The Duggars are inviting you to watch

Discussion in 'General' started by Gordana, Dec 4, 2008.

1. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It doesn't bother me. I could personally never live life like that. I mean there are much worse parents out there. They are obviously a very loving family and are making it work somehow. And I am sure the watching of the birth isn't going to be gross or anything don't know why people would assume that? It will probably be just like the baby stories and such. I don't think I will watch it unless there is nothing else on tv. I am not a huge tv fan anymore anyway. If they were living on welfare or something and kept having kids that would be different. They are making money because obviously a lot of people find them fascinating. I don't know that I have a problem with that.

2. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Dec 4 2008, 12:06 PM) [snapback]1097359[/snapback]
    I think it's neat that they are goin g to show the birth. I use to love watching the birthing shows on TLC (have not caught one in a long while) My girls liked to watch also. I will have to mark this one so that we can catch it.

I see no problem with them sharing this event with everyone. Most families with more than 2 children slack off on pix and videos after the 2nd or 3rd child so this will be a great momento for this child.

Okay I only read the 1st page I am not reading the rest... but I agree with twin_trip_mommy. I am a fan of the show and there are a ton of other birthing shows on TV I dont know why the Duggar birth would be so much "yuckier" than any other??

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

QUOTE(7Ms @ Dec 4 2008, 03:59 PM) [snapback]1097647[/snapback]
    Okay I only read the 1st page I am not reading the rest... but I agree with twin_trip_mommy. I am a fan of the show and there are a ton of other birthing shows on TV I dont know why the Duggar birth would be so much "yuckier" than any other??

the point is not that they're publicizing the birth becuase you're right there's Baby Story, Deliver Me, etc ad nauseum of birthing shows its the fact that they are complete sell outs - and hypocrites at that...

4. brianamurnion

QUOTE(Azmom23 @ Dec 4 2008, 01:43 PM) [snapback]1097615[/snapback]
    He has made his family into his main career but he does own real estate and a used car lot.
    I totally agree with previous posters, if you don't want to have your family and your choices criticized, don't put them on TV.

Cheryl, I can understand that you might feel a kinship with the Duggars because you both have large families and similar religious beliefs. I can also understand that it might even be hurtful to see these comments. The reason they are being criticized is NOT because they are religious or because they have a big family. Lots of people have large families without having them on TV constantly for financial gain. It's because the parade around with their children and show them off in such an exploitative way that they are getting such harsh comments. Being on tv a few times is really different from making your family into a reality show.

I also think the Duggars are really smug and judgemental...that tends to put people off and make them defensive. I know it is the main reason that I don't like this family or John and Kate.

Okay I lied I read the last page also!! LOL Okay I do get what some people think about them exploiting their kids on TV... I dont agree at all but I understand why some think that. My question is why does no one say this about Jon and Kate (and ok this thread isnt about them, but I am adding it in now ;) ) Have you noticed Jon doesnt really work anymore? And they obviously are making a career out of vacationing with their kids on all the free trips they are being given, all while making money off of "parading their kids in front of the camera". THEY are "America's favorite Family" but the Duggars are crazy people? Oh and I am a fan of both shows.

Oooops... I just saw in your post you did mention Jon and Kate at the end... so at least you do see the comparison I am making.

5. brianamurnion

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Dec 4 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]1097652[/snapback]
    the point is not that they're publicizing the birth becuase you're right there's Baby Story, Deliver Me, etc ad nauseum of birthing shows its the fact that they are complete sell outs - and hypocrites at that...

Why "hypocrites"? Just wondering what they do that makes you think that?

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

QUOTE(7Ms @ Dec 4 2008, 04:06 PM) [snapback]1097659[/snapback]
    Why "hypocrites"? Just wondering what they do that makes you think that?

they sell themselves out to any family in America that wants to watch them but they have no TV in the house - why shouldn't their children have the same privlidges? I think this question was addressed previously...

7. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

I agree that there alot worse parents out there, for sure.
    And the fact that they are not receiving public assistance to support their habit, is great.

But I think they are ultra creepy and I feel bad for their kids who don't know any better, or anything different for that matter.
    IF they are ever allowed into real society, they will be in for a major shock - and I'm not sure they'd be able to handle it. They may be better off continuing to live amongst themselves.

Alot of what they do creeps me out.
    The older kids being resopnsible for the younger ones, and so much of the housework.
    The no kissing before marriage thing. To each his own of course, but the fact that you need a chaperone to accompany the 'engaged' couple everywhere they go speaks volumes. If they are so confident they have taught their kids the 'right' way, then why not trust them to be alone for a few minutes.??

I saw one episode when they asked about the Duggar girls' hairstyle (the mullet type perm)
    And the girls were giving each other their perms at home and said we style our hair this way because this is how Daddy likes it. eewww - ultra creepy to me.

I still respect them for their choices as it is not my place to tell them what they should and should not be doing.
    But I am entitled to my opinion and I think they are downright strange.

8. brianamurnion

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Dec 4 2008, 02:08 PM) [snapback]1097660[/snapback]
    they sell themselves out to any family in America that wants to watch them but they have no TV in the house - why shouldn't their children have the same privlidges? I think this question was addressed previously...

Okay thanks just wondering. I dont want to get into reading them all because I am sure it is something I will JUST HAVE to respond too and I can tell it is going to be way controversial... and I already responded 4 times!! LOL I just know that nobody is going to be persuaded from their view on this topic so I am not even going to try. Thanks for responding to my question though.

9. azmomto2

azmomto2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(7Ms @ Dec 4 2008, 02:05 PM) [snapback]1097657[/snapback]
    Okay I lied I read the last page also!! LOL Okay I do get what some people think about them exploiting their kids on TV... I dont agree at all but I understand why some think that. My question is why does no one say this about Jon and Kate (and ok this thread isnt about them, but I am adding it in now ;) ) Have you noticed Jon doesnt really work anymore? And they obviously are making a career out of vacationing with their kids on all the free trips they are being given, all while making money off of "parading their kids in front of the camera". THEY are "America's favorite Family" but the Duggars are crazy people? Oh and I am a fan of both shows.

Oooops... I just saw in your post you did mention Jon and Kate at the end... so at least you do see the comparison I am making.

I do see the comparison and believe me, people say this and much much worse about Jon and Kate. I actually dislike them FAR more than the Duggars. At least Ma and Pa Duggar like each other while Jon and Kate can get pretty spiteful and ugly. They also seem to use their show to beg for stuff much more than the Duggars do. But then again, I am pretty jealous. My family will have to save for years to go to Disney while Hawaii and some of the other Jon and Kate trips are never going to happen for us. They are given so much in return for whoring out their kids.

10. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(7Ms @ Dec 4 2008, 04:05 PM) [snapback]1097657[/snapback]

I think Jon and Kate are sellouts too.
    Clearly they are doing this only for the money and vacations, etc. No other family like them could afford to do half of what they do, or find the time to do it.
    Kate said she wanted to do the show so she'd have lots of video foototage of the kids growing up. Hello, ever hear of a camcorder? Get a tripod and go crazy woman!
    And they are just not as creepy as the Duggars. The Gosselin kids look relatively normal - average kids that have their good moments and bad, and I can relate to that show a little bit more

11. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Oh, Jon and Kate certainly have their detractors! I started out kind of liking them, as they seem(ed) relatively normal, they aren't perfect, etc but they really grate on my nerves now. Every show is about going skiing, going to Hawaii, it used to be about normal everyday stuff. Kate is over-the-top, Jon doesn't work, and I really think they are doing damage to their children by exploiting them like this.

12. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

I don't like reality shows of that particular genre (Jon & Kate) as a general rule. Wife Swap, Super Nanny, and stuff like that make my stomach turn. I don't even like what I've seen of Jon & Kate because they just don't seem to like each other very much. It bothers me that people are willing to put their kids out there like that. I think it's just icky...I can't explain it any better than that.

Look, I don't have a problem with having 18 or even 28 children. It's a personal choice and well, whatever...I don't have any control over how many kids a person chooses to have or how they choose to raise them. But, it bugs me that they put themselves out there as this example of Christianity and "what God wants." All while getting a nice, hefty paycheck. I don't think "be fruitful and multiply" means having as many children as you can possibly carry and I certainly don't think forcing your daughters to raise their siblings and not giving them the one on one time they need and deserve is right in anyone's eyes, let alone God's. Maybe they are raising their kids to be responsible, productive members of society, but I think it's at a very high price to those children and it's sad.

13. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Dec 4 2008, 01:02 PM) [snapback]1097652[/snapback]
    the point is not that they're publicizing the birth because you're right there's Baby Story, Deliver Me, etc ad nauseum of birthing shows its the fact that they are complete sell outs - and hypocrites at that...

Just curious, do people on baby story etc get paid for that?
    also, I believe that is a one time thing. They are not being followed by cameras all the time and having their whole life documented on tv.

QUOTE(7Ms @ Dec 4 2008, 01:05 PM) [snapback]1097657[/snapback]
    My question is why does no one say this about Jon and Kate

Actually I've heard the same criticism of them too many times.
    Personally, I've never watched the duggars and have no interest to. I can't stand Jon & Kate. She's way to annoying.

14. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Dec 4 2008, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1097721[/snapback]
    Look, I don't have a problem with having 18 or even 28 children. It's a personal choice and well, whatever...I don't have any control over how many kids a person chooses to have or how they choose to raise them. But, it bugs me that they put themselves out there as this example of Christianity and "what God wants." All while getting a nice, hefty paycheck. I don't think "be fruitful and multiply" means having as many children as you can possibly carry and I certainly don't think forcing your daughters to raise their siblings and not giving them the one on one time they need and deserve is right in anyone's eyes, let alone God's. Maybe they are raising their kids to be responsible, productive members of society, but I think it's at a very high price to those children and it's sad.

I agree with you Gini...but is there not some point where it becomes irresponsible, from an environmental perspective, to have so many children? It's beyond simply being financially capable of providing for them (to say nothing of the emotional/psychological ability to 'provide' for that many, which I see you also question). What if every Tom, Dick, and Jim-Bob (just for you, Anne) decided to have a dozen+ kids...our global environmental resources cannot sustain such intentional over-procreation.

15. brianamurnion

QUOTE(twoplustwo @ Dec 4 2008, 02:40 PM) [snapback]1097728[/snapback]
    Just curious, do people on baby story etc get paid for that?
    also, I believe that is a one time thing. They are not being followed by cameras all the time and having their whole life documented on tv.

No I doubt they get paid and it is a one or sometimes two show thing. But I was referring to all the "pukey face" emotiocons and the "yuck" "gross" comments about actually watching the birth, why is their birth so much grosser than anyone else's? Was my original question. I get why people are thinking they are creepy but not why they think the birth is gross, unless they think watching another persons birth is gross no matter who it is.

16. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

What if every Tom, Dick, and Jim-Bob (just for you, Anne) decided to have a dozen+ kids...our global environmental resources cannot sustain such intentional over-procreation.

Your right, I don't think our planet could sustain that many people eithor, but I personally don't see that as a reason to dislike the Duggars. I highly doubt that they could persuade every Tom, Dick and Jim Bob to give birth to so many children. I am willing to bet that some uber rich folks with no kids are leaving more of a carbon footprint than the Duggars.

17. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

Im not going to watch her push that baby out, in a hurry but I want to know what happens when she runs out of J names for the kids they may have to start repeating them selves soon :) And if michelle was a member of TS can you imagine what her signature would look like! I personally think that they were interesting at first but the shows started to become more like a freak show as time went on. To each their own

18. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(annelily2000 @ Dec 4 2008, 01:50 PM) [snapback]1097753[/snapback]
    Your right, I don't think our planet could sustain that many people eithor, but I personally don't see that as a reason to dislike the Duggars. I highly doubt that they could persuade every Tom, Dick and Jim Bob to give birth to so many children. I am willing to bet that some uber rich folks with no kids are leaving more of a carbon footprint than the Duggars.

For which reason I would take issue with them as well.

19. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Dec 4 2008, 03:45 PM) [snapback]1097741[/snapback]
    I agree with you Gini...but is there not some point where it becomes irresponsible, from an environmental perspective, to have so many children? It's beyond simply being financially capable of providing for them (to say nothing of the emotional/psychological ability to 'provide' for that many, which I see you also question). What if every Tom, Dick, and Jim-Bob (just for you, Anne) decided to have a dozen+ kids...our global environmental resources cannot sustain such intentional over-procreation.

I agree. I think it's a dangerous precedent to set, especially with the current state of our world. I agree that it takes much more than financial stability too. Just having four kids really stretches our bank account and our living space, no doubt! But more than that, it takes away from the amount of time we can give to each of our boys. I can already see the effects of it in our oldest (there are six years between him and our second child). I can't imagine having another 14 children (oh God :eek:) in this house.

QUOTE(7Ms @ Dec 4 2008, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1097746[/snapback]
    But I was referring to all the "pukey face" emotiocons and the "yuck" "gross" comments about actually watching the birth, why is their birth so much grosser than anyone else's?

I used the :bad: emoticon, not because I thought anything of the actual birth or that it would somehow be worse or ickier than any other. I used it because in general, the Duggar's make me ill. I felt like it was one more stunt to get some air time in the national spotlight and :bad: seemed to sum it up for me. :lol:

20. brianamurnion

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Dec 4 2008, 02:53 PM) [snapback]1097763[/snapback]
    I used the :bad: emoticon, not because I thought anything of the actual birth or that it would somehow be worse or ickier than any other. I used it because in general, the Duggar's make me ill. I felt like it was one more stunt to get some air time in the national spotlight and :bad: seemed to sum it up for me. :lol:

Thanks... I just wanted to be sure... because I am pretty sure her birth isnt going to be any ickier or any more beautiful than any other persons!! :p

21. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

QUOTE(7Ms @ Dec 4 2008, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1097746[/snapback]
    No I doubt they get paid and it is a one or sometimes two show thing. But I was referring to all the "pukey face" emotiocons and the "yuck" "gross" comments about actually watching the birth, why is their birth so much grosser than anyone else's? Was my original question. I get why people are thinking they are creepy but not why they think the birth is gross, unless they think watching another persons birth is gross no matter who it is.

Briana, I think the "yuck" and "creepy" comments and faces were directed more towards the couple, not the birth itself. I think so, anyway.

I guess it's just a different of perspective. I have no idea why anyone would want or need so many children. I will never agree that those children are getting what they need emotionally and psychologically from their parents. I don't believe it's physically possible. Maybe I just don't get it, but how does having dozens of kids "spread God's word" or whatever their motivation is? I don't think I'll ever get it.

Oh, and that hairstyle comment "because that's how Daddy likes it" deserves it's own :bad:

22. brianamurnion

QUOTE(PetiteFleur @ Dec 4 2008, 02:56 PM) [snapback]1097776[/snapback]
    Briana, I think the "yuck" and "creepy" comments and faces were directed more towards the couple, not the birth itself. I think so, anyway.

I guess it's just a different of perspective. I have no idea why anyone would want or need so many children. I will never agree that those children are getting what they need emotionally and psychologically from their parents. I don't believe it's physically possible. Maybe I just don't get it, but how does having dozens of kids "spread God's word" or whatever their motivation is? I don't think I'll ever get it.

Oh, and that hairstyle comment "because that's how Daddy likes it" deserves it's own :bad:

Yeah it does... I was basically referring to the 1st page or the 1st few posts left, they seemed to be about the birth at 1st and not the family, just in the begining. After the 1st "publicity whores" post then it became a discussion about the family, I think, honestly I only read pages 1 and 4-5.

23. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Honestly, whatever floats their boat! I don't have to watch, and I certainly don't have to raise those kids. They are just a family, no more or less special than anyone else's.

Although I must say, I personally have seen enough of the Duggars and Jon and Kate to last me a lifetime. Blech. :p :rolleyes:

24. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I dislike the Gosselins too. But their show doesn't make me feel creeped-out and nauseous to watch.

The Gosselins are bigger jerks; the Duggars are waaaay more creepy. IMO.

25. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

Eeek! No thanks. I'm sure you won't see anything much though (thankfully), as even in ultrasounds, she has her bare stomach hidden from her family.
    I admit I've watched the show a few times, but somehow every time I watch it I just feel frustrated. They seem like a lovely family, but their way of doing things is just soooo different from mine that I can't relate.

26. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

deleted - I'm too sensitive today, lol

27. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

Good thing we aren't under the microscope of the North American viewing audience... Like I said, it's easy to judge, but it doesn't make it right...

28. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with them having so many children. I sometimes wish I had more, but know I couldn't handle any more kids. I will not be watching there show because I have no interest in it. I don't agree with them putting their children on tv (nor do I agree with the Jon & Kate show either). I do think they are both exploiting their children. I do feel sorry for the Dugger children. I think (sorry if I get this wrong but it has been a while) that the oldest daughter said on one of the shows that she didn't like having to take care of the younger children and would have liked to go away to college or go and do something else (I think she was 17 or 18 at the time).

29. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(7Ms @ Dec 4 2008, 09:47 PM) [snapback]1097746[/snapback]

I was the "one" who used the word "yuck" in my original post. I have no desire to watch another woman birth a baby out of their vagina.

30. brianamurnion

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Dec 4 2008, 05:09 PM) [snapback]1097957[/snapback]
    I was the "one" who used the word "yuck" in my original post. I have no desire to watch another woman birth a baby out of their vagina.

Oh that is fine, I dont think anyone should have to want to watch any other person give birth. I used to think it was icky until after I had my own and now I like to watch those birthing shows... but I do NOT like unblurred vagina shots!!

31. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Dec 4 2008, 02:04 PM) [snapback]1097522[/snapback]
    Anne, Jim-Bob is a phrase/name used in the US to suggest that someone was a real redneck (back-country hick).

Do redneck, back-country, and hick need clarification?

OK this is starting to get really rude. I just can't believe you would say this on a board where their may be people who are from the country..kind of like MISSISSIPPI?? (oh wait..I am from there) Just wanted to remind you..and others..there are different people on this board...

Brandy

32. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 4 2008, 04:24 PM) [snapback]1097964[/snapback]
    OK this is starting to get really rude. I just can't believe you would say this on a board where their may be people who are from the country..kind of like MISSISSIPPI?? (oh wait..I am from there) Just wanted to remind you..and others..there are different people on this board...

Brandy

Anne is not from this country. She was asking a simple question about a colloquial phrase to understand its context.

I was in fact clarifying why people were chuckling at the name Jim-Bob (that is its colloquial implication whether we personally agree with its sentiment or not), and not stating any personal opinion or generalization about people from any geographical or distinctly rural areas of the country.

There was zero personal opinion in that post. In fact, you'll notice when requested of my own opinion regarding those words I didn't bother to elaborate further.

33. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Dec 4 2008, 12:49 PM) [snapback]1097480[/snapback]
    I like and respect the Duggars. KUDOS for them living their life the way they want..even through all the negative comments in the World. They are an inspiration. :)

ITA!

QUOTE(Rose524 @ Dec 4 2008, 12:54 PM) [snapback]1097495[/snapback]
    You don't seriously believe that Michelle Duggar is sitting in front of a computer somewhere reading TS do you??? Looking for advice form other twin mothers??

Good grief, I doubt they even have a computer, not that the woman would have time to chat on the net. ;)

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Dec 4 2008, 02:08 PM) [snapback]1097660[/snapback]

ACtually...they say in the intro to thier show that they watch LITTLE TV and have little internet time. They do have a computer and TV...but they jsut don't let thier kids use it too much...which I think is good in any family. I try my best to limit my kids TV and computer time...and the only things they are allowed to do online is Starfall and PBSKids.

I think it is sad that they get so much criticism. Who cares that they want to have 18 (or more) kids?!?! Like someone else said earlier...it's not like they are on welfare (not that being on welfare is bad if you need it...but I don't agree with those that have more and more kids just to stay on it). They are debt free and a healthy, happy family. Give them a break!!

34. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

Back to the topic of filming the birth...did anyone see the episode where Michelle had an ultrasound with this baby? One of their older girls held a sheet up so that we (the cameras) couldn't see her naked pregnant belly. I am not really sure what all will be filmed at the birth, but I am guessing not a whole lot. I bet this is a lot more hype than anything.

35. brianamurnion

Speaking of the birth, funny I just remembered. Back when their show was just a special and they had done like 3 one hour long episodes there was a film crew in the room for the birth of like #15 or 16. Along with the two oldest daughters. So this is nothing new, and like PPs said I am sure they wont be filming anything but her pushing and then a crying baby, no skin.