Teacher gifts

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by miss_bossy18, Nov 18, 2013.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Who do you give gifts to? Obviously their classroom teacher but what about music teacher, librarian, etc? Do you do anything for them?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd be piss poor if I did! As it is, I think...Annabella has three teachers, the boys have two, and Anthony is in speech. Maybe 7 gifts?!? Who can afford this?!? Lol!

You have to draw the line somewhere. If, say, they had a special relationship with another teacher, sure. My boys also have their specials(gym, music, etc) and that would be five more gifts.

Good topic! I'm interested to see the responses!

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I don't do gifts at all.   Isn't teaching my little angels enough of a gift?  No?  :laughing:    The closest I've come is bringing in baked goods for their Jiu Jitsu instructors, but they are not paid, they volunteer their own time to teach the kids.

4. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

I give Christmas, Valentine's and End of Year gifts to the boys' homeroom teachers. I also volunteer throughout the year in their classrooms, hold a couple of positions on our PTO and chair the Hospitality Committee (we provide snacks for faculty meetings, cater meals for staff workdays and teacher appreciation and give gifts/raffle items throughout the year). I feel like service is a much better way to help out since I'm not able to buy gifts all of the time. 

5. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I was going to do just their main teachers, not library or PE. And I'm doing homemade gifts. (I'm making coasters from a link I found on Pinterest.)

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I do gifts for their content area teachers.  Last year I included their band teacher, because he does more with them than others.  The past few years, my Temple had done a pasta fundraiser, so I buy a bag of cute pasta for each one, and the pasta is $6.50 each, but looks like more :)  If you are interested, our sale is still open online and you can order from: http://www.funpastafundraising.com/shop/TCPRELIGIOUSSCHOOL

7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh crap, I just remembered I'm room mom for one of their teachers.

8. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Crap. Me too Bex.

9. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Gifts for home room and reading class teachers and the teacher's aide. Haven't given librarian etc in the past but might give cookies or something this year. Thanks for mentioning them.

10. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I do a larger amount gift card for their teacher (40.00) and a smaller amount for the aide, PE, and Art/Music teachers (10.00).

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am just doing their main teacher.  I don't have money for gifts for the computer, art, gym and librarian.  

I'll have my kids handmake her card and we'll list all the things they are grateful to have learned from her so far (we did this in pre-K and their teachers loved it) and then probably a gift card to Barnes and Noble or Dunkin Donuts, something for the teacher to treat herself with.

12. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My twins are in nusery school only and they have a teacher and 2 aids.  I work close to a rose farm and thought I will give the teacher and aids each a bunch of rose.  I love the idea of a thank you card with all the things that they have learned.

13. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Last year in Kindergarten I gave Christmas gifts to each of their teachers and then also to the student teacher in my son's class.  No other teachers though.  This year both teachers have student teachers so I will probably be buying four gifts this year.

14. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls school the class parents collect $10 for the teacher.  One of my girls class has 2 para that are for individual students but i know the para's usually help the whole class so might be collecting $5 for each. 
    I don't do gift for the art, gym ( there are 2 gym teachers), music and library teachers.  
    I had not thought about speech teacher, do most people give a holiday gift to the speech teacher?

15. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'm just doing both teachers, probably gift cards for Target or something because I'm just totally clueless about that stuff!

16. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Homeroom or main teachers only.  Sean has 2, Kaelyn has 2 and L&R have 2.  I absolutely can't afford to do all the "extra" teachers.  And I try to keep teacher gifts under $20, and something either handmade or hand put together.  A couple of years I've bought a cute christmas cookie jar, stuffed a couple christmas hand towels into it and filled the rest with hershey kisses.  Sean's 1st grade teacher adored it and said she puts the cookie jar out every year and thinks of him.

17. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I wish my classroom would just collect for the teacher and get a really nice gift.  The first couple years I bought for every teacher, art, PE, library, etc.  But then I joined the PTSG and see all they do for the teachers (I know that sounds heartless).  We buy for the teachers and then give a candybar for the rest of their teachers.  I then make a large breakfast cinnamon roll thing for the entire staff to enjoy. 

18. twinfinite

twinfinite Well-Known Member

I'll gift the main teachers and maybe the principal just because he is way too cute. Would that be wrong? [He has amazing curly hair! On top of his head, you pervs!] ;)

I don't know exactly what to give yet, but thanks for all of the ideas on this topic so far.