starting cow's milk

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by smiley7, Dec 29, 2010.

1. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure I saw a post about this a while back but I am in a hurry to get breakfast ready and just wanted to put this out there... is starting in parts ok? What I mean, 2/3 formula mixed with 1/3 milk for a few days and then adding more milk and less formula a good way to start? Also, do you leave the milk out to get to room temp? Drinking fridge cold milk sounds a little too cold for my liking!!

TIA!!

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

That's how I did it with Nathaniel. I mixed it with his Breastmilk. Same as my oldest son.

3. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

We've been doing half milk and half formula for a few weeks now. I just give it to them cold out of the fridge. They aren't little newborns anymore so cold drinks can be OK.

4. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I was just about to start doing the same thing (mix 2/3 formula, 1/3 milk). I did it with my older one too but not until he was about 16 months..I used toddler formula for him but will be going straight to cow's milk for the girls (DH has convinced me it's a waste of money, lol). I also did use the bottle warmer for his bottles but I was also not be doing this for the girls either (the second/third ones don't get the same pampering as the first ;)). My girls have been drinking their formula at room temp so I figure cold milk will be fine.

5. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I've been giving my girls two ounces in their sippy cups. Their doctor suggested upping the amount in the sippy cup gradually while cutting back on the formula.

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We are attempting a switch from Nutramigen, which is a bit more cautious, but the doctor said to start out with 1/4th milk and 3/4th formula, and gradually change the ratio. Our boys have been getting cold drinks for several months. I gradually made their formula less and less warm and eventually went to cold, so it is all cold now.

7. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

I've been doing thirds (2/3rd formula and 1/3 milk) also cold for three days now and they are doing just fine. No issues. So I think i'll finish our last 2 cans of formula and make the full switch to milk. I haven't seen any changes in behaviour or adverse reactions so we're good.... I CANNOT believe we're leaving formula behind!!! Woo HOO :)))) Now when the bottles go, i'll do a silly dance and shout :)

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

That's really great! We are off of bottles as of yesterday, but having to take the milk transition slowly. They got 3 oz total today mixed with their Nutramigen. Unfortunately their reaction to milk is about a 12-24 hour delay, so we won't know for sure how they are handling it for a few days.

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's how I did it! At least with the boys. I think with Annabella, I did it for a day and that was about it! LOL!

10. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

Mine had yogurt and cheese so I just started giving her milk a little bit per day, while nursing other times. She has always had expressed breast milk cold since about 3 months old (she was REALLY hungry) so I just gave it to her cold.

11. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I feel the same way...I have 2 cans left and then we're DONE with formula!!! Hopefully the bottles won't be far behind and then I'll join you in your silly dance :).