Surgery is scheduled!!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mommy2PJ, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

Well, after waiting all weekend to find out what Dr. Quintero's office would say, they initially said I don't qualify for the surgery because one baby had 13cm but the other didn't have less than 2 yet (it was still around 2.7) So I went for another sonogram with the MFM today and the fluid levels had actually balanced out some... one baby had 9cm and the other over 4!! So that was great news!

But, the baby with a small amount of fluid is less than 10th percentile for his gestation, so he definitely has IUGR. That, as it happens, qualifies me for the same laser surgery with Dr. Quintero, as it is in many ways essentially the same problem!

Because the baby has more fluid now, Dr. Quintero said that buys us a little more time. So we are headed to Tampa, FL on Sunday, for pre-op on Monday and surgery Tuesday.

Please say some prayers that all will go well. I understand this is about just as seroius of a problem... be it TTTS or IUGR or both, whatever they decide it is, it is still pretty serious and we're not looking at a perfect outcome most likely.

Will definitely keep you posted as I find out more!

2. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

Well, after waiting all weekend to find out what Dr. Quintero's office would say, they initially said I don't qualify for the surgery because one baby had 13cm but the other didn't have less than 2 yet (it was still around 2.7) So I went for another sonogram with the MFM today and the fluid levels had actually balanced out some... one baby had 9cm and the other over 4!! So that was great news!

But, the baby with a small amount of fluid is less than 10th percentile for his gestation, so he definitely has IUGR. That, as it happens, qualifies me for the same laser surgery with Dr. Quintero, as it is in many ways essentially the same problem!

Because the baby has more fluid now, Dr. Quintero said that buys us a little more time. So we are headed to Tampa, FL on Sunday, for pre-op on Monday and surgery Tuesday.

Please say some prayers that all will go well. I understand this is about just as seroius of a problem... be it TTTS or IUGR or both, whatever they decide it is, it is still pretty serious and we're not looking at a perfect outcome most likely.

Will definitely keep you posted as I find out more!

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Thankyou for posting - I have been thinking of you and your babies - I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! [​IMG]

4. runnergirl

runnergirl Well-Known Member

Just wanted to offer my support that all goes well next week! Let us know what happens. Hope you can relax and enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday!

5. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you qualified; you are really doing everything you can; the rest is out of your hands. Here's hugs and prayers:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Send an update when you can!

6. twomore

twomore Well-Known Member

I hope with all my heart that all will go well. I will keep you and your babies in my thoughts and prayers. Best wishes, and please let us know how it went,as soon as you are able.

7. cbrown39

cbrown39 Well-Known Member

I will keep you and your babies in my thoughts and prayers. Best wishes, and please let us know how it went. Take care of yourself.

8. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I will be praying for you and your babies, and I hope the surgery will be successful for BOTH babies!! That's great that the fluid levels got a little better! Thinking of you. [​IMG]

9. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

I am so glad that you did qualify for the procedure! I am sure this week will feel longer than ever having to wait! But just like a pp said, try to relax and enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday. You are giving your babies the best care possible, that should give you comfort!

10. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Sending more prayer to your family!

11. luv_my_kidz

luv_my_kidz Well-Known Member

You and your babies are in my thoughts and prayers!! Update when you can. [​IMG]

12. mycatswillhatethis

mycatswillhatethis New Member

Your twins are in my prayers.

13. Eimear

Eimear Well-Known Member

Good Luck, Will be thinking about you all!!

14. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

Stay positive - there are millions of prayers coming your way! Please keep us posted -

15. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are getting great care and I'm so glad about that! Good luck with the surgery next week and know you're in our thoughts and prayers [​IMG]