STREE -- opportunity to go in for a second opinion today

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by 3plusTwins, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 3plusTwins

3plusTwins Member

OB called me and said they have an ultrasound technician coming in today who is really good with ultrasounds and that I could come in today to try to confirm twins. But I'm SO nervous to go in and it be too early (I'm 5 weeks 6 days by O date) to see anything (heartbeats) and then get upset for nothing. Or I can go in on the 20th (I was hoping to go on the 14th, so the 20th seems forever away, but this advanced technician only goes every two weeks, so it's today or it's the 20th). The lady at the desk said she will call the technician and see what he recommends. Maybe I just need to suck it up and wait to the 20th, because then I am sure to see whatever there is to see. At the same time, if I CAN see everything today, that could put an end to all this anxiety I've had. But if they don't see everything today, will my anxiety be the same or will it be worse? I just want to know that both babies are developing OK :( I'm sure I can go today AND go on the 20th, too. So maybe I should just go?? If I did go today, then maybe I could ask more questions and that might help put my mind to ease more. Is 2 days really going to make a difference? Then again, apparently this guy is a lot better with ultrasounds. So I don't know. STRESS.

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Hm. If it were me, I would probably go. I have no idea how to handle the stress if it's too early for the tech to see anything, though.

Here's the thing about twin pregnancies (or any, really) coming from a total type A, control-freak personality- there are going to be a ton of unknowns the whole way through. If they identify twins today and locate a heartbeat, then the question will turn to whether they are mono-di or di-di. There will be questions about monitoring and growth. There's really not a ton that they can answer for you at this stage, though.

So, if you decide to go today, I would do it with the full realization that it might not alleviate any stress or worry. It was hard for me, too. Pregnancy really taught me a ton of patience. :) :grouphug:

3. 3plusTwins

3plusTwins Member

OK, so, going in at 1:45. Basically they just are going to see how many babies are developing, not expecting to see heartbeats today. I think I feel a little better to be going in, actually, especially with them NOT expecting to see heartbeats. this way if they do, it's a bonus, but if they don't, it doesn't mean anything is wrong, just that it's still really early. This will at least tell me if there are for sure 2 babies. I'll probably still have to wait until th 20th to see heartbeats. Fingers crossed for a miracle though that they DO see heartbeats today.

1 person likes this.
  4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Stephanie makes a good point. Twin pregnancy or singleton pregnancy there's always *something* to worry about. And then they're born and there's MORE to worry about. :gah: So you may as well wrap the worry up & tuck it away where it can't bother you. Take a couple of deep breaths & rest assured that you are already doing what is in your control to do to keep this pregnancy healthy. Confirming number of babies today or in two weeks won't change anything other than your stress level so while I can tell you what would make ME less stressed, that won't really help with your decision. ;)

ETA: glad you settled on a choice! Good luck today. :hug:

2 people like this.
  5. 3plusTwins

3plusTwins Member

thanks so much, ladies. I hate being in limbo. I think I'll feel a little better if they see both babies, then after that a little better when they see both heartbeats, then after that better when I get out of the first trimester, then after that, better when the 20 week scan goes well, then after that, better when I make it to 32 weeks, hopefully 36+ weeks. But really, I won't feel completely at ease until they arrive safely (my sister in law just had a loss at 8 months). But you are all right--the worrying is always there. I have 3 kids already and I know it never goes away. Right now I feel like I've been given a miracle and it would be cruel to have it taken away.