Surgery at 21 weeks and strict bed rest...will it last the entire pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by lisazinger, Apr 13, 2010.

1. lisazinger

lisazinger New Member

A week ago, I underwent emergency surgery to place a stent from my right kidney to bladder due to an unknown blockage. The severe pain, kidney infection and inflammation in the bladder, kidney, uterus region started contractions. After 4 days in the hospital the contractions slowed down, and I was sent home with anti-contraction medication, antiobiotic for the infection and pain meds. Unfortunately, I can't feel the contractions will all the pain and pain meds. The doc has me on strict bed rest for 2 weeks until the infection dies. The urologist is still trying to determine if he will perform surgery to identify and possibly remove the unknown blockage (maybe a kidney stone) or replace the stint every 6 weeks until I deliver the twins. Cervix is soft but not dialated and of normal length. Anyone have any experience with kidney stents? How long did the bed rest last? Does it seems reasonable that I might be on bed rest for the entire pregnancy? This bed rest is very challenging!

2. twinletmommy

twinletmommy Well-Known Member

Sorry I have no advice. I just hope you feel better soon! I was on bedrest for 3 months (for shortening cervix) and it stinks...but is necessary. Good luck!

:hug:

3. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

No experience here either but wanted to wish you well. I was on bedrest for almost 4 months and it was awful at the time but quickly forgotten afterward. GL and I hope you feel better soon.

4. Lvdargan

Lvdargan Well-Known Member

I am pregnant with a single this time, but also had a kidney stent put in at 22 weeks. I did not have contractions, and therefor no bedrest - but honestly, Im pretty much on couch rest anyway. I am in pain all the time and at the very best extremely uncomfortable.
    I have a big stone stuck just above my bladder. I will have the stent replaced in another 4 weeks and then expect 1 or 2 procedures after I have the baby.
    Good luck, keep resting and grow those babies :)