Strangers touching my babies

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by AimeeS, Aug 29, 2007.

1. AimeeS

AimeeS Well-Known Member

Okay, so what is w/ people? I would NEVER touch a stranger's baby and for some reason SOOO many people think it's okay to touch mine. Even their faces!!! Every time I want to say something but it happens so fast - I don't want to be a b**ch but come on!!!!! I have no idea where people's hands have been! My mom just thinks I'm being mean - am I? I just think it's rude. Tell me if I'm nuts, please!

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I am the same way Aimee...so either we are both normal, or both nuts! :crazy:

3. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

You are not being mean, you are not nuts, and it is VERY rude! I used to move the stroller away and say "oh, no, we don't share germs" but with a smile on my face.

4. AimeeS

AimeeS Well-Known Member

Oh, Michelle, that's a good one - I'm going to steal that! I haven't found a way yet to say it w/o gritting my teeth!! :) :)

5. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I would do the same thing, except once when this lady would NOT stop, and touched one of the babies. I told her something about - oh, I wish you hadn't done that because we are just here getting Pedialyte for their highly contagious diarrhea. She couldn't get away from us fast enough. I feel a little bad about doing that to her, but, sometimes you gotta go what you gotta do...

6. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

This bothers me, too! I think I'm going to take Michelle's idea, too!
    Helen

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I am that way too. I cringe when they start to bend over to get a better look at them just hoping they wont stick their hands on them.

Rachel

8. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

I had these attached to my car seats and stroller. I would still use them but my boys are usually the offenders now! I have to keep them from touching others :p

Kimberly

9. pdxpeach

pdxpeach Well-Known Member

I don't think it's rude at all. My son was born preemie at 34 weeks and the girls 3 years later at 31 weeks. I don't want strangers touching my babies, but they see these small babies and just want to pick them up. I've even had people try and touch their mouth.... ugh!

10. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

I once had a Wal Mart employee grab my daughter as an infant (the now 3yo) outta the front seat of the cart while I was at the picture maker and a friend was behind me watching RaeLynn!! My friend freaked and was screaming that lady grabbed your baby!! I called the store management the next day... she was just standing there talking with the baby but seriously What are people thinking??

11. I do not think youre crazy and I do not know why people think that twins are fair game to give and spread disease to. Its kinda rediculous.....

12. shannonfilteau

shannonfilteau Well-Known Member

You are not crazy! I hate it too, I move the stroller if I feel a touch coming on. Why do people think it's okay? I wish I could spray some people with lysol and others with purell.

13. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

This drives me CRAZY too and I don't know how to handle it. I'm a little more relaxed now but when they were newborns I was paranoid and I just hated anyone to touch my babies (unless I knew them, of course, and they had washed their hands). A few weeks ago a strange woman KISSED my boys! Gross!

14. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I always step closer to the person invading their personal space. It makes them move away more quickly. :girl_devil: I do it nicely under the guise of wanting to admire my handiwork too.

15. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(EmilyM @ Aug 29 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]385589[/snapback]
    I would do the same thing, except once when this lady would NOT stop, and touched one of the babies. I told her something about - oh, I wish you hadn't done that because we are just here getting Pedialyte for their highly contagious diarrhea. She couldn't get away from us fast enough. I feel a little bad about doing that to her, but, sometimes you gotta go what you gotta do...

QUOTE(Her Royal Jennyness @ Aug 30 2007, 02:53 AM) [snapback]385822[/snapback]
    I always step closer to the person invading their personal space. It makes them move away more quickly. :girl_devil: I do it nicely under the guise of wanting to admire my handiwork too.

PRICELESS!! :rotflmbo:

I'm glad you like my method of madness! :) Also, if there isn't room to physically move the stroller away from them, I will physically take my babies hand and pull it from the person while making my statement. I am usually just a polite smiler when it comes to strangers but I started to think that it's my job to protect my chicks.

16. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

I hear ya! I recently had to pick up an Rx for my mom and when I got off the elevator with the boys, there was this chorus of, "Oh, look, twins!!" You know how it is. Two ladies came by for closer inspection. One was a young mom who "got it" and while she admired the kiddos, didn't touch. The other was this older lady who was just gushing over the nuggets, and started to play with their hands ... I actually bit my tongue but THEN she pulled Chase's nuk out of his mouth and said, "Oh, you don't need that, do you???" I said, "Actually, he does, please don't do that again." Not what I wanted to say ("Lady, are you freakin' insane??? Get your mitts out of my kid's mouth!!!") but wow, the nerve!! I think she was just clueless, though.

I think those signs are great, I would have loved those when they were littler!

17. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I definitely don't want strangers touching my babies! One time we were out for a walk with them in the Baby Bjorns, and a stranger came up oohing and aahing and reaching for DD. I managed to keep her from touching my baby by holding up DD's hand myself for a pretend wave - "Say hi, Ivy!" My hand kept the other woman's off DD without even seeming to. (But I am a sneaky martial artist, and good at getting in people's way without them realizing it. B) )

18. ksugal

ksugal Well-Known Member

Drives me crazy, too. I once was in line at the checkout at the grocery store, Jorden is screaming his head off. I was next in line and was only getting 2 things, this lady asked if she could get him out of the stroller. I said, thank you but no we are trying to get out of here. He kept screaming and she proceeds to start telling everyone that she would get him out and calm him down if his mother would let her!

19. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

I am the same. People are crazy thinking they can touch my babies. I am even paranoid about some of my family touching the babies. I know this sounds bad but it worries me when our other kids get in their faces to give them kisses.
    Missy

20. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MichelleL @ Aug 29 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]385557[/snapback]
    I used to move the stroller away and say "oh, no, we don't share germs" but with a smile on my face.

I Like that a lot!

No, you're not crazy. There is NO touching of my babies unless i've said it's ok!!! I'll move the stroller away and put on a cold/b*tchy demeanor if I sense someone getting a little too close . . .

21. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

I HATE THIS!!! I usually pull my boys away. It may be rude......but who knows where their hands have been!!

22. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I noticed with my DS that people were more willing to touch him in the stroller, so I started carrying him almost everywhere in my sling/bjorn. This won't be as easy with twins, but that's what I did with my DS. People are afraid to touch them if they have to invade your personal space.

Also, if I was in a place with friends, and their children wanted to touch him, I would let them touch his feet, after they washed their hands. That way they weren't touching his hands or face.

23. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

People are weird. I would never touch a stranger's baby's hand or face. When people get too close to the stroller, I just kinda run interference... move the stroller, get between the person and stroller, etc. Thankfully no one has ever tried to touch or pick up (!!!) my girls while we are out. Two of the little boys (another set of twins!) at daycare were trying to touch the girls faces yesterday when I went to pick them up, but the mom stepped in and told them not to. If she hadn't been there, I wouldn't have had a problem telling two 18 month olds to not touch their face. Apparently one of them is very taken with Meara! One of the teachers said he spends most of the day sitting next to her! :)

BTW, I *love* those tags that someone posted. I might consider getting one to hang from the stroller. -Leighann

24. takeluck

takeluck Well-Known Member

I hate that people do it, but I just let them. Babies bring such joy to people. A baby can make even the nastiest person smile!

I always keep Purell and the SECOND the people are gone, I'm wiping the baby down with it and then making sure her hands/feet/cheeks/whatever are dry before continuing our journey.

A few exceptions:
    *no touching my baby under 6 weeks old (not likely since we don't take them out that young)
    *no touching if the person is coughing
    *Little kids are not allowed to touch my babies -If they are a friend's child, I tell them they can touch the baby's feet

I have really relaxed since having my first child! I definitely would've bought the "wash your hands" sign for my first!

25. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kendraplus2 @ Aug 30 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]386036[/snapback]
    I hear ya! I recently had to pick up an Rx for my mom and when I got off the elevator with the boys, there was this chorus of, "Oh, look, twins!!" You know how it is. Two ladies came by for closer inspection. One was a young mom who "got it" and while she admired the kiddos, didn't touch. The other was this older lady who was just gushing over the nuggets, and started to play with their hands ... I actually bit my tongue but THEN she pulled Chase's nuk out of his mouth and said, "Oh, you don't need that, do you???" I said, "Actually, he does, please don't do that again." Not what I wanted to say ("Lady, are you freakin' insane??? Get your mitts out of my kid's mouth!!!") but wow, the nerve!! I think she was just clueless, though.

I think those signs are great, I would have loved those when they were littler!

OH I HATE PACIFIER NAZIS (that is what we call them) Some people think they have a say in weather your kids has a paci or not!! Again WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING!!

26. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

I decided shortly after the girls were born that if anyone touches my children I will touch them back. So, if someone strokes the kids' faces I will stroke their face, if they rub their head, I will rub their heads, etc. Of course I haven't had to do this because I REFUSE to stop for anyone I don't know (I have stopped for a couple sets of twins though). I also decided that if I get pregnant again if anyone rubs my belly they I will rub their belly. Weird I know, but it gets the point across.

27. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

You are not rude at all, and even if you were who cares! They are rude for touching your babies. I would go nuts if people did that!!

Love those signs! I just may have to get them.

28. jcs

jcs Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Aug 30 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]386040[/snapback]
    I definitely don't want strangers touching my babies! One time we were out for a walk with them in the Baby Bjorns, and a stranger came up oohing and aahing and reaching for DD. I managed to keep her from touching my baby by holding up DD's hand myself for a pretend wave - "Say hi, Ivy!" My hand kept the other woman's off DD without even seeming to. (But I am a sneaky martial artist, and good at getting in people's way without them realizing it. B) )

oooooooh this is a great idea! I will have to try that. I also cringe when people do that. What is wrong with people????
    My girls were at a party once with all these older women and we were talking about teething and this one woman with a really long fingernail stuck her finger into Cate's mouth and actually felt her gum to see if her tooth was coming in! I about died!! Even if she had washed her hands (I'm pretty sure she didn't) everyone knows that fingernails get soooo dirty!
    What was interesting was that the only people I saw who washed their hands before touching the girls, (actually, immediately after they walked in the door), were the two MEN (recent dads) who came to pick up their wives. I could have hugged them!

29. blueeyez553

blueeyez553 Well-Known Member

ive seen that happen so many time with my friends and family!! when my babies are born i will tell someone not 2 touch my kids. there is nothing wrong with that.

30. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

People see twins and it is like the own them! I HATE WHEN PEOPLE TOUCH MY GIRLS! Especially the hands! I could deal with the face or the head - but don't touch the hands! I had a sign on their carseat for the first six months that said, "Please wash your hands before touching mine."