Survival Tips

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mjwebb05, Sep 23, 2010.

1. mjwebb05

mjwebb05 Well-Known Member

Just thought it would be interesting to hear how everyone is/was getting through the days where they are all alone with their twinfants (I know for many of you this is almost EVERY day, but for me it is about twice a week during the week, and then the other days my in-laws or neighbor can come and lend a hand for some length of time during the day or night).

I bet the twin experience is making all of you very creative and MacGuyver-ish if you are anything like me!!! (sitting in nursery sipping coffee and monitoring twins who have just had their early morning feedings and are *hopefully* going to nod off to a nice little nap in their cribs any minute now!!!)

:youcandoit:

2. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

I remember the first time I was alone with the twins I was terrified but at this point I feel like an expert!! :laughing: They are usually well behaved little munchkins so that helps. I love being a mom and wish I could stay home with them for another whole year but I have to go back to work sometime (i.e. Jan 2011). I think having to take care of them by myself during the day has taught me a lot about myself - I am stronger and more patient than I thought I was. It also gives me a great sense of accomplishment that I can wrangle two infants/toddlers by myself without having a meltdown (me or them) - most days! Having a good routine/schedule is key for maintaining everyone's sanity. You also learn to do several things at once - typing with a baby on your lap, eating with a baby on your lap, laundry with a baby in a Moby wrap, etc. The word multitasker didn't really mean anything until I had twins!

3. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

1. laptop
    2. caffeine
    3. tv turned on (so I can hear adult voices)
    4. always having everything prepped for whatever is coming next (at least 2 bottles made, 2 diapers out, the next meal ready in the fridge, pajamas laid out, etc.)
    5. canned soup and other easy to prep foods for me

4. RJ2006

RJ2006 Well-Known Member

I agree with Cat Mommy. Staying ahead of the game was key to me feeling like I had a grib on the day.

Taking them for walks was a great way to eat up time and they are generally very quite, so a nice quiet time for me too.

Baby Bjorns are great. Up until now, I could have one in the Bjorn and still hold one. Now they are nearly 22 pounds each, so its much harder to manage both in my arms.

Bouncy Chairs that you can bounce with one foot while holding the other were a life line for us.

Premake 24 hours of formula each day. That way you only have to mess with it once!

Caffeine and booze are also great (if your not breast feeding :)). I also found that Chocolate was a nice stress reliever.

I agree with Cat Mommy. Staying ahead of the game was key to me feeling like I had a grib on the day.

Taking them for walks was a great way to eat up time and they are generally very quite, so a nice quiet time for me too.

Baby Bjorns are great. Up until now, I could have one in the Bjorn and still hold one. Now they are nearly 22 pounds each, so its much harder to manage both in my arms.

Bouncy Chairs that you can bounce with one foot while holding the other were a life line for us.

Premake 24 hours of formula each day. That way you only have to mess with it once!

Caffeine and booze are also great (if your not breast feeding :)). I also found that Chocolate was a nice stress reliever.

5. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

I agree with the PP. I try to get out of the house at least once a day whether its running errands or going for a walk. We premix formula at night and I pour all the bottles that I'll need for the day so that all I have to do is put the bottle in warm water. I love our bouncer seat, swing, jumperoo, etc. I have diapers, wipes, onesies, etc downstairs in the living room so that I don't have to run upstairs all the time. And at the end of a bad day, a glass of wine or a beer is a great stressful reliever! :laughing:

6. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

We get out of the house on a daily basis to go for a walk. My 2 year old walks the dog and I push the stroller. We sometimes just go for a drive. I also believe that the TV on in the background is ideal!
    Routine was huge for me and it still is.
    The first few months I always had someone over at some point during the day but after they turned 3 months, I was on my own all the time! I think people just figured I "had it" and just didn't bother to offer anymore.
    And I also agree with JoannaD - a nice big glass of wine is always helpful!!!

7. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

I live for my routine :) I know what to expect and they know what to expect. I try to get organized the night before for the next day. Figure out what the menu is, bottles ready to go, clothes laid out.

The girls love to be out, so walks are a must. Even if its raining and we walk around the mall or costco. Since they nap 2x day I can still get all my chores done (not sure what will happen when we got to 1 nap!!)

Their favorite toy is me. We spend a lot of time laying on the floor being goofy. I do find now at 11 months that they will play with each other and toys and that allows me to sneak into the kitchen and get bottle going.

In the early months my husband had gone away for a few days on business and I managed, I was tired from the night feeds and constant care of little babies, but it was ok. I need my morning coffee, I need my shower. With those under my belt I can take on the day!!!

8. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Three words:

Double...Stuffed....OREO'S! :laughing: OMG. I lived off of those the first few weeks! HA! I joked my kids were going to turn into one(I was pumping at the time-so they were getting some!). I felt a huge accomplishment if I made it out the door at least one day a week-just for sanity purposes. You almost have to. And it was nice to learn what I could do all at the same time-ie: bottle feed the boys at the same time, text, and use computer. Or-pump and be on the computer and rock a baby in a bouncer/carseat.

And I survived the FY with NO coffee-or wine! :laughing:

Each day just got easier and easier-and back to hard again! ;) Just wait til toddlerhood! ;)

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had a schedule and routine down, the three of us needed that!
    All their bottles for the day were made up the night before, so I could just grab and go.
    I always made sure the diaper bag was stocked up so it did not take us long to get out during the day.
    We had a changing table with diapers and wipes downstairs, so I did not have to keep going upstairs for diaper changes.
    A good book and chats with friends also helped big time!

10. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

HaHA!!! I have the SAME routine daily!! :)

11. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I remember being terrified the first couple of times I was left home with twins, and my husband coming home to me in tears, unshowered, and freaking out. Then I just took control of my routine, and allowed them to cry a little while I got other things done. We got out for a walk every day and I would always keep on top of bottles. Once a week I made a whole weeks' worth of freezer meals. I had snacks EVERYWHERE in my house... in every drawer, counter.. everywhere. :laughing: I got to the point where I kind of resented it when my husband came home and screwed everything up :lol: