Someone Please Help Me!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Mixonmom, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Mixonmom

Mixonmom Well-Known Member

My three year old and I are really having some serious issues when it comes to this whole potty training issue. We have been working on this for a solid four months now and he is STILL not fully trained. Well, I don't think he is. He knows how to both pee and poop on the potty, and has done so. Our issue comes in when it comes to going into the bathroom on his own. If he is taken into the bathroom every 15mins or whatever time increment, he will stay dry and clean. However, if he is left to his own devices, he will just go in his pants. We have had talk after talk after talk with him about this and reiterated that he has to go pee and poop in the toilet only. I have never gotten angry when he has his accidents either. At first I thought he just didn't get the urge, but I'm beginning to think he is just being lazy and choosing not to go into the bathroom. What are your thought, opinions and/or suggestions? I'd really appreciate any input!! Thanks!!!!!

2. daniv

daniv Well-Known Member

I am having the same issue with my 3 yr DD. I thought that because of the boys I wasn't paying enough attention to her needs for potty training. But I am glad to hear someone else is having issues. None of my friends are to the stage of potty training yet so I have no one to ask. I have tried everything: candy rewards, sticker rewards, charts to put the stickers on, telling her she is a BIG now and painting her fingernails and toenails, going at the same time, explaining that it is disgusting to poop in her pants to begging. Nothing seems to work. She just seems like she can't be bothered or take enough time out of her day to do it. I wish I could give you some advice on what to do but after her "accident" in the bathtub while I was tending to her brothers I have given up. She didn't seem bothered by it. Meanwhile I cried when I was cleaning her, the toys and tub. Right now I don't care if she wears diapers until she goes to high school. I hope someone has something to help you because it is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do with her.

3. Lisa R

Lisa R Well-Known Member

I'm struggling too. I have been reassured by so many people that it will just happen when they're ready. My DS has been through all of the rewards, stickers, treats, ect. He even has a Lightning McQueen racecar sitting on the vanity waiting for him to have a dry day. I went back to diapers the other day. I will continue encouraging but nothing else is working for us either.

Sorry.. I just wanted to let you know that you are definitely not alone!

:hug:

4. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

The only advice I have is to wait it out. My son did the exact same thing. He would go if we took him or asked him (sometimes) but would go in his pants if left on his own. We are not sure what happened (or when) but it kicked in. He now tells us before he has to go. Now, sometimes he is dancing while telling us but he does say it before going. Rewards meant nothing to him, I just think he decided, today is the day! Best of luck!

5. Mixonmom

Mixonmom Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies for the stories of sympathy!!! At least I know I'm not alone in this "war" LOL!!!!!

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We are stuck in that exact same place with both my kids -- if I knew how to get past it I'd tell you, but at least I can say you're not alone! I try not to use the word "lazy," but I describe it as "they just don't care if they keep wearing diapers." We have been trying to talk up the underwear thing, but at the same time, I don't want to push too hard on the "big kid" idea because I don't want to provoke a rebellion or make them feel bad about something they may not be able to control. And we are using M&Ms as rewards, which helps them say yes if we suggest going potty, but they still never make any attempt to initiate it. I'm just waiting for them to decide they are sufficiently motivated.