Summer bedtimes?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MNTwinSquared, Aug 4, 2014.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Are your summer bedtimes different than your winter ones? 

We have a winter (school) bedtime of 7:30.  I know my kids and Clayton would be fine with a later one, but Evan and Audrey NEED their sleep for their early morning (6:06am) wake up for the bus/school.  On weekends we push it back to 8:00pm.  During the summer, when we are at our camper it is 9:30 pm because of the sun.  They are STILL UP in the morning by 7 (or 6) on most days and it shows with their behavior.  During the summer when we are home, their bedtime is 8:00.  Again, they are up early and I need some time without them around. 

I just had neighborhood kids (don't know them) bike over here at 8:15pm wanting the kids to come out and play.  Two look to be about their age whereas the other two look to be about Evan's age.  I suppose I should not have said they were in bed, but they were.  Audrey has summer school and so it is like a normal school day for her tomorrow and we'll be up early. 

That got me thinking.. am I really being a prude and putting them to bed so early?  The sun is just now starting to set at 8:30.  What say you?  When are your kids' bedtimes? 

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Summer we are laz of bedtime. Girls are usually upstairs by 9:30, except on agt nights unless they are too tired.
    Last week they didn't go to camp, so they stayed up teen later. Sydney had a hard time getting up for camp this morning.

School time, the usually go up at 8:30 amd lights out at 9.

3. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

8:00pm on school nights, 8:30pm on weekends.  8:30pm during fall, winter, and spring breaks. During the summer I try to keep it within an hour because they get used to sleeping in which makes for a really rough couple of weeks when school starts again.

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

This summer they've been staying up until 9 most nights. Rea still wakes up around 7/730, but J generally sleeps until 8.

We are all in for it Thursday when school starts again. School bedtime is 730/8 and wake up is no later than 630. Ouch!

5. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

School year bedtime is 8'ish. Lights out is usually anywhere between 8 and 9. They almost always wake up on their own, but if they don't, I will get them up before I leave at 7:00. They don't leave until 8:00.

Summer bedtime is whenever. Again, they wake up on their own. During the summer, they are generally up by 7:30, almost always by 8:00 at the latest. If we've had a crazy busy day outside, or if I notice, by their behavior, they're tired, I will push for an earlier bedtime (8'ish).

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We keep the same bedtime, all the time, except for rare special occasions. I have an irrational fear of over tired children. ;) Anyway, we start the bedtime routine around 7:00pm and everyone's usually asleep by 8:00pm (Emmett sometimes takes a bit longer if he had a long nap that day). It's the rare morning they aren't all up for the day by 6:30am.

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

This exactly, except the baby still goes to bed closer to 7:00, and the kids sleep in on the weekends until 8-9. We don't change wake up time in the summer because my husband and I still work and the kids are still at daycare.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jackie, our bedtimes are the same unless it's for a special occasion.  My kids are in bed by 8pm weekday/weekend/summer/school.  They are usually early risers to begin with (sleeping past 7 is not the norm) and when school starts they have to be up before 7 because they have to be at school by 7:30.

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We are very lax about bedtimes in the summer unless we have something scheduled for the early morning the next day. During school, bedtime it between 8 and 8:30, summer bedtime has been all over the place. While on vacation they didn't go to bed until 10 or 11 most nights, but slept until 9 or 10 in the morning (yeah for big girls who sleep in finally!). At home they've been going to bed between 9 and 10. I'll start working their bedtime back to normal at the end of August to prep for school starting.

10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Interesting!  When dh started a job with Select Comfort (Sleep Number), he was 'forced' to attend a lecture from a sleep expert.  He stated:
    1.  No tv right before bed. 
    2.  No blue/green nightlights.
    3.  Keep the same bedtimes year round.  You find more car accidents the day after daylight savings time.
    4.  Keep temperature cool.

We also value our 'alone' time and sleep so putting them to bed early helps us.  It may not help the kids make neighborhood friends though.  They do not go to our school district since we open enroll, so we really don't know their families.  Audrey has not had a seizure since November 15th, 2012 but lack of sleep is definitely a concern for getting another one.  I tend to be a big protective of the kids.

11. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ours is a tad bit later in the summer 8:30ish as opposed to 7:30ish during the school year-its still fairly early since we have to wake them up at the same time year round to go to daycare/summer camp since both Seth and I work. 
    The weekends we let them stay up until 9-10pm since we can all sleep in and wake when we are ready to get up :)

We have neighbor kids out playing until after 9 in the summer.

12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We're keeping it the same here... 8pm. But they tend to stay up in their room and play sometimes up to 9.30pm (but they do that in the school year as well... sigh). DS is still up by 7am most days, DD sleeps in a bit longer.

13. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Their bedtime is 9pm all year, but we are far more lenient with it during the summer.  The bus (during the school year) does not come until around 8:45am for my girls though.

14. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We mainly keep our normal bedtime of 7.00 to 7.30 pm because the kids are usually worn out from being out of doors, active and in the sun so much. if something special is going on I don't mind pushing it back for half an hour or so but more means tears so I try to avoid that.