Solutions for excess gas

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by pinkpoonani, Dec 12, 2008.

1. pinkpoonani

pinkpoonani Active Member

My son has a lot of tummy troubles and i've tried everything i can think of to make him more comfortable. He cries all the time and there isn't any position I can hold him in that makes him comfortable. He acts like he's always hungry and would eat and eat and eat if u let him. He's a formula baby, i've tried the gentle easy to digest formula but it's not making a difference. I've tried all the different bottles and nipples and seem to have the best luck w/ the platex bottles. He's very difficult to burp too. Any suggestions? Gotta go, he's crying again....

2. trustinHim

trustinHim Well-Known Member

We've got a sock filled with rice that we heat up in the microwave for about 50 seconds and put on their tummies. Also do a lot of tummy time, seems to work out the gas, and bicycling with their legs.

Burp after every ounce and don't give him back the bottle until he's burped, that's what our pedi told us.

Good luck!!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(trustinHim @ Dec 12 2008, 09:26 PM) [snapback]1109029[/snapback]
    We've got a sock filled with rice that we heat up in the microwave for about 50 seconds and put on their tummies. Also do a lot of tummy time, seems to work out the gas, and bicycling with their legs.

Burp after every ounce and don't give him back the bottle until he's burped, that's what our pedi told us.

Good luck!!

Great advice! I also would recommend trying Mylicon or gripe water, those also helped with gas for our little ones.

4. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Our boy is like this, too. We put him face down on our lap, with his stomach across our legs. Then we pat his back (like burping). It seems to help him pass gas.

5. pinkpoonani

pinkpoonani Active Member

all good suggestions :)... and i've tried them all... I just don't know what to do w/ this poor boy. his belly is big and distended all the time and he seems so uncomfortable. How do u know if your baby is lactose intolerant?

6. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

i put both babies on soy, now at 3 months gas is so much better!

QUOTE(pinky626 @ Dec 12 2008, 09:21 PM) [snapback]1109020[/snapback]
    My son has a lot of tummy troubles and i've tried everything i can think of to make him more comfortable. He cries all the time and there isn't any position I can hold him in that makes him comfortable. He acts like he's always hungry and would eat and eat and eat if u let him. He's a formula baby, i've tried the gentle easy to digest formula but it's not making a difference. I've tried all the different bottles and nipples and seem to have the best luck w/ the platex bottles. He's very difficult to burp too. Any suggestions? Gotta go, he's crying again....

7. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

How old is he? Is he having regular BMs? If you've tried all the pps tips, I'd take him to the ped to rule out reflux. I hope you get it figured out...it's so hard to watch them being uncomfortable.

8. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

This might sound a little out there but perhaps goats milk. Many peds say it works. I was one of those babies where nothing worked and I would cry and scream and my mom tried everything including soy, until she thought of goats milk.

Something to think about. GL I hope the little prince feels better soon!

9. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

gripe water and the sock/rice thing is AWESOME. we have something similar

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

If Gentle Ease doesn't work, I would try Lactose-free, and if that doesn't work either, one of the hypoallergenic formulas (alimentum or nutrimigen, although I must have spelled them wrong!).

11. someone

someone Well-Known Member

you can check with ur doc before trying this, but mine either have reflux or gas, if they rule out reflux, doc said to try giving them suppositories DAILY, more than once i think, even if they are pooping, to get out all the extra gas.. she said it wouldn't hurt them and wouldn't cause them to be dependent on it. however if your baby is eating so well, not sure if its gas, mine don;t eat well, thats why she thinks the gas is bothering them to much to eat,\..