The Duggars are inviting you to watch

Discussion in 'General' started by Gordana, Dec 4, 2008.

1. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sjdes @ Dec 5 2008, 03:21 PM) [snapback]1099285[/snapback]
    I usually don't watch the show, but I could give a rat's anus what they do there or on TV. Their kids seem happy, healthy and fine to me. Who the heck am I to judge…then again this is only coming from a Redneck livin in Texas placing a big foot print on earth with my 5 kids and no farm! YEE HAW! HA! :p

Oh that's nothin' I am about to "beat" you by two! Although eventually we will own my FILs farm... darn, your footprint might be bigger than ours!

2. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

WOW---I havent been on TS for about 2-3 weeks because I got so sick of all the bickering and complaining and judging of others. So, today I thought I might rejoin the TS brood to see what was going on. When I saw the title of the post about the Duggars I clicked immediatley to see what you guys were saying. I was very upset whenI began reading the posts. It just confirmed what I was feeling about the way the people in the world are. I have watched the Duggars a few times and admired such a woman who would give her life to raise such wonderful well behaved children(from what I have seen on the TV) I have 3 children myself and would LOVE to have more, but my lack of $$$ doesnt allow that to happen. Children are such a blessing and if a couple can be blessed with so many ---why not---who are we to judge her. As for filming her birth--I have watched The Baby Story thousands of times and saw nothing wrong with it--I actually became obsessed with it when I was preggo. They get paid also for the filming of the births of their babies. I dont see why this would be gross to anyone. i personally dont want to see a womans vejay-jay all distorted, but I dont think I will see that on TLC with this prgram. In the world we live in there is so much hatred, name calling, bickering, etc.---cant we alljust get along and try to support other mothers. I understand if you wouldnt want to support a woman who abuses or neglesct her kids--I could not support that either, but she just a mother who happens to have 18 kids and raises them to be respectful and loving--and in this world that is very hard. ---Just my 2 cents!!
    April

3. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ellen Barr @ Dec 5 2008, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1099320[/snapback]
    The same could be said of many things. Abortion, for instance.

Abortion is totally different..it is hurting someone. I do not live by the same rules of the Duggar family, but I think its awesome they do what they do in a World filled with so much hate. Yes these comments are hateful..and I think its sad. But in my almost 6 yrs here..would expect nothing less. :p

Brandy

4. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Dec 5 2008, 05:09 PM) [snapback]1099353[/snapback]
    Brandy, I know it's been said several times that it isn't about how many children they have. It's the hypocrisy of the whole thing that bugs me. I understand that they aren't preaching or telling people that this is how they should live their lives, and I appreciate that. But, it is obvious in so many ways that this family is not as perfect as the image that they try to put out there. In fact, I think that there is a very large and very visible breakdown going on inside their four walls and that at some point, there will be real repercussions from this particular lifestyle. It isn't about how many kids are people "allowed" to have, but a question of when it becomes harmful.

In their shows I have never seen them once tell people they are going to hell if they don't do what they do. They have never preached..and they have never looked down on anyone different then themselves. Yes we all know they are human and are not perfect. If someone thinks that they are perfect..and then finds out they aren't then whose fault is that? It would be like me thinking Britney Spears is perfect..and then finding out she isnt. :eek:

I do not think they are hyprocrites..or wrong or whatever. I think they are a family doing their own thing..in a World that has got totally different views. I think its great. I wish I could be more like them..but have to admit, sometimes I do not have the Faith they seem to have..that God will take care of them and their many children. I also would love to have more children..but won't .

Also the blanket training may not be for some people. But for me..there are things I see all the time on here and in the real world that I would never do with my kids. we all have different ways of bring up our children..and I for one don't judge..I just do my job as a mother and go on with my life. :)

Brandy

PS: Gini, I am getting scared for you..agreeing with the other side so much. :p (just joking) lol

5. nymom4

nymom4 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Gordana @ Dec 4 2008, 03:25 PM) [snapback]1097577[/snapback]
    I thought it was obvious he's a tv star paid by TLC.

:rotflmbo: That was funny! Not a fan of the show & never will be.

6. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 5 2008, 07:56 PM) [snapback]1099535[/snapback]
    Abortion is totally different..it is hurting someone. I do not live by the same rules of the Duggar family, but I think its awesome they do what they do in a World filled with so much hate. Yes these comments are hateful..and I think its sad. But in my almost 6 yrs here..would expect nothing less. :p
    Brandy

Oh come one. It's no different than what Jenni mentioned, everyone "judging" the pregnant man. Or did you forget how he was called creepy?

For the record, I have no problem judging the Duggars. In fact, I enjoy it.

7. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(caba @ Dec 5 2008, 07:05 PM) [snapback]1099554[/snapback]
    Oh come one. It's no different than what Jenni mentioned, everyone "judging" the pregnant man. Or did you forget how he was called creepy?

For the record, I have no problem judging the Duggars. In fact, I enjoy it.

I said the story was creepy and stand by my comment. I can't stand HER getting attention for doing something that all women have the choice to do. Its not a story. And if SHE had a story on TLC, I wouldn't watch it..because it goes against my values. But the Duggars aren't doing anything wrong..and if you or anyone else don't agree with them..then don't watch them, just like I wouldn't watch or read anything about the story of the woman who says she is a man. :)

Brandy

8. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 5 2008, 08:14 PM) [snapback]1099570[/snapback]
    I said the story was creepy and stand by my comment. I can't stand HER getting attention for doing something that all women have the choice to do. Its not a story. And if SHE had a story on TLC, I wouldn't watch it..because it goes against my values. But the Duggars aren't doing anything wrong..and if you or anyone else don't agree with them..then don't watch them, just like I wouldn't watch or read anything about the story of the woman who says she is a man. :)
    Brandy

Ok, so I'm going to repeat exactly what you said, just changing a few words ...

"I said the story of the Duggars are creepy and I stand by my comment. I can't stand THEM getting attention for doing something that all women have the choice to do. It's not a story. And if THEY had a story on TLC, I wouldn't watch it, because they go against my values. The pregnant man isn't doing anything wrong and if you or anyone else don't agree with him, don't watch him, just like I wouldn't watch or read anything about hte Duggars."

Erica

9. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 5 2008, 05:01 PM) [snapback]1099542[/snapback]
    I for one don't judge..I just do my job as a mother and go on with my life. :)

Pardon me for pointing out the obvious irony here, but how is repeatedly telling us all how judgmental we are being not a judgment in an of itself?

10. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(caba @ Dec 5 2008, 07:21 PM) [snapback]1099579[/snapback]
    Ok, so I'm going to repeat exactly what you said, just changing a few words ...

"I said the story of the Duggars are creepy and I stand by my comment. I can't stand THEM getting attention for doing something that all women have the choice to do. It's not a story. And if THEY had a story on TLC, I wouldn't watch it, because they go against my values. The pregnant man isn't doing anything wrong and if you or anyone else don't agree with him, don't watch him, just like I wouldn't watch or read anything about hte Duggars."

Erica

FINALLY we are agreeing here. :)

Brandy

11. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 5 2008, 05:14 PM) [snapback]1099570[/snapback]
    I wouldn't watch it..because it goes against my values. But the Duggars aren't doing anything wrong..and if you or anyone else don't agree with them..then don't watch them, just like I wouldn't watch or read anything about the story of the woman who says she is a man. :)

And isn't this exactly what everyone who disagrees with you on this particular argument saying, that we won't watch the show b/c their lifestyle goes against what we value?

Just b/c we won't watch them doesn't mean we don't have an opinion (we all obvious enjoy sharing) regarding the matter.

12. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Dec 5 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]1099582[/snapback]
    Pardon me for pointing out the obvious irony here, but how is repeatedly telling us all how judgmental we are being not a judgment in an of itself?

I guess I can't share my opinion in here either then?? Ok..you are right..please continue bashing the Duggar family. :)

Brandy

13. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Dec 5 2008, 07:25 PM) [snapback]1099585[/snapback]
    And isn't this exactly what everyone who disagrees with you on this particular argument saying, that we won't watch the show b/c their lifestyle goes against what we value?

Just b/c we won't watch them doesn't mean we don't have an opinion (we all obvious enjoy sharing) regarding the matter.

My point is I do not see anyone starting a conversation about the "pregnant woMAN" just to be nasty to him. I have seen many conversations started just to be nasty to the Duggars. I guess I still like the old saying "If you don;t have anything nice to say..then don't say nothing at all. "

I think the whole point of this topic was to "puke" about the Duggars having another baby. The there where comments about them being rednecks..and the names. Then that her utereus was gonna fall out..and she should stop pushing out babies. And then that they abuse their babies..because they use blanket training. I dont bring up the pregnant woMAN story everyday..because I have nothing nice to say about HER story. So I ignore it...

Brandy

14. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 5 2008, 08:26 PM) [snapback]1099586[/snapback]
    I guess I can't share my opinion in here either then?? Ok..you are right..please continue bashing the Duggar family. :)
    Brandy

while you continue to bash the pregnant man...I'm glad we all understand each other and make it better by putting :p at the end

15. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 5 2008, 05:26 PM) [snapback]1099586[/snapback]
    Brandy

Brandy, that wasn't my point at all...my point was that we're all sharing our opinion, yours just happens to be that ours is not respectful. We all have opinions and that's why we waste so much time in here...just to opine the day away.

16. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 5 2008, 08:30 PM) [snapback]1099590[/snapback]
    My point is I do not see anyone starting a conversation about the "pregnant woMAN" just to be nasty to him. I have seen many conversations started just to be nasty to the Duggars. I guess I still like the old saying "If you don;t have anything nice to say..then don't say nothing at all. "

I think the whole point of this topic was to "puke" about the Duggars having another baby. The there where comments about them being rednecks..and the names. Then that her utereus was gonna fall out..and she should stop pushing out babies. And then that they abuse their babies..because they use blanket training. I dont bring up the pregnant woMAN story everyday..because I have nothing nice to say about HER story. So I ignore it...
    Brandy

I am the one who started this thread and my point was that they are attention whores who use their lifestyle and religion to make big bucks on tv.

17. ldsangel19

ldsangel19 Well-Known Member

Is there any 'proof' anywhere that the Duggars actually do blanket training?

18. MeriJoD

MeriJoD Member

I watched the first show of the Duggar's and that was it. I was amazed by 15 children, and now I think its crazy what they are doing. I don't watch Jon and Kate either. Just simply put.

19. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Gordana @ Dec 5 2008, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1099596[/snapback]
    I am the one who started this thread and my point was that they are attention whores who use their lifestyle and religion to make big bucks on tv.

Is this really how they are making their living? I thought that this was something that they have done to share their lives with others not the way they are paying their bills.

I also do not understand how they are being hypocrits. Because they are sharing their story on TLC and their children do not live in front of the TV or watch a lot of it? I wonder how much TV movie stars allow their children to watch. Are they also hypocrits. I have heard several stars share that they do not even watch TV and they DO make their living off TV and movies.

They are living their lives the way they want. They are debt free, their children are healthy and appear to be happy and they share some of their life stories on a TLC show. But they are hypocrits ?

20. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Dec 6 2008, 01:31 AM) [snapback]1099592[/snapback]
    We all have opinions and that's why we waste so much time in here...just to opine the day away.

That should be the subtitle of twinstuff! It is so true! :D

21. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

I understand if you wouldnt want to support a woman who abuses or neglesct her kids--I could not support that either, but she just a mother who happens to have 18 kids

She doesn't "just happen" to have 18 children. She has chosen to have 18 children, and use them to make money while hiding behind her religion. And she's not raising them.. she instructs them to raise each other.

I think they most definitely are hypocrites! Take away the sponsorships which furnished that house, the big bucks being made by slick combing their kids hair and shoving them in front of a camera, the lovely vacations they don't pay for, and I'd like to see them support those 18 children and be "debt free." Their children "appear" to be happy..... so how many families here or around the globe have such perfect and happy children? Or don't have just that one who is a little monster? It's remarkable that these two have produced 18 of them who are so amazing! Maybe Jim-Bob (sorry Patty ;) ) should start bottling and selling his stuff :lol:

22. Annen

Annen Well-Known Member

Check-out their website: http://www.duggarfamily.com/index.html

To each his own.
    Their house is amazing... I would think that money has to come from somewhere to maintain their family and lifestyle... they are their own corporation.

As someone posted... Michelle is teaching her older children to help (in a big way) to raise the younger children. This is what has to happen in big families.

I don't think that I would be able to rememeber everyone's name!

Good luck to them...

By the way... they don't look completely sheltered in their pictures on their website... they have computers.

23. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I kinda liked watching them until I saw the episode where the oldest son became engaged. He and his fiance will not kiss until their wedding. :blink: I totally get delaying intercourse and even petting, touching, etc - but not kissing until the wedding. Strange. :rolleyes:

24. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mellizos @ Dec 6 2008, 10:42 AM) [snapback]1100175[/snapback]
    I kinda liked watching them until I saw the episode where the oldest son became engaged. He and his fiance will not kiss until their wedding. :blink: I totally get delaying intercourse and even petting, touching, etc - but not kissing until the wedding. Strange. :rolleyes:

I know others that have done that. I don't think it is strange. I commend them for making a decision like that and sticking to it. If they are opposed to any kind of physical touch until their wedding day, so be it. I might not agree, but I don't find it strange.

I work with a guy that comes from a family of 18 kids. He is a normal guy that just happens to have a lot of brothers and sisters. His parents did not believe in birth control due to their faith. They are very strict Catholics. They worked hard and raised their family. If it works for them, who am I to question their choices?

We are a society that prides ourselves in allowing people to choice whatever lifestyle they see fitting for themselves and their families. I give that same consideration to the Duggars.

25. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

Not quite 18, but I know a few different families with 15 children, and they all manage to support their families without being on TV. So it can be done. Just because they are on TV doesn't mean they have to be to support their family. I'm willing to bet most of you would say that we couldn't support our family of 7 kids on less than $35k a year, but we do that too, debt free.

And the kissing, who cares? That makes them freaks? Different culturally from a lot of modern Americans, yes, but not freaks. There are actually thousands and thousands of people in conservative Christian movements in the US that hold those types of beliefs. We don't hold those standards in our family, but I certainly think there is nothing wrong with being conservative, even if the "world" thinks it's strange.

26. Gordana

I'm sure this birth on TV will pay for their retirements, all vacations. I wish they would disappear from TV and all media so I don't have to hear about any more reproduction. Ugh.

27. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Dec 4 2008, 07:54 PM) [snapback]1097499[/snapback]
    are we going to get into a debate about choice? No child gets to choose weather they come into a family or not.

I may be wrong but I think the "choice" here is daily personal choices of the children. They are on a schedule, have duties, are responsible for other young children, while they are children themselves. I do not see a lot of choices they get to make for themselves on a daily basis. So, they, the children did not get a choice as to whether or not they are in the tv show.

28. tashatank24

tashatank24 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(momof5 @ Dec 4 2008, 10:42 PM) [snapback]1098292[/snapback]
    I work in the Mom Baby Unit of a very busy hospital. I would rather the Duggers have baby after baby then a crack addicted mom who has a 5 kids in 5 years with 5 different dads and no one has a job. If I don't have to pay for them and they aren't being abused, it doesn't bother me. I would LOVE another baby BUT I would have to depend on WIC and welfare to raise it and that is not fair to do to anyone......the baby or taxpayers so we wont have any more.

Amen Sister!!

QUOTE(april6603 @ Dec 5 2008, 06:22 PM) [snapback]1099478[/snapback]
    WOW---I havent been on TS for about 2-3 weeks because I got so sick of all the bickering and complaining and judging of others. So, today I thought I might rejoin the TS brood to see what was going on. When I saw the title of the post about the Duggars I clicked immediatley to see what you guys were saying. I was very upset whenI began reading the posts. It just confirmed what I was feeling about the way the people in the world are. I have watched the Duggars a few times and admired such a woman who would give her life to raise such wonderful well behaved children(from what I have seen on the TV) I have 3 children myself and would LOVE to have more, but my lack of $$$ doesnt allow that to happen. Children are such a blessing and if a couple can be blessed with so many ---why not---who are we to judge her. As for filming her birth--I have watched The Baby Story thousands of times and saw nothing wrong with it--I actually became obsessed with it when I was preggo. They get paid also for the filming of the births of their babies. I dont see why this would be gross to anyone. i personally dont want to see a womans vejay-jay all distorted, but I dont think I will see that on TLC with this prgram. In the world we live in there is so much hatred, name calling, bickering, etc.---cant we alljust get along and try to support other mothers. I understand if you wouldnt want to support a woman who abuses or neglesct her kids--I could not support that either, but she just a mother who happens to have 18 kids and raises them to be respectful and loving--and in this world that is very hard. ---Just my 2 cents!!
    April

Amen sister!!

Maybe the fire would die down a bit if the Duggar girls started dressing like the celebs they'd see on TV all the time if mom would let them watch. And the boys could start making out with girls at school (if they weren't home schooled) as soon as they learned how to from Drake and Josh on Nickelodeon. My 12 year old nephew, who goes to the school that the Duggars would go to, just got off of a 10 day suspension for receiving a sexually explicit text message from a girl on his bus. Shame on Michelle for teaching her children morals, attempting to shield them from what our children will see in a Levi's Jeans commercial, South Park cartoons and the back of a school bus. Shame on her and Jim-Bob for teaching them responsibility and caring for people other than yourself and what team-work can do for you. I would never approve of my children learning these lessons, I want them to be spoiled rotten BRATZ who want to dress like the dolls. Not trying to say that any of you feel the same way, but at least then the Duggars wouldn't be called hypocrites, and would probably make for some really interesting TV.

29. kstar

kstar Well-Known Member

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Dec 4 2008, 07:06 PM) [snapback]1097360[/snapback]
    :bad:

I saw a poster on Facebook with a picture of their family and then the caption, "It's a vagina, not a clown car." :lol:

:rotflmbo: That is hilarious....they have turned having kids into a sporting event! Not a fan.

30. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Anne-J @ Dec 6 2008, 02:36 AM) [snapback]1099883[/snapback]
    And she's not raising them.. she instructs them to raise each other.

I don't know if you mean this in a bad way or good way--I'm assuming bad. I think it speaks loads of her and her husband's character that they have children who can take the responsibility of younger siblings. She has to have help with that many children and I don't see it as shirking her duties as a mother at all. She and her husband are definitely in charge, there is no doubt about that. I instruct my son on how to interact with my girls. That is part of raising a child; teaching them responsibility. It just happens they have more responsibility than most children because there are so many of them. Honestly, if I had 18 kids, I'd assign as many duties to mine as she does hers. There are so many people in this world that can't even raise one child and people are actually screaming that the Duggars are selfish because they have 18!! Come on, we're not raising them, they're not on welfare so we're not paying for them--so what if they were, these parents are doing an excellent job. Maybe the kids are sheltered--who cares, that's they're choice. The kids are feed, dressed, and obviously have social skills. So what if they decide to get some extra cash off of TV? What's the big deal??

31. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(2plus2Tasha @ Dec 6 2008, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1100432[/snapback]
    Amen Sister!!
    Amen sister!!

Maybe the fire would die down a bit if the Duggar girls started dressing like the celebs they'd see on TV all the time if mom would let them watch. And the boys could start making out with girls at school (if they weren't home schooled) as soon as they learned how to from Drake and Josh on Nickelodeon. My 12 year old nephew, who goes to the school that the Duggars would go to, just got off of a 10 day suspension for receiving a sexually explicit text message from a girl on his bus. Shame on Michelle for teaching her children morals, attempting to shield them from what our children will see in a Levi's Jeans commercial, South Park cartoons and the back of a school bus. Shame on her and Jim-Bob for teaching them responsibility and caring for people other than yourself and what team-work can do for you. I would never approve of my children learning these lessons, I want them to be spoiled rotten BRATZ who want to dress like the dolls. Not trying to say that any of you feel the same way, but at least then the Duggars wouldn't be called hypocrites, and would probably make for some really interesting TV.

AMEN!!!!!! Maybe if Michelle let some of her daughters get pregnant before marriage..or let her sons get a couple of girls pregnant, then maybe they would be more liked.

I only hope and I can teach my kids to be as well behaved as hers are. :)

Brandy

32. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 6 2008, 04:26 PM) [snapback]1100464[/snapback]

I hear blanket training is a good start to breaking one's spirit early on so they will behave in any way you see fit.

33. tashatank24

tashatank24 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ldsangel19 @ Dec 5 2008, 07:52 PM) [snapback]1099620[/snapback]
    Is there any 'proof' anywhere that the Duggars actually do blanket training?

Any word on this yet?

34. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Dec 6 2008, 06:36 PM) [snapback]1100475[/snapback]
    I hear blanket training is a good start to breaking one's spirit early on so they will behave in any way you see fit.

Actually I looked in the blanket training. I have no problem with it. I just found it wasn't what we needed to "train" our children up. I do not think blanket training is bad at all though..

Brandy

35. Gordana

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 6 2008, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1100464[/snapback]
    AMEN!!!!!! Maybe if Michelle let some of her daughters get pregnant before marriage..or let her sons get a couple of girls pregnant, then maybe they would be more liked.

Brandy

Oh you mean like Sarah Palin?? ;)

Gimme a break. These people need to get the hell off tv and go live their lives. And maybe they should give their kids a childhood instead of making them raise their younger siblings.