The Duggars are inviting you to watch

Discussion in 'General' started by Gordana, Dec 4, 2008.

1. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Gordana @ Dec 6 2008, 07:17 PM) [snapback]1100509[/snapback]
    Oh you mean like Sarah Palin?? ;)

Gimme a break. These people need to get the hell off tv and go live their lives. And maybe they should give their kids a childhood instead of making them raise their younger siblings.

Or maybe they should just live their life like they want too. OH..they already do. ;)

2. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

Good grief.
    Some of you are making it seem like ther is no middle ground in raising kids. The suggestions being made are ridiculous (like let the Duggars dress like tramps and make out with lots of people and get pregnant as teens...and then they'd be accepted...???)

News flash - you don't have to live like the Duggars to be good moral people.
    'Regular' kids (translated not like the Duggars) are not destined to lives of illicit immoral behavior.
    The Duggars are examples of extremists. Much the same way parents that allow their children to run wild and live immoral lives are extremists.
    Some of us here are just saying there is room for good morals and religion and exposure to the outside world, etc. It's about teaching your kids good judgment and the ability to face temptations and evils in the 'real' world and still be able to do the 'right' thing. The Duggars are not giving their kids that opportunity. Yes that is their choice as their parents. But that doesn't mean we all have to say it is a good choice.

3. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Rose524 @ Dec 6 2008, 08:05 PM) [snapback]1100551[/snapback]
    Good grief.
    Some of you are making it seem like ther is no middle ground in raising kids. The suggestions being made are ridiculous (like let the Duggars dress like tramps and make out with lots of people and get pregnant as teens...and then they'd be accepted...???)

'Regular' kids (translated not like the Duggars) are not destined to lives of illicit immoral behavior.
    The Duggars are examples of extremists. Much the same way parents that allow their children to run wild and live immoral lives are extremists.
    Some of us here are just saying there is room for good morals and religion and exposure to the outside world, etc. It's about teaching your kids good judgment and the ability to face temptations and evils in the 'real' world and still be able to do the 'right' thing. The Duggars are not giving their kids that opportunity. Yes that is their choice as their parents. But that doesn't mean we all have to say it is a good choice.

:good:

4. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I still don't see what is so horrible about this family. They are raising their children the way they choose to. This is America. They have a large family and they started this family after they were married because they love each other and they wanted children. I really think it is silly that it seems some people appear to think that she is having children just to be on TLC and get money. So others do not agree with their lifestyle, they would not raise their children the same way they do. That is your free choice.

My SIL & BIL have 10 children. They home school, have church in their home, grow/hunt for much of their food and before they built their home they lived in the basement of the home for several years cooking on a wood stove. My SIL also (with the help of her children) make many of the outfits they wear. They do not watch TV and the children know how to use a computer but they do not live their lives through one. My oldest niece just got married after a short courtship and they are now starting a family of their own. They are healthy and happy. No they do not have a TV show but easily could be an interesting TLC series. I say interesting because it would be and I say on TLC (The Learning Channel) because it would be a show that would allow people to learn about how other people do things. You don’t have to do it the same way.

I also wonder of people would rant less if they were raising their children more like some parents do on the reality TV shows like “At home with Osborns” or whatever the others shows were .

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 6 2008, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1100483[/snapback]
    Actually I looked in the blanket training. I have no problem with it. I just found it wasn't what we needed to "train" our children up. I do not think blanket training is bad at all though..

Brandy

Seriously? Wow. I disagree with all that "train up a child" stuff though. I'm not training children, I'm raising children.

6. 4lilmonkeys

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Dec 6 2008, 08:26 PM) [snapback]1100581[/snapback]
    I also wonder of people would rant less if they were raising their children more like some parents do on the reality TV shows like “At home with Osborns” or whatever the others shows were .

Oh yes. Because, of course anyone who might disagree with that sort of religious upbringing must obviously be totally fine with a family like the Osbournes. :rolleyes: Come on. Really?

7. Snittens

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Dec 6 2008, 09:34 PM) [snapback]1100588[/snapback]
    Oh yes. Because, of course anyone who might disagree with that sort of religious upbringing must obviously be totally fine with a family like the Osbournes. :rolleyes: Come on. Really?

Exactly. Most of us who disagree with the Duggars said we disagree with the whole putting your family on a reality show thing in general. An Oprah appearance or onetime special? Not that big of a deal (I still wouldn't do it, unless I felt like I could help other people by sharing our story somehow, but I'm incredibly shy). Having yourself on TV day in and day out is a different story.
    IMO, it does seem like the Duggars keep having more children because that is their "thing", it's their identity. If they stopped having kids, people would stop watching. Why wean the baby at 6 months? So she can get pregnant again.

8. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Rose524 @ Dec 6 2008, 09:05 PM) [snapback]1100551[/snapback]
    Good grief.

Excellent post. Everything in moderation. Not a bad motto to live by. Thanks for posting!

9. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

I don't know if you mean this in a bad way or good way--I'm assuming bad. I think it speaks loads of her and her husband's character that they have children who can take the responsibility of younger siblings. She has to have help with that many children and I don't see it as shirking her duties as a mother at all. She and her husband are definitely in charge, there is no doubt about that. I instruct my son on how to interact with my girls. That is part of raising a child; teaching them responsibility. It just happens they have more responsibility than most children because there are so many of them.

I agree that she must need help with so many children. My point is that while it is OK to give children responsibility, it is not OK IMO to make them so completely responsible for their younger siblings that it is ALL they do. Having to wake up every morning at the age of 10 or 12 and have to assist a younger sibling, prepare dinner for 19 people (that's what they boasted their teenage daughter does), and even tutor siblings because you have to is not responsibility. This woman is training nannies, not kids. Do they also take turns to wake up at night for the toddlers and babies? I wonder.

As for those suggesting these people would be more liked if they let their kids be immoral and run wild is hysterical. Really, does it always mean if one opposes a side, they automatically belong to the exact opposite of it? Why so extreme? :lol: Tsk Tsk.

10. tashatank24

tashatank24 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Anne-J @ Dec 6 2008, 11:25 PM) [snapback]1100691[/snapback]
    As for those suggesting these people would be more liked if they let their kids be immoral and run wild is hysterical. Really, does it always mean if one opposes a side, they automatically belong to the exact opposite of it? Why so extreme? :lol: Tsk Tsk.

Yeah, I started that idea, but didn't say that it would make them more liked. I said maybe they would not be called hypocrites, since that seems to be the big debate. I realize that it was going from one extreme to the other, it's called 'trying to make a point'. I don't think this family started out having kids and raising them this way with the idea that they could capitalize. I don't believe they approached TLC, and how do we know they are being paid or how much they are paid? I'm just blown away by how mean people can talk about people they don't know and never will. I might change my opinion on how I feel about the family if I heard this stuff from people who live in that house. Those kids are conditioned for their environment, they don't know any better. Just as I was conditioned to care for my brothers and sisters because my mom was always out with a new guy, doing new drugs as the new guy introduced them. 4 of us, 4 different dads, oh, I remember food stamps when they were still paper in the little booklet, actually got them as allowance at one point. Trying to protect myself and my sisters because mom didn't care what kind of hobo she brought home, I am still in counseling 10 years after leaving my mothers care, and only wish that I had the example of someone who was just trying to raise a good family. No matter how she did it.
    I am out of it, and will just say "Live and let Live"

11. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

I think you missed the "hypocrite" point. They don't believe in TV, yet their family is ON TV. If you don't believe in TV, then don't be on it.

12. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 5 2008, 03:12 PM) [snapback]1099267[/snapback]
    So how many are too many kids to have? I know some of the people on TS have up to 13 kids. We also have families on here who have been on TLC because of their interesting families. Others have been on Oprah. So some of the comments in this thread could very well be said about some of our very OWN people who come to TS, and to me that would be very hurtful. I think its very interesting that the very people who do not like to be judged because they are not Christians..feel its ok that they can judge these people because of their beliefs. I do not watch their show on a regular basis. I don't know much about them. However, I do respect their right to do whatever they want with their family. They built their own house..have their bill paid..take care of their own children and still have love and respect for others and their kids. I took care of my little brother and sister when I was a teen. I cleaned my house for my mom..and I still grew up normal (well normal for me). Also this mom does let her kids watch some TV and have internet time. They do get to watch some of the TLC shows..and this is the only place she would allow her stories to be, because they get to watch it. SO that is not hyprocritical. Also..if you do disagree with this family..then don't do what they are doing..why is it bothering or hurting you anyways??

ITA!! I gotta stop agreeing with you Brandy...what will ppl think of me? ;) :D

QUOTE(sjdes @ Dec 5 2008, 03:21 PM) [snapback]1099285[/snapback]
    Who the heck am I to judge…then again this is only coming from a Redneck livin in Texas placing a big foot print on earth with my 5 kids and no farm! YEE HAW! HA

:laughing:

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Dec 5 2008, 04:09 PM) [snapback]1099353[/snapback]
    It isn't about how many kids are people "allowed" to have, but a question of when it becomes harmful.

It isn't harmful if you are healthy. She is a perfectly healthy woman...so why not have as many kids as she wants? She is not harming ANYONE by doing so...

13. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

OK...I had to do 2 posts for the # of quotes I was using:

QUOTE(Cristina @ Dec 6 2008, 10:08 AM) [snapback]1100194[/snapback]
    I know others that have done that. I don't think it is strange. I commend them for making a decision like that and sticking to it. If they are opposed to any kind of physical touch until their wedding day, so be it. I might not agree, but I don't find it strange.

I work with a guy that comes from a family of 18 kids. He is a normal guy that just happens to have a lot of brothers and sisters. His parents did not believe in birth control due to their faith. They are very strict Catholics. They worked hard and raised their family. If it works for them, who am I to question their choices?

We are a society that prides ourselves in allowing people to choice whatever lifestyle they see fitting for themselves and their families. I give that same consideration to the Duggars.

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Dec 6 2008, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1100581[/snapback]
    I still don't see what is so horrible about this family. They are raising their children the way they choose to. This is America. They have a large family and they started this family after they were married because they love each other and they wanted children. I really think it is silly that it seems some people appear to think that she is having children just to be on TLC and get money. So others do not agree with their lifestyle, they would not raise their children the same way they do. That is your free choice.

ITA here too!

QUOTE(Donita @ Dec 7 2008, 03:38 PM) [snapback]1101216[/snapback]
    I think you missed the "hypocrite" point. They don't believe in TV, yet their family is ON TV. If you don't believe in TV, then don't be on it.

Again...this is NOT true...they DO watch TV and use the internet. They talk abt this in thier show all the time.

14. tashatank24

tashatank24 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(missmomoftwins02 @ Dec 7 2008, 05:06 PM) [snapback]1101240[/snapback]
    OK...I had to do 2 posts for the # of quotes I was using:
    ITA here too!
    Again...this is NOT true...they DO watch TV and use the internet. They talk abt this in thier show all the time.

Thank you!

15. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

^^Where the hell do they find the time to watch tv and surf the web? Sorry I don't buy it. I think they are just saying that to appear somewhat modern which they clearly are not. I'm almost certain they will announcing another pregnancy a few months after this one is born. They know that popping one out after another makes money

I can see one of the kids writing a "Mommie Dearest" kind of book to tell everyone what really happens when the cameras stop rolling and it's not all rosey like the parents make it out to be.

16. ehm

ehm Banned

Thanks for the invitation, I won't be RSVPing :winking:

I'm almost certain they will announcing another pregnancy a few months after this one is born.
    I remember watching the Mother's Day show announcement on The Today Show and that is pretty much what one of the children said. I can't quote but basically when asked how they felt/if they were surprised by the announcement the response was no, the baby is 9 months old now so I knew it was coming soon.

17. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

I have only one more thing to add--Dont judge until youve walked a mile in her shoes :)

18. Mama_Kim

Honestly, who really cares how many kids they have or how they raise their family? It's such a silly thing to be arguing about, isn't it? They are no better or worse as parents than any of us, they've just made different choices. Personally, I have zero interest in them or how many kids they choose to have. What I find really silly is the fact they even have a TV show at all. Who cares?

19. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

QUOTE(missmomoftwins02 @ Dec 7 2008, 05:06 PM) [snapback]1101240[/snapback]
    I don't know if it's true or not. I was just responding to the "hypocrite" comment and WHY it was made. The person who said it (as far as I could tell) didn't say it because the couple was having a lot of children, but because they were putting those children on TV.

Personally I am with Kim and couldn't care any less if I tried. My opinion is that they're fruitloops, but don't really care what they do.

20. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

I am just a little concerned that they are going to take over the world eventually. I mean do that math, lets just say she stops at 20 kids, and those 20 kids have 20 kids, then THOSE 20 have 20 more.....The math is staggering. In 50 years the world will be over-populated with mulleted-permed Jinger's and overall wearing Josasasah's.

I am thinking about my children's future here!!!

21. Mama_Kim

Jinger! :rotflmbo:

In all seriousness, my cousin's great-grandmother on her dad's side had 21 children, including several sets of twins. :eek:

22. Snittens

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Dec 8 2008, 08:35 AM) [snapback]1101704[/snapback]
    I am just a little concerned that they are going to take over the world eventually. I mean do that math, lets just say she stops at 20 kids, and those 20 kids have 20 kids, then THOSE 20 have 20 more.....The math is staggering. In 50 years the world will be over-populated with mulleted-permed Jinger's and overall wearing Josasasah's.

I am thinking about my children's future here!!!

Mullet-permed Jinger's!! :rotflmbo: This post should have had a spit warning!
    I have only one more thing to add--Dont judge until youve walked a mile in her shoes smile.gif

Seeing as how we have both male and female factor infertility, I don't think I'll be spitting out 18 kids any time soon! So yeah, won't be walking in her shoes.

23. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

In 50 years the world will be over-populated with mulleted-permed Jinger's and overall wearing Josasasah's.

OMGs!! You kill me! :rotflmbo:

24. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I didn't look up blanket training but I will now because I am curious but do the Duggars use it? Does anyone know?

25. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll bite. I don't know about the Duggars, but we use a modified version of blanket training. I know that everyone is going on and on about how revolting it is. We don't use physical discipline to enforce it.

Basically it's teaching your baby or toddler to stay within the confines of a certain space (usually a blanket) without being physically restrained. There's no need to cage them in a playpen or use baby gates or leashes out in public, etc, etc. The controversy comes because there are people that will spank their babies every time they leave the blanket (to teach them to stay on the blanket).

It isn't like we force our babies to stay on a blanket all day. We train them in this way so that I can fix dinner without worrying about them. When I'm at praise practice at church, for instance, I can throw a blanket and some toys down on the floor in the sanctuary and know that my baby will stay there contentedly and not need to be chased around everywhere (dh works sundays). When we are at basketball games I can watch the game and not worry about a baby getting hurt running away. etc, etc

Okay, I'll bite. I don't know about the Duggars, but we use a modified version of blanket training. I know that everyone is going on and on about how revolting it is. We don't use physical discipline to enforce it.

Basically it's teaching your baby or toddler to stay within the confines of a certain space (usually a blanket) without being physically restrained. There's no need to cage them in a playpen or use baby gates or leashes out in public, etc, etc. The controversy comes because there are people that will spank their babies every time they leave the blanket (to teach them to stay on the blanket).

It isn't like we force our babies to stay on a blanket all day. We train them in this way so that I can fix dinner without worrying about them. When I'm at praise practice at church, for instance, I can throw a blanket and some toys down on the floor in the sanctuary and know that my baby will stay there contentedly and not need to be chased around everywhere (dh works sundays). When we are at basketball games I can watch the game and not worry about a baby getting hurt running away. etc, etc

26. Kylee B

Kylee B Well-Known Member

here

The response this woman has regarding, Duggar bashing, is well said. I also find blanket training more appealing than not.

27. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

Pretty soon their 15 minutes of fame will be up because giving birth that many times is so predictable and boring for them. And blanket training - um no, just wrong.

28. caba

caba Banned

Yeah, I still think if you put yourself in the public eye, expect people to have opinions. I think they are creepy ... and that's MY opinion. I'm completely entitled to it.

And yeah, blanket training. Just wrong, IMO. Even if you aren't physically doing anything to your children, you are mentally, emotionally. Nothing like breaking that adventurous streak in those damn uncontrollable toddlers. I would love to see if they grow up to EVER do anything without mommy's permission ... ya know, don't step off the blanket unless you are allowed to. It's just stifling a child's curious nature ... I would never do that to my children. But, to each his own I suppose. I just feel like I have every right to comment and say I think they are creepy, I think they are bordering on child abuse by forcing their children to raise the rest of their children, and I will read all the tell-all books that are put out in the years to come!

29. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KYLEE B @ Dec 9 2008, 03:43 PM) [snapback]1104334[/snapback]
    here

The response this woman has regarding, Duggar bashing, is well said. I also find blanket training more appealing than not.

I read that blog post and I don't find her arguments particularly compelling. First, no one here is bashing just Michelle Duggar, it's been mostly equal-opportunity criticism (no time to go back and look right now, but if memory serves....) Her husband hasn't been immune from the comments. So, her "feminists bashing other women" rant doesn't hold water, IMO.

Also, her comparison of the Duggars to these other large families of other religious backgrounds is also irrelevent as they are not parading themselves on TV at every opportunity. How does she know they wouldn't be subject to the same scrutiny as the Duggars if they were in the public eye too?

30. 4lilmonkeys

QUOTE(KYLEE B @ Dec 9 2008, 03:40 PM) [snapback]1104332[/snapback]
    here

:lol:

I dunno. I got this picture of Sinead O'Connor tearing up a picture of the Pope saying, "fight the real enemy!" I didn't really take anything away from that ridiculously long-winded rant, except that Michelle Duggar is a "victim" of her religion. Seriously? I think the only victims in that household are those kids.

And, as for blanket training...
    There isn't a single person on the face of this earth that could convince me that it's even remotely appealing or anything less than disgusting. :bad:

31. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Why she is fair game.. she CHOSE to be out there. Her CHOICE. If she didn't want people commenting on her lifestyle she should have remained private. Like the other families pictured.

32. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Dec 9 2008, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1104354[/snapback]
    And, as for blanket training...
    There isn't a single person on the face of this earth that could convince me that it's even remotely appealing or anything less than disgusting. :bad:

Totally agree. Touching and exploring are how children learn about the world around them when they are young. Talk about breaking your child's spirit.

33. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(caba @ Dec 9 2008, 04:55 PM) [snapback]1104343[/snapback]
    It's just stifling a child's curious nature ... I would never do that to my children.
    I completely agree. Children are meant to explore their surroundings. It's part of how they discover the world around them. To stifle that is just wrong, imo. It may not harm them but it sure does not feed their inquisitive nature or their developing minds. Again, just my opinion.

QUOTE(PetiteFleur @ Dec 9 2008, 04:57 PM) [snapback]1104346[/snapback]
    I read that blog post and I don't find her arguments particularly compelling. First, no one here is bashing just Michelle Duggar, it's been mostly equal-opportunity criticism (no time to go back and look right now, but if memory serves....) Her husband hasn't been immune from the comments. So, her "feminists bashing other women" rant doesn't hold water, IMO.

Also, her comparison of the Duggars to these other large families of other religious backgrounds is also irrelevent as they are not parading themselves on TV at every opportunity. How does she know they wouldn't be subject to the same scrutiny as the Duggars if they were in the public eye too?

I read that blog post and agree with your bolded statement. I posted earlier about my parents' many Mennonite neighbors, all of whom have large families, and how they raise them quietly and without attention. So much more appealing as they are not trying to shout to the world about how wonderful they are, but just living their lives every day, grateful for their blessings of a large family.

BTW, that first blog post she referenced totally cracked me up: "it’s Little House on the Prairie with a hint of Nascar!" I know not in good taste but pretty funny stuff nonetheless! :lol:

34. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

We talked about toddler exploration last night during the twins' speech evaluation. We discussed how IMPORTANT it is for toddlers to explore their world around them. This is a big part of how they learn. Its about touch, sight, hearing, speech, comprehension, etc...

I have not commented on the Duggars, but I am not a fan of them at all. I find what they do to be very disturbing. Not in the sense of having a lot of children, but how they use their children. There is no denying that they use the older children to care for their younger siblings. Even if the children are teens, they are still children. To me, it is no different than a teenager having a child to raise. Biological child or sibling, they have no right to be raising their siblings. They should be teenagers do things that children and teenagers do. If it comes to a point where you HAVE to have your oldest take care of your youngest than it is time to hang up the baby-making. It is one thing to have 18 children that you the parents take care of, but it is another thing when you have your children raising them.

Since her one son is getting married, I wonder if she will still be popping our babies when her son and soon-to-be-wife starting having children of their own??

35. valentinetwins

valentinetwins Well-Known Member

I did not read all the replies so forgive me if I repeat someone elses sentiments.

Why are so many moms on here bashing the Duggers, and especially the mom????? While I do not agree with their religious beliefs, I applaud ANY family that can manage to raise their children to be responsible, courteous, hard working, intelligent, God fearing citizens!!!!!!! I mean honestly I think that woman should be given a medal for all her hard work. There are Many Catholics I know who have the same belief about birth control and have many many children.....maybe not 18, but hey they did not start out as young. If her kids were delinquents, or irresponsible in some way that yes I can agree with some of you but this family is as wholesome as it gets. She is not the first and will not be the last I'm sure who allows a TV show to air the birth of her child. Cut her some slack for petes sake.