Stuffy nose/spitting up

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christinam, Dec 19, 2012.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Dh and the kids all have colds and the babies are getting them too. I havent called the pedi because they're still eating, pee/poo, no fever. But, they are starting to sit up a bit more. Not where I feel I need to call but it's more than usual. Does anyone's baby do this with a cold? I think I remember DS doing this when he was got his first cold which was ar around 7-8 weeks like the twins. But, it's been 7yrs ago.

2. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Could it be reflux kicking in? Although it makes sense that if they have a lot of mucous/ drainage that it could make them spit up more.

My DH had a cold Adalynn got it too, she was fine other than the stuffiness and sneezing so it was saline spray, humidifier, sitting in the bathroom wuth her while I ran a hot shower and using the bulb syringe . It luckily didn't last long or affect her like it was affecting DH.

3. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Rayce had a cold and he was just stuffy with post nasal drip. He did spit up a bit more...I think his tummy was upset from some of the mucus.

4. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

My girls had bad colds around Thanksgiving (Lilah's was HORRIBLE) and they had several episodes of spitting up/vomiting that seemed to be triggered by coughing. We never went to the doctor because of the colds but did call when Lilah had high fevers (up to 105). I just gave them tylenol/ibuprofen which helped them feel better but did nothing for the congestion. We just had to wait it out.

5. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

The spitting up was better overnight since starting the humidifier. Im assuming that helped clear things up a bit, they dont sound as stuffy, so it helped with the drainage/upset tummy. Joshua is coughing but nothing horrible. I'm not planning to call unless the cough gets worse, you can hear the raspiness in their back, or if there is a fever. The flu and other nasty stuff is going around and they could end up with worse by taking them in to be checked for a cold

6. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

If its just stuffiness id just stay home. I have a cool mist humidifier running 24-7 but the warm mist from the hot shower seems to have helped Adalynn and her stuffiness. And you're right the flu and at least here RSV is rampant so id try not to expose them if you don't have to.

7. aussiemom

aussiemom Administrator Staff Member TS Moderator

If you want to learn more about humidifiers, this post is worth a read.