Teaching wiping bottom

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 1stbabies, Jan 11, 2013.

1. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Is there a DVD or some youtube teaching PT toddlers (2.5yo currently) wiping their own bottom? (This is mainly for daycare/school days ... ) Looking for help in this.

Thanks in advance for the feedbacks, always!

2. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I wish! My 4.5 year old still doesn't wipe his own butt! Drives me crazy! He waits all day long at school just to come home to take a poop. My boy twin does it and he is 3....Libby is a sneaky thing, she will go off and poop in the toilet but not wipe her bum and we will are none the wiser because she always disappears into her bedroom to play, so for all we know she is just playing. LOL!!!

when you find some teaching tool to ecourage kids to wipe their own behinds, please share it!

3. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

Ok warning this may be gross… one of my twins can and has done a great job of it for a good year + now. The other one cant… only because his poo is a different constancy and it takes a tons of flush-able wipes to get him “clean”… we are working on it with him by him doing the first two and flushing while he is still on the toilet and me “checking” the last one or two… the problem is, his is just messier and the other twins (maybe softer)… even when I use to help the twin who can wipe… sometimes he would go #2 and the wipe would be clean… odd and gross at the same time…

Ya, again… I’m no help… but know you’re not alone :pardon:

1 person likes this.
  4. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

My DD is not quite 4.5 Y announced she wanted to wipe he bottom herself! And she is doing great job, i still supervise her but I don't have to wipe her anymore!!!
    My DS is no where close but I keep encouraging him. I told him before he goes to kindergarten he has to learn and I know he will.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This sounds silly, but it really really works. Have your child reach their arm over the top of their head and touch the ear on the opposite side. So, right arm to left ear, or left arm to right ear. If they can reach their ear easily, their arms are long enough to start wiping themselves. If they can't, they won't be able to wipe themselves easily and will likely end up with sore bottoms. I can't even tell you how many times I've suggested it and it's so true and it works!

My older two kids were around 4-5 yrs old before they could wipe their own poo. My twin daughter is nearly 4 and can wipe her front, but not her back. And my twin son can't wipe himself yet either.

1 person likes this.
  6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two do a pretty good job of it most of the time. I read (on here) to have them wrap tissue paper around their hand and have them attempt to scoop it out (as long as they can reach, Danielle's advice about that is excellent). We are working on them, if they need to use a lot of toilet paper and wipes to flush half way through. There are times where both kids still feel like they need DH or I to double check them to make sure they got it all out.