The Anything Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Twinrific, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oops I'm a little late with this! I'm losing track of the days!

Question of the Week: What games (computer, board games, imaginary games, all of 'em) did you play growing up? And what is your favourite item of clothing?

2. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

Why do you never answer your own questions? :p :p

Let me see what I can remember :p

Computer Games:
    Digger
    Driver (or something like that, I can't remember the exact name)
    Crystal Caves
    Lemmings
    Flight Simulator
    Grand Prix 2/3/4
    SimCity

"Board" Games:
    Draughts
    Backgammon
    Triomino (Like Dominoes except with thee sides)
    Zeeslag ("Battleship")
    Mikado

I can't remember any more.

I didn't even know people had a favourite item of clothing :p

3. Twinrific

If you go back and have a look at the other threads you'll see I do answer my own questions just not in the original post ;)

Computer Games
    Also Digger and Lemmings
    A game called prince
    Car racing games

BUT the games I loved the most were the adventure/quest games such as Quest for glory, Kings Quest, Space Quest etc etc. Too many to name, oh of course monkey Island!

Board Games

Yet again we played a lot of them: Monopoly, Cluedo, Battle ship, Risk, Scrabble, Uno, puzzles etc maybe Gerda can think of more? But the favourite of the family games were card games, we know a ton of different card games and still enjoy playing it when the family gets together.

As for other activities: We were outside A LOT playing any games we could make up and running around the farm as much as possible.

My favourite clothing item: Jeans! They're comfy and can be worn for almost any occasion!

4. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

What is Blackgammon? :p

5. TwinPeshi

*GASP* Jeans are evil :p

6. Twinrific

oh no did I stumble upon an unknown hate of yours? I'm afraid to ask but what is wrong with jeans? :p

7. TwinRichard

Sometimes that is only ages after you start it though :p

8. TwinRichard

You did but it isn't that unknown :p:p

9. Twinrific

I'm giving people a chance to discuss the questions... and I don't want you to copy my answers :p :lol:

It's unknown to me (which is surprising since I know most of your hates) so are you going to give me reasons?

10. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This should be interesting since we are from all over.

Computer games? I'm from the era before everyone had personal computers. I remember the first time I played with a Commodore 64. We got an Atari in the early 80s. They are very popular with the hipsters these days. I coulda sold it to a friend a couple years ago.

card and board games:
    Snakes and Ladders
    Cribbage (card or board.....)
    Buck-a-roo
    Mousetrap
    Connect 4
    checkers
    Uno
    Cooties

We had the 1970s easy bake oven (in green) and our favourite doll house was the Kenner Tree Tots. Another view, Totally awsome. LOVE.

Outside
    badminton (we lived on a corner lot and could use the fence for a net)
    roller skates (metal with a key)
    sandbox
    swing set

Family time puzzles. Always had puzzles on the go.

Item of clothes. I don't really have one. I love my Ginga flip flops right now. (I have orange, fuchsia and dark brown) Most comfortable flip flops ever.

11. Twinrific

I can't even remember the name/make of our old computer but all the games were still on floppy disks and not a lot of people had computers yet, we were lucky that my Dad had ones for the business ;)

That's the cutest doll house! For some reason Gerda and I were never into doll playing though, we always stole my brother's toys! :lol:

How could I not mention roller skates! We practically lived on them! We also had the huge sandboxes where we made our 'buildings' and tunnels for my brothers play cars and we used to 'steal' bricks from the barn to build our own things. We always rummaged through things on the farm that we weren't supposed to... Along with Jorette and André the four of us were pretty busy all the time. Swimming was also almost a permanent activity for us, I think that is why I don't enjoy it that much anymore.

12. TwinPeshi

They aren't hates, they are reasoned arguments against the misuse of resources :p

13. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I think as a child the "in thing" was:

Dolls
    Playstation and playstation 1.
    barbies
    starcastles - have $$$ worth sitting in a box in perfect condition.
    bikes.
    videos.

I had a spoilt childhood I have realised I had way to many toys, but mum had a rule "One toy at a time and if its not put back in its correct spot your not allowed another one" OCD much?

I think thats where I get it from :p

14. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh yeah. Strawberry Shortcake - on the first time she was big, I don't like the look of her in her latest incarnation. We had all of the dolls. We were chewers so every thing has bite marks on fingers and tails.

We also played with our baby dolls a lot, we got them for our 5th birthday and each still have them. When we lived in the apartment they sat in a chair in the living room. Now hers is on her spare bed and mine sits in a chair in my dining room. They got played with on Sunday when Brandon's friend was over with his daughters. There was a fight over Connie's so she came down and got mine. I'll attach a picture. (its not her current situation but I don't have time to take a picture now)
    View attachment 5900
    View attachment 5899

My grandmother still has her doll. Grammy is 85 and the doll is 78. If you know my name story its the Connie Mae doll. Connie Mae is getting delicate and stays on a chair in Grammy's room but she gets a seasonal clothes change and sits in the living room waiting for Santa every year.

Gram didn't have a whole lot of toys and Connie Mae was the only thing she thought survived but when my great uncle died his wife found Gram's tea set in his stuff. She gave it to Gram and now its on her china cabinet.

My mom has a clown she played with when she was little but its not a baby doll.

15. Code

Code Well-Known Member

That is a great photo of yous playing with the dolls!

:)

16. Twinrific

How cute Kendra! Friena also still has her childhood doll (which was bigger than her!) and my mother has her gran's doll. I don't have any photos on my computer though but will try to remember to get some when I go visit my parents again.

:lol: Codie playstation weren't really and option when we were younger. It's amazing how in just a few years the technology and games changed.

I remember when I was in my first year of Highschool and we were in a residence, no one had cellphones (it wasn't common yet at all) and there were always these loooong queues at the Telephone room (Room full of payphones) The first years also had telephone duty were we had to sit in the telephone room and go fetch anyone who received a call. By my final year the telephone room was quiet and there was no need for telephone duty anymore. Just in a matter of 5 years things had changed dramatically and it's the same with the availability of technological games. We had basic (very basic) computer games, today there is a wide range of computer games, wii, xbox, playstation etc etc.

I'm going off on a whole other discussion here (the influence of technology on children today) but I think the balance has shifted too much to technogical games rather than imaginative play and free play. I don't think computer games etc are a bad thing but I do think the balance is wrong, too much time spent on computers etc rather than playing outside or being creative on your own. We did play computer games but we also spent a vast amount of time outside and playing different types of other games. Today children tend to just shift between their computer and playstation or some other tech gadget. I have also seen a big shift in the type of games that is made these days, When I was small it was all very intelectually challenging and puzzle solving type of games. Today you are lucky if you find a half decent quest game (puzzle solving game) There is more shoot 'em up games and just mindless non thinking games (such as sims etc) than the mental stimulation games that can be very good for a person. Anyway I won't digress any further. ;)

17. TwinPeshi

You is already plural ;) I didn't have dolls but I still have all my stuffed toys since I don't like getting rid of things...

I'm going to take this off topic because 1) this is the anything thread and 2) this is too good not to mention it.

This was a discussion Richard and I had today with somebody (no she isn't blonde):

Her: Are you brothers?
    Richard: No, we've never seen each other before.
    Her: Oh but you look so similar. [Whispers to her friend that we aren't brothers]
    Her: Where are you from? [speaking of a misuse of resources...]
    Richard: [insert country]
    Her: Are you both from there? From the same city?
    Me: Yes
    Her: Wow and you look so similar!
    Me: I know, we even have the same surname!
    Her: Why don't you ask your parents if something.. you know... happened?
    Me: We have... we actually have the same parents...
    Her: [look of amazement] You have the same parents but you aren't brothers?
    Me: Yes
    Her: [even bigger look of amazement]
    Me: [At this point I've come to the conclusion that I have to stop this at some point so it may as well be now] Actually, we are brothers. We were just joking.
    Her: Oh, but you aren't twins right?
    Me: We are.
    Her: Now I have to tell my friend that you are twins

You are going to have to trust me that this actually happened because if somebody else had posted this exact conversation I would have been sure he/she would have been making it up.

18. TwinPeshi

I disagree Brenda. There were plenty of mindless games when we were (younger) children too. The real difference is that children have become so used to being told what to do and dragged from one orchestrated activity to another that they don't know how to come up with things to do. The games are simply a way for children to be told what to do (find this, find that, shoot that and so on).

SimCity (not The Sims) is actually a very intellectually stimulating game.

19. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I agree I think that people have gone with globalisation and westernisation and we all (most) NEED technology too much, and people are getting younger using these technologies.. such as phones people I know who are 6+ have phones, I think its to young! Yes I got my first phone when I was in year 6 for my 11th birthday, but I didnt really use it until highschool, my first phone was a nokia 2100? it wasnt colour it was basic, I got my 2nd phone in year 8, it was alright, then got my 3rd in year 10 and it was a really good one a nokia 6100, I had it 7 months, nothing wrong with it, it was perfect - still is but sits in my draw where I use a $679 thing thats so crap I wish I didnt spend my money on it!

we have a wii, although I dont use it the only technology I use is my laptop - a must as all my assignments have to be typed, but i also use TS and Facebook or "evilbook" ( :p ) My hiptop and my ipod, I do exercise outside. My friend did her PIP on the effects of mobile phones it was a good pip actually.

Thanks I didnt realise, I know better for next time to fix my spelling up :p

Ok that girl is a twit, lol how silly of her!! Did you laugh at her??

It promotes bad images, some games are horrible!
    I don't think that some parents care what games/shows/movies their kids watch, or care how they act within society its sad to see a little kid talking trash and callling people names where they have no clue the meaning behind it, but the fact they seen it on TV.

Ok, response over, havent been on for a few days so had to make up for it :p

All assessments for my highschool career are over and done with, trials begin Monday, the balls in full swing!!
    Hope all are well :)

20. Twinrific

:lol: Adrian it reminds me about so many of our own incidents, like that guy that was convinced (without any difficulty) that my mom was pregnant for 12 months and our birthdates differed 6 months :laughing: and who can forget the one that asked us if we had the same mom just after he heard we were twins :rolleyes: I know that most people won't believe half the conversations we sometimes have with people about the whole twin thing and I try not to be mean or impatient most of the time but sometimes my sarcasm catches up and then the odd person takes you seriously. I do feel bad about it afterwards though, honestly :p

I agree there were plenty of mindless games but you could find the (difficult/challenging) puzzle games easier than you do today (or maybe my intelligence has just surpassed all game makers') plus it wasn't as easily accesible as today and not nearly as overused. I agree though it's not just the technology that is causing the problems, it is a lot of variables but the vast amount of silly games and different consoles available is certainly one of the variables.

Yes I know SimCity actually requires strategy and thinking but honestly what thinking goes into playing games like the sims? (which is extremely popular among children)

I have to add that I think game consoles such as wii is at least an improvement to being glued to a screen and just exercising your thumbs the whole day, it certainly can't surpass real exercise but it is a good start to changing the passivity a lot of technology causes.

21. Twinrific

Then in all seriousness educate me. It's not a subject I am knowledgable on :)

I don't really have much to add to your reply Codie but it was good! I agree about the age at which children receive cellphones. It is actually a pet peeve of mine, I hate seeing 6 year olds walk around with them. I also think people tend to plan less ahead than in the past since it's easy just to quickly phone someone and ask them what the next move should be or where they are etc

22. Code

Code Well-Known Member

100% agree with you there!

Question to everyone, who still uses a paper day planner??

23. TwinPeshi

I did until I realised she wasn't joking!

Nothing to do with globalisation actually (except that it has made things cheaper). People have always wanted lots of things, the difference now is that people have the income (or until recently the ability to borrow the money) to buy them.

Well you never know these days :p

I don't think so. We had plenty of silly games and consoles. We could buy computers (and lots of games), Gameboy and lots of others. There really isn't any difference now.

Technology doesn't cause anything :p It merely facilitates what is already human nature...

24. Twinrific

I actually still use my day planner book A LOT but I do admit I also have reminders on my computer and phone about the more important activities.

25. Code

Code Well-Known Member

its kind of permissive - we want what others have, its really greedy, yes we have the money now more then what there has ever been, but its really materialistic

26. TwinPeshi

I hate seeing 60 year olds walking around with them :p I think it is stupid how the moment an aeroplane lands everybody takes other their mobile telephones. When people sit down to have lunch, everybody takes out their mobiles and puts them on the table (disgusting habit by the way). Did I mention I find mobile telephones to be a waste of resources? :p

I don't like jeans so as a result it is a waste of resources for anybody to produce them :p

27. TwinRichard

I tried very hard not to laugh (really!) but I couldn't help it. I wonder if these people think back on what they said and see how stupid it sounds.

Yes, some games are horrible but then again so are a lot of television programmes. I doubt most children learn these things from games, it is more likely they learn it from each other and from their parents.

Were you both 3 months premature? :p

I can probably find a very long list of silly games that aren't in electronic form :p

The only part I thought was interesting in The Sims was designing the houses. When I finished designing a house I would start another one. Didn't take long to bore me though. Is playing The Sims really all that different to playing with a doll house though? You still have the sims do different things.

Obviously I'm biased but I prefer computers and (to a lesser extent) games consoles than televisions. At least there is some interaction (even with the stupid games) between the person and the computer. Television is only one-way and quite appropriately called the "idiot box". Besides, I don't see how children can be expected to run around outside when parents won't allow their children out of the house because of a paranoid and misplaced fear of supposed "child predators".

28. TwinPeshi

I agree but that isn't anything new.

29. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I LIVE out of mine, people find it strange, I dont have anything like that computerised, its all hand done and I check and add to it multiple times a day! I hate when things get changed then I have to change it to a different day/time as it looks messy to me! And I dont rip the pages that have been done out as it keeps a record of days/dates. It came in handy when the school messed up a day in my attendance and I could prove by work being due that date I was there, OCD :yahoo: lol

30. TwinRichard

I don't but I never really used them to begin with. I don't really use a calendar on my computer either. I used to but find that I didn't use it that often so I stopped bothering entering anything into them.

31. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I know, I its unfair but as humans we are strange. Its become about the WANTS more then the NEEDS.

32. Twinrific

:lol: Adrian listen to what I mean not what I am saying!

Then why weren't all children glued to computers back then? The popularity and availablity has most definitely changed. There is a difference :p

That's what I meant ;) Technology is definitely helping to make human kind more passive. Cause was probably the wrong word but you know what I mean, it's definitely affecting the way society lives today and you can't say it doesn't have a very negative effect on health and physical activity.

33. TwinPeshi

It hasn't become that way, it has always been that way. The only difference is that the number of people that can afford to spend on what they want and not only on what they need has grown a lot.

34. Twinrific

:lol: Adrian listen to what I mean not what I am saying!

Then why weren't all children glued to computers back then? The popularity and availablity has most definitely changed. There is a difference :p

That's what I meant ;) Technology is definitely helping to make human kind more passive. Cause was probably the wrong word but you know what I mean, it's definitely affecting the way society lives today and you can't say it doesn't have a very negative effect on health and physical activity.

exactly! :good: and availability has increased.

35. TwinPeshi

They were but children weren't dragged all over the place and never let out of sight. Haven't you noticed how paranoid parents are now?

Wrong choice of words again Brenda? :p It doesn't help make humans more anything, it has merely allowed humans to do what they would have done centuries ago if they could.