Stain removal

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sylvarin, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Sylvarin

Sylvarin Well-Known Member

My two have the pee thing down, but not poop just yet. They understand when they're doing it, and Nikki has tried to poop twice in the potty (once successfully), but we're still working on it. They're in training pants currently because of this and because it helps reinforce using the potty to pee (pull ups felt too much like diapers for Alex). So, we've had accidents and I don't have a clue how to effectively remove the stains.

Currently, I rinse them as best I can with cold water (not sure if warm/hot would set the stain or not), then soak with Oxyclean stain spray overnight, then wash in the morning. This isn't working as well as I'd hoped. Any suggestions?

2. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Bleach???? Not sure what will get them out. Still using pullups here because of those stupid stains in diapers. <_<

3. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

I would rinse and scrub the area with a bit of soap immediately after accident and wash normally. FWIW, oxy stain remover never worked very well for us, but making a paste of regular oxy and small bit of water works wonders on stains. I apply, let sit overnight and wash and most things come out.

4. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I put a scoop of oxyclean detergent in the sink with hot water and soak all day and most things have come out, including poop.

5. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I use an enzyme detergent (read the ingredients -- it's rarely clear from the front of the package). The enzyme cleaners do a much better job with organic stains than anything else I've tried. When I switched from All to a generic version of Tide, I was shocked at how much less pretreating I needed to do. I just keep it wet in a bucket until I'm ready to run a load and the stains come right out.

6. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

One cup of baking soda in addition to detergent. It will also remove odors. Or washing soda (still Arm and Hammer but it's different than baking soda).

7. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We constantly have a bucket with a scoop of regular oxy clean on top of our front-loading washer. I plan to use that for poop stains when they arise during PTing. If you leave stuff in it for long enough, just about anything comes out.

I also have never had luck with the oxy spray.

8. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I had a bucket just for the poopy pants & I soaked them in bleach water. Sometimes bleached the undies too much, so we have a couple pairs that are faded, but for the most part it didn't really hurt the underwear.