liberal families bother you. I'm sure you have other things to worry about too :)

5. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(Gordana @ Dec 9 2008, 07:17 PM) [snapback]1104522[/snapback]
    Brandy many, many liberal families bother you. I'm sure you have other things to worry about too :)

Not really. I have more important things to worry about. I just think its funny that this family has 11 pages of people griping over how they choose to raise their family. LOL

6. Gordana

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 9 2008, 08:24 PM) [snapback]1104532[/snapback]
    Not really. I have more important things to worry about. I just think its funny that this family has 11 pages of people griping over how they choose to raise their family. LOL

And that's just it, I don't believe they are raising their family. The kids are raising the family.

7. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(Gordana @ Dec 9 2008, 07:28 PM) [snapback]1104540[/snapback]
    And that's just it, I don't believe they are raising their family. The kids are raising the family.

Well I guess I am the mother of 6 kids instead of 3 then. I helped raise my brothers and sister. What works from some families may not work for others, but who cares what she makes those kids do..as long as it isn't abuse? Their kids could be out drinking..smoking who knows what and getting pregnant, but their parents make sure they are fed, clothed and brought up in the Word of God. I think its awesome..and there would be a lot less "bad" things in the world if more families did what the Duggars do. I don't agree with people who don't spank their children..but I won't sit here and tell them they are wrong, just because what works for me..might not work for them.

The Duggars are doing things their way..against what the World thinks is normal. I think its awesome to be able to stand up and face such hate, and keep going. Good for them. :)

Brandy

8. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

I bet you a dollar to a donut that if there were a family popping out 47 atheists a minute AND had show telling the world how great it was, there would be some torches and pitchforks coming out. Like I said, they are going to outnumber us all soon I worry. BUT my kids may have a good chance at getting into Harvard or Yale if they flood the gene pool. So maybe its a wash.

9. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jennie-OH @ Dec 4 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]1097408[/snapback]
    I've never seen that show. I have to admit, I don't think this will entice me to tune in.

Is the Dad's name REALLY "Jim Bob"?!

My husabnd asked the exact same thing! LOL!

10. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Dec 9 2008, 07:59 PM) [snapback]1104501[/snapback]
    This is the way their family works. They are not abusing their children. I still don't get what the big deal is. They have a large family and this is how they are able to make it work. May not be anyone elses "perfect family model" or "normal childhood" but what family is perfect and what childhood is "normal" and whose standards are you using to decide this? If you don't like the way they choose to live their lives then don't watch their show.

Cheryl, I agree 100% with this. It isn't a big deal, imo, which is why I feel like the Duggars have already used up their 15 minutes of fame. But I have no issue with the size of their family (it is for them to decide) or how they are raising their children. I may not choose to raise my family the same way, but I also don't feel they are abusing their children or anything. By the same token, they are just a family, no better or worse than mine or yours or anyone else's.

11. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Dec 10 2008, 02:08 AM) [snapback]1104605[/snapback]
    Cheryl, I agree 100% with this. It isn't a big deal, imo, which is why I feel like the Duggars have already used up their 15 minutes of fame. But I have no issue with the size of their family (it is for them to decide) or how they are raising their children. I may not choose to raise my family the same way, but I also don't feel they are abusing their children or anything. By the same token, they are just a family, no better or worse than mine or yours or anyone else's.

I did meant to say though, that I agree with this. Let 'em do what they want-it's not my place to tell anyone how to raise thier kids. (But hooooo boy, the stink I started when I said that same thing in a John and Kate Plus 8 thread! I think the boards still all burny from that one! :D)

12. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Dec 9 2008, 08:56 PM) [snapback]1104588[/snapback]
    I bet you a dollar to a donut that if there were a family popping out 47 atheists a minute AND had show telling the world how great it was, there would be some torches and pitchforks coming out. Like I said, they are going to outnumber us all soon I worry. BUT my kids may have a good chance at getting into Harvard or Yale if they flood the gene pool. So maybe its a wash.

Now this is what I call exaggerating.

And for me personally I would NOT be one of those holding a torche or pitchfork. And who would it be that would be holding those torches and pitchforks? christians? (only said because you chose to example atheists) I would like to see you link me to any post on this site that shows a pronounced christian speaking out badly about a "non christian" family and the way they choose to raise their family the way it is happening in this thread. I know there are posts by christians defending their right to live their life and raise their children the way they choose to but nowhere have I ever seen a post speaking so badly about a non christian family for not raising their family with christian morals. And that IMHO is the BIG problem most people have with this whole Duggar family. You all may not want to admit it but I think that is what it all boils down to. A family choosing to raise their children with conservative christian values in todays world. Get over it. They are not your children, you are not responsible for them and I highly doubt anyone here has to worry that one of their children will be stuck having to reproduce with a Duggar being stuck having a grandchild with a "J" name.

13. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Dec 9 2008, 08:43 PM) [snapback]1104664[/snapback]

And for me personally I would NOT be one of those holding a torche or pitchfork. And who would it be that would be holding those torches and pitchforks? christians? (only said because you chose to example atheists) I would like to see you link me to any post on this site that shows a pronounced christian speaking out badly about a "non christian" family and the way they choose to raise their family the way it is happening in this thread. I know there are posts by christians defending their right to live their life and raise their children the way they choose to but nowhere have I ever seen a post speaking so badly about a non christian family for not raising their family with christian morals. And that IMHO is the BIG problem most people have with this whole Duggar family. You all may not want to admit it but I think that is what it all boils down to. A family choosing to raise their children with conservative christian values in todays world. Get over it. They are not your children, you are not responsible for them and I highly doubt anyone here has to worry that one of their children will be stuck having to reproduce with a Duggar being stuck having a grandchild with a "J" name.

This deserves a big AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping:

14. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Dec 9 2008, 07:02 PM) [snapback]1104414[/snapback]
    BTW, that first blog post she referenced totally cracked me up: "it’s Little House on the Prairie with a hint of Nascar!" I know not in good taste but pretty funny stuff nonetheless! :lol:

OMG i totally copied that and was going to paste it here and share that i thought that was HILARIOUS!!!! she really does have a horrible hair do.

15. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I do not care if the family decides to raise their kids as witches, christians or athiests. All I know is that any family that has their whole life on tv to exploit their children for money is not OK to me.

16. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Dec 10 2008, 02:43 AM) [snapback]1104664[/snapback]

Yeah, I guess torches and pitchforks was exagerrating. Maybe they would just sic James Dodson on them. How many times have you all said "They are teaching these kids good morals, they could be drinking, getting pregnant, swearing, blah, blah, blah" Funny, I know a LOT of christians with these said "good" morals and they arent so great. I wish you all would just admit the reason you have SUCH love for the Duggars is b/c they are the poster children for extreme fundamentalist christians. Sadly, I think more people wish they had as much control over their kids as the Duggars do over theirs.

They practice pretty simple cult tactics, they keep their kids locked away from the world under the guise of "protection" just so they will never really know what else is out there.

Oh and BTW, I do have a problem their religious views and the fact that they are breeding an army of 'em. And the fact that these kids NEVER got a CHOICE or CHANCE to know otherwise. I never said I didnt.

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 10 2008, 03:04 AM) [snapback]1104692[/snapback]
    This deserves a big AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping:

I thought praise was reserved for Jesus? It works on message boards too? I swear I learn something new everyday! Hey, If I throw some water on my computer will that bless it?

17. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Dec 9 2008, 10:29 PM) [snapback]1104732[/snapback]

Oh and BTW, I do have a problem their religious views and the fact that they are breeding an army of 'em. And the fact that these kids NEVER got a CHOICE or CHANCE to know otherwise. I never said I didnt.
    I thought praise was reserved for Jesus? It works on message boards too? I swear I learn something new everyday! Hey, If I throw some water on my computer will that bless it?

yet another example of someone trying to tell Christians what is right and wrong with the way they choose to live and believe. And please try blessing your computer :rolleyes:

I hope this thread has run it's course and will be closed soon.

18. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Dec 9 2008, 09:29 PM) [snapback]1104732[/snapback]
    Yeah, I guess torches and pitchforks was exagerrating. Maybe they would just sic James Dodson on them. How many times have you all said "They are teaching these kids good morals, they could be drinking, getting pregnant, swearing, blah, blah, blah" Funny, I know a LOT of christians with these said "good" morals and they arent so great. I wish you all would just admit the reason you have SUCH love for the Duggars is b/c they are the poster children for extreme fundamentalist christians. Sadly, I think more people wish they had as much control over their kids as the Duggars do over theirs.

They practice pretty simple cult tactics, they keep their kids locked away from the world under the guise of "protection" just so they will never really know what else is out there.

I dont know I am not catholic..and don't believe in Holy water, so I guess you would have to ask one of them. :) But can we try to have a conversation without getting rude??

Oh and the Amen can be used about anything, for preachers..for missionaries and for simply agreeing with someone. I am glad you learned something tonight. ;)

Brandy

19. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

yes but when such beliefs are forced to be the model for EVERYONE'S morals (as most Christians would love to do) it becomes an issue....and having 18 more of them in the world just brings it that one step closer....

20. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Dec 9 2008, 09:46 PM) [snapback]1104754[/snapback]
    yes but when such beliefs are forced to be the model for EVERYONE'S morals (as most Christians would love to do) it becomes an issue....and having 18 more of them in the world just brings it that one step closer....

Ahh..I get it now. Christians shouldn't have children..right???

Brandy

21. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

I would love to see if they grow up to EVER do anything without mommy's permission ... ya know, don't step off the blanket unless you are allowed to. It's just stifling a child's curious nature .

I could say the same of playpens, or baby gates, or holding a child to keep them out of something.

22. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

So have the Roloff's been mentioned in this thread yet?

23. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 9 2008, 10:43 PM) [snapback]1104751[/snapback]
    I dont know I am not catholic..and don't believe in Holy water, so I guess you would have to ask one of them. :) But can we try to have a conversation without getting rude??

Oh and the Amen can be used about anything, for preachers..for missionaries and for simply agreeing with someone. I am glad you learned something tonight. ;)

Brandy

You are right Brandy I was wrong to suggest that she toss water on her computer. I am sorry Jenny and I am sorry to any Catholics I may have offended by saying she should bless her computer. I am not Catholic either and do not believe in the use of Holy Water but I am not going to tell people they are wrong to practice this part of their religion or teach it to their children (no matter how many they have).

And I also wanted to add that AMEN is not a bestowing of a praise it is a word that one uses to agree.

24. MeghanHen

MeghanHen Active Member

This is the one show that I watch and have enjoyed about a large family. All though I can't get over them expecting #18 after #17 seems like was just born!

My complaints so far about this show; is the cousin Amy coming on. While she bring humor to the show, she gets on my nerves whenever she's on. The other thing was the control they have over their kids KISSING before becoming married! That is flat out ridicolous to me and it drove me nuts with Josh and his wife (forget her name now) saying "I love you" over and over and over and over! Ugh, my husband was like just kiss already! And come on, sending one of the kids to babysit on their date/outting...gimme a break! Ugh!

While I enjoy the show, some of their values drive me up a wall!

25. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

nevermind...its not worth the pissing contest...

26. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Dec 9 2008, 08:43 PM) [snapback]1104664[/snapback]

Thank you for telling us why we have a problem with this family. That's quite a generalization you make. You all can continue to go back and forth about the Christian aspect of this issue, but I'll bet if you reread this thread, it is not brought up by the vast majority of posters who have issues with the family. Oh, unless we just aren't aware of our "real" issues with them....

Come on, people, can't we have differing opinions without going there?

27. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Dec 9 2008, 09:54 PM) [snapback]1104768[/snapback]
    it depends - are they going to become politicians trying to rule my life and morals?

Cant the same thing be said about liberals or atheist?? lol I would never tell a person they can't have children..I think its rude..even if they are of a different belief then me..and think the way I bring up my children is wrong.

Brandy

28. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Dec 9 2008, 09:54 PM) [snapback]1104768[/snapback]
    nevermind...its not worth the pissing contest...

Your right...Its not worth it. I am done...

Brandy

29. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Holy water would not be used to bless your computer. Catholics use it to bless themselves when they enter/leave the church and you can take some home with your for blessing yourself at home, but you don't use it to bless things. The church makes a different kind of Holy water called Gregorian water to bless altars, churches, etc.

30. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(melissao @ Dec 10 2008, 04:01 AM) [snapback]1104780[/snapback]
    Holy water would not be used to bless your computer. Catholics use it to bless themselves when they enter/leave the church and you can take some home with your for blessing yourself at home, but you don't use it to bless things. The church makes a different kind of Holy water called Gregorian water to bless altars, churches, etc.

I didn't know that! Interesting-I learned something kind of cool about another faith tonight. Thanks melissao. Cool fact!

31. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

My 16 yo and his girlfriend always take one of their siblings on their dates. They choose not to be alone together because they don't trust themselves to keep things innocent. They also have made the decision (at this point) to not kiss, for the same reason. <shrug> I'd rather them make a decision that most people think is weird, then end up doing something they regret.

Proof that they are not freaks. At least in looks, lol
    http://picasaweb.google.com/way2tyred/Favo...008592864478242
    http://picasaweb.google.com/way2tyred/Etha...424892585408242

32. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

:BDH: :headbang:

Someone had to do it!

Did I somehow get warped into the corn? :wacko:

33. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

:BDH:
    Uh oh! Did that poor horse try to get off the blanket??!?!

34. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Snittens @ Dec 10 2008, 05:03 AM) [snapback]1104850[/snapback]
    :BDH:

OMG!!! I am crying!!! :rotflmbo:

35. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

Thank you for kicking off my morning with a laugh. :laughing: