Thanksgiving Tradition- CROUP!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Jersey_Girls, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

Ugh-My poor babies. We had to cancel plans yesterday afternoon to spend Thanksgiving dinner with friends. We stayed in all day with the gals who were congested and coughing. I was up most of the night with one of my gals because she had a hard time sleeping. About 4:00 a.m. she woke up struggling for breath and with a barking cough. Terrifying. I got DH up and we took turns holding her outside on the porch hoping the cool air would help. Only problem- wasn't very cold last night! We couldn't get the bathroom very steamy so we ended up propping her up in front of a cool mist humidifier and giving her a dose of steroid medication that was left over from the last time she had croup (2 months ago). She was better in an hour or so but we stayed up the rest of the night to keep an eye on her. I am waiting to hear from the ped's office about bringing her in today.

We had a bout with croup AND pneumonia last year on Thanksgiving. UGH. I am hoping to break this "tradition" next year! [​IMG]

Lisa

2. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

Ugh-My poor babies. We had to cancel plans yesterday afternoon to spend Thanksgiving dinner with friends. We stayed in all day with the gals who were congested and coughing. I was up most of the night with one of my gals because she had a hard time sleeping. About 4:00 a.m. she woke up struggling for breath and with a barking cough. Terrifying. I got DH up and we took turns holding her outside on the porch hoping the cool air would help. Only problem- wasn't very cold last night! We couldn't get the bathroom very steamy so we ended up propping her up in front of a cool mist humidifier and giving her a dose of steroid medication that was left over from the last time she had croup (2 months ago). She was better in an hour or so but we stayed up the rest of the night to keep an eye on her. I am waiting to hear from the ped's office about bringing her in today.

We had a bout with croup AND pneumonia last year on Thanksgiving. UGH. I am hoping to break this "tradition" next year! [​IMG]

Lisa

3. yvonneinoregon

yvonneinoregon Well-Known Member

Poor baby! [​IMG] That is just not a good way to spend Thanksgiving-I am so sorry! [​IMG]

I hope they both get well soon! [​IMG]

4. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

UGH Lisa I hope they are feeling better soon [​IMG] and that you break this "tradition" next year!

5. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

Hope she gets better soon! Croup is scary! I was up at 4am last night with a coughing child too! Hope tonight is better for you.

6. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

UGH!!! That stinks! We had a case of croup here a couple weeks ago (I think...all the days are running together at this point). As a matter of fact, they're all still sick...going on week 3!! I hope that she feels better soon. Poor thing.

7. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

I feel for you and know how terrifying. My doctor mentioned on a warmer night to open the freezer and let them breath the cool air from it.

8. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Lisa! [​IMG] That's so sad!!! I'm sorry!! Glad you had the meds!! That's great luck! Time for a new tradition! [​IMG]