Speaking of Technology. . .

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Apr 10, 2015.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Because of her ADHD and lack of fine motor skills, one of the suggestions for Alice's 504 plan will be to allow her to type her work instead of writing.  Does anyone know of any fun learn-to-type online courses?  Maybe even some basic computing classes?

I could probably teach her piano better than teaching her how to type.  :)  And I know her dad will just get incredibly frustrated with her. 

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think my girls played a typing game on abcya.  I will ask them this afternoon.  Also ask the school, they might know of some good ones.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1 person likes this.
  4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I thought you were going to complain about your broken ipod!  :laughing:

5. becasquared

No, that gave me a slight panic attack.  Like I couldn't breathe for about 10 breaths.  I started tearing up too.  :lol:  It's at 112 gb of music, I have a feeling that this is just a warning to make sure that everything is saved.  We've already lost a 64 gb hard drive of music back in 2006.  I cannot go through that again.

At least it's working *for now.*  Mikey's trying to get me to buy one that uses SD Cards because he knows I hate iTunes, but I just want something that I can update once and load everything on it and never have to worry about it again.  Maybe I can put a 128 gb SD card in it.

And now my heart's starting to race again with just the thought of it crapping out on me. 

6. becasquared

And yes, we sold over 1000 CDs before we moved up here to Virginia and we still have boxes of CDs.  Can you guess what I find most important outside of people? 

7. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

You can just google typing games.  Some are more fun than others.  I would just let her try a few to see what works for her.

1 person likes this.
  8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

there is also Mavis Bacon but I think she's hardcore typing for adults

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I took Mavis Bacon in 7th grade.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There used to be a game called typer shark that I wasted a lot of time with found very educational and valuable.

11. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My husband beefed up his skills with this game. It's very educational/fun.

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Is that still around?  I remember my college roommate and I having mavis contests in the computer lab freshman year :)

13. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Google "Dance Mat Typing".  That one's pretty good.

Marissa

1 person likes this.
  14. lola5

lola5 Well-Known Member

It's great to hear your girls are getting into typing games, as these can be both educational and fun. Looking into abcya reviews, many parents and educators have found their choice of games to be really useful for developing typing skills in a playful environment. Definitely worth asking the school for recommendations too, as they might have specific games to suggest that align with learning objectives. Engaging with technology through such platforms can be a fantastic way for kids to learn valuable skills.