Starting PTing Tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinboys07, Aug 11, 2009.

1. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

So, tonight after bathtime, Jackson ASKED to go to the potty. He has never done that before, so I said "sure" and helped him sit on it. He peed, immediately!!!!!! :banana: :woo: :banana:

We were thrilled.

But now I feel like I should PT him (and Jacob will want to, too). I'm not ready (terrified is more like it) and had just been thinking this afternoon that I would probably wait 6 months or so. But now is as good a time as any, I guess. I'm going to check out the PTing Forum and then go from there.

We usually go to the library for story time at 11:15 on Wed. Should I skip that and just make it a whole day at home with underwear (or naked)? If so, how long will I be completely incapacitated by this? If not, should I let them wear undies to the library or just go in Pull-Ups or a diaper? That's really my biggest fear - not being able to go anywhere or do anything while training (and envisioning that lasting for months).

Thanks, ladies. I know this is old news on this forum and I'm one of a million who've freaked about the PTing thing!

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I did naked training. I only wanted to PT one at a time but they both showed interest so I went with it. I stayed home with them as much as possible. I wanted to be consistent and not use diapers. I pumped them full of liquids all morning long and let them learn how it feels to pee and sometimes they made it to the potty and sometimes it was on the floor. But for the most part they picked it up pretty quick and we spent the better part of 2 weeks perfecting the art of making it to the potty on time. I use Pull Ups for naps and at night for both, but Derek is 100% trained. Tyler still pees at night in his diaper. That is great that he is showing interest and gets it. Go for it!! Dont miss the window of opportunity. It will be easier now if he wants to do it then battling later when you want to do it and he doesnt.

Oh, and I would personally skip storytime tomorrow and go for it with the potty!!

3. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I would also suggest bottomless training. My son did very well on it and he didn't have any accidents while he had nothing on. He did take about a week though to transition from having nothing on to wear just shorts and then shorts and underwear. But it was only a few accidents here and there. I would also probably plan on staying home for the first week and then after that just try to make short trips for a little while. For the first week after I thought my son was trained I did take him out in easy ups just because I was nervous but then after that he wore underwear.

Good luck to both you and your boys.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Woohoo Erin! No advice, but good luck!!!!!

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would skip storytime too. :good: I tried to stay home as much as possible when PT'ing to be consistant. Good luck Erin!! Don't forget, they will pick up on your anxiety/stress so if it gets to be too much, stop and try again in a month or two. :hug:

6. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I would def jump on PT today - I think it goes better when it is child-initated than parent-initated (at least here it did LOL)

It's frustrating for you & them but so rewarding when they have success (like last night)...H & N are still very proud of themselves for pottying and each tell me at least once a day that they are "all grown up now" or are "just like a big person"[​IMG] The pride in their voices is very sweet!!

I think going cold-turkey in either underwear (if you think they can get them up & down easily - and if you have them since Jack is the one that decded it was PT time) or naked training is the way to go. All of my girls at some point have used those "feel and learn" pull-ups. Thoe are a total waste IMO, more expensive than diapers and they didn't mind being wet in them anymore than a regular diaper.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!

7. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone! All of your advice is very helpful. We did skip the story time but didn't have success today. Jack refused to take his PJ bottoms off at all this morning (as predicted - he's really into control lately despite his enthusiasm for the potty last night) and Jacob was very excited about the underwear but he still pees about every two minutes. Neither would sit on the potties.

Then at dinner, Jack said "pee pee, please!" so I took him to the potty and he sat on it but nothing came out. Both boys ran around naked for a couple hours till bedtime but that only resulted in Jack proving the iron-clad nature of his bladder and Jacob peeing on the floor about six times! :lol: (Jake's always been a frequent pee-er so I'm not worried there is something wrong with him.) We'll see how the interest develops in the coming days/weeks/months.

Thanks again!! :D

8. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Because they are showing interest but still young, I'd build some potty trips into the daily routine. If you get lucky (I did with one out of five!) they'll start initiating going potty and keeping the diaper dry. Then the switch to undies is super easy!