Stretchmarks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Boni, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

I have every mornign and evening been putting bio-oil onto my tummy, thighs, breast ets to try am minimise stretch marks. I cant tell you how many bottles i have gone through already. Any way, yesterday when i when to the shop to fill up on stock again, the pharmacist told me that it is just an old wife's tale. That no matter what you do you will get stretch marks. I had no stretch marks on my tummy with my two boys, everywhere else, breasts, thighs. What should i believe

2. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

I have every mornign and evening been putting bio-oil onto my tummy, thighs, breast ets to try am minimise stretch marks. I cant tell you how many bottles i have gone through already. Any way, yesterday when i when to the shop to fill up on stock again, the pharmacist told me that it is just an old wife's tale. That no matter what you do you will get stretch marks. I had no stretch marks on my tummy with my two boys, everywhere else, breasts, thighs. What should i believe

3. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

I have heard it is mostly hereditary - if your mother got them, then your chances of getting them are, unfortunately, greater. I can say that I did not get them with my first singelton pregnancy, and I used Clarins Body Tonic everyday on my belly (it is great stuff - a little expensive, but I liked it). I have been doing that this time, too, but know I am going to get quite a bit bigger! My mother did not get stretch marks in her 4 pregnancies but one of my sisters did - so who knows. I would keep using the oil on your tummy - why not? It's probably soothing, too. Especially if you have experiecned itching like I have!

Good luck!

4. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

My mother got stretch marks but so far I haven't gotten any on my belly. And that is with a singleton pregnancy and a second trimester twin pregnancy, where I got bigger than I was with my singleton. I got a couple tiny stretch marks on my hips. They say it also has to do with your skin type...some skin is just more likely to get stretch marks. I think those oils, etc. probably don't PREVENT stretch marks, but some of them (especially with vitamin E) could minimize the appearance of them over time. Plus, they're just soothing when you've got dry, itchy skin. [​IMG]

5. JASB

JASB Well-Known Member

I think it is mostly hereditary and genetics. The moisture from lotion and oils should help from keeping the skin itchy, but I don't know if it really prevents stretch marks. I have heard that drinking lots of water can help.

6. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to agree that stretchmarks are genetic. It doesn't matter how big you get because of the pregnancy---you'll either get them or you won't. But oils and creams definitely help with the itching, and maybe (just maybe) prevent some of the severity of the marks...although they won't prevent them. If you're one of the few who don't get them---thank your lucky stars!

7. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, believe your pharmacist. I rubbed cocoa butter religiously on my tummy for months and erupted in stretch marks on my tummy and thighs ... they are genetic and if your mom (my mom AND my dad) had them, odds are you probably will too. All the expensive oils in the world won't make a difference, too bad.

They can also be cause for domestic violence when your honey looks at your stretchmarked tummy and asks you if you've been putting on your cocoa butter [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by kendraplus2:
    They can also be cause for domestic violence when your honey looks at your stretchmarked tummy and asks you if you've been putting on your cocoa butter [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] That is too funny!!! I have to agree with the majority, it is mostly genetic, but I have been rubbing on my cocoa butter religiously twice a day or more every day, just in case there is a chance it will help!

Helen

9. schaffemommy

schaffemommy Well-Known Member

From a grad standpoint. I used cocoa butter on my tummy but didn't on my thighs. I ended up with no stretch marks on my tummy but a few on my thighs. Everyone says it's genetics but my mom has horrid stretch marks on her tummy, breasts, thighs, and butt. I only got them in the thigh area so I choose to believe the cocoa butter helped. I used it from day 1 of finding out I was preggers. Just my experience.

10. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I used cocca butter everywhere for the whole 9 months. I have horrible stretch marks as my mother did. I do have friends who had twins that got zero stretch marks though..hehe. Good luck...It isnt the end of the world..but my poor stomach will never be the same. [​IMG]

Brandy

11. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I too used cocoa butter and other costly ointments (Strivecten) on my tummy to reduce/prevent stretchmarks. I have tons, and they are here to stay. Sorry, but like most others here, I have to agree with your pharmacist.

12. IVFmommy2b

IVFmommy2b Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure genetics usually plays a part...but let's be serious we are carrying 2 babies here. Not only are we gonna get bigger than a singleton pregnancy, but it's all gonna happen faster. I think stretch marks are inevitable really. However I still lather up morning and night with Palmer's Cocobutter...the really greasy stuff. It helps, cause If I don't have it on I'm so itchy!!!!
    It's interesting to hear who got them and who didn't. As for genetics, my mom never got any with her two singleton pregnancies!