swim lessons

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Aug 13, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

when is a good time to star the kids in swimming lessons?

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We started at 3 because that was the earliest they could go without a parent. But if you can manage it, I think there's no such thing as too early as long as the kids are willing. (If they're terrified, it could be traumatic and could backfire.)

3. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I agree with PP, there is no age too young. At this age, the instructor will let them "swim" underwater by themselves. Not for long just enough for them to learn to hold their breath (which is a natural reflex anyway). The classes at this age are mostly for getting them used to the water and developing a good relationship with water. The local Y has classes for very cheap. Around 3 is when they really learn how to swim. Good luck!

4. margi33

margi33 Well-Known Member

We started 'lessons' when they were 8 months and it was really a lot of fun! Like PP said you have to be in the water with them at this age so it might not be possible if your husband or a relative/friend can't go with you. They teach them to hold their breath on day 1 so it's pretty cool. It is not really 'swimming' per se but they go underwater and even learn to kick and go a couple of feet distance. It's fun because you play games, sing songs, etc too. Our classes were like 7-8 babies total, twice a week for 30 minutes. I look forward to starting back next month :D

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We did the first set at 3 1/2 and after their second at 4 1/2 they can swim if they fall in a pool. Both girls swim with their heads under water too. Mommy and me classes are fun but we didn't have the time or manpower to do them. They teach the kids not to be scared of the water

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did the first round of swim lessons when the kids were 18 months old and they enjoyed it. Both DH and I had to be in the pool with them. The swim lessons we took out kids to, they had the kids get used to being in the water and learning to paddle their arms and legs. I would have loved to take them this year but we couldn't afford it this year.

7. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

We did Y lessons at 20 months and they were awesome. Just taught mostly safety stuff like learning to go to the wall, crawl the wall, get out, etc. and we sang songs and dipped them under but it got them used to the water and I think set a good foundation for really learning since they now kick their feet and put their head in when in the bathtub.

8. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

We did swim lessons this year. DH and I had to go. It was good because Jonathan was afraid at day one and now, he loves it and I cannot get him out of the pool. It was more of getting familiar with water more than swim lessons. Yes we go over kicking, moving their arms and floating.

If I had to do it over again, I don't think I would do it again. If I knew how to teach the boys, then I would not have gone. We go to the community pool during the weekend and I find that they are just has happy. With a beach entrance, they can walk and swim on their own. I am right their to pick them up if they cannot figure out how to get back up. Although, Jonathan gets up on his own now after falling under water and David is almost there.

I think its good to get them used to it!

Jenn