solids intake at 9 months?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lbzg, Mar 6, 2011.

1. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

my girls eat nothing! i try to feed them solids at each bottle feeding which is 4x a day. they maybe eat a bit of something pureed . what do you feed and how much? the dr acted like i should be giving them all sorts of table food, like everything! ugh!!!

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My daughter is 8 months and I am having a hard time as well. My boys at this age (as well as 9 months) were eating a jar of baby food each 3x a day along with 4 bottles (dropped to 3 around 9-9.5 months). DD however wants nothing to do with it! I am breastfeeding so I don't know exactly how much she drinks total but she drinks 2 6oz bottles at daycare on the days I work but its hit or miss with solids or table food! I can sometimes get her to eat 2 jars a day---throughout the day! or sometimes its 1/4 jar all day:( She does like cheerios, puffs, and pieces of bread but she has yet to pick up on liking peas, carrots or other healthy finger foods!
    My advice...just keep trying! Maybe try spacing the bottles and solids apart by an hour and try reversing order and see if they still drink their bottles after eating some solid foods. Other than that, I'm curious as I'm in the same boat and never had to deal with this with my twins!

3. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

I would try spacing out the bottles and solids. My guys aren't eating finger foods yet, except for puffs and the freeze dried fruit. I did try pancakes this morning, which didn't go over too well just yet. Our feeding schedule looks a bit like this-

7am- bottle
    8:30am- yogurt
    11am- bottle
    12:30pm- 3oz of fruit and 3oz of veggie puree
    3pm- bottle
    5:30pm- 3oz of fruit and 3oz of veggie puree
    7pm- bottle

Have you tried the mesh feeders? My guys like to munch of pears in those. They don't care for apples and I haven't tried bananas in them yet because I've heard bananas are hard to clean in them.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Annabella was never a fan of baby food. It was a fight to get anything in her. It was a different story once we started finger/table foods.

By nine months old, all three of my kids were pretty much done with baby food. I would take a jar or two along with me in the diaper bag in case of an emergency(out to dinner and they needed to eat, or at someone's house, etc). Otherwise-they ate everything we ate. You might be surprised at what they will eat-give it a try!

You can do cheerios, Gerber puffs, small pieces of chicken/turkey, ditalini pasta, peas, cut up potatoes, diced up pieces of toast, pancakes, waffles, eggs, etc.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I do not know whether you are breastfeeding, so this might not be helpful. But my pedis said that the babies still get most of their nutrition from breastfeeding at that age and that solids are more for experimenting, learning about different tastes and textures and skills.
    I also agree with PP: My LOs really enjoyed fingerfoods a lot more than purees and loved being allowed to sit on our laps and pick bits off our plates or fingertips. They then progressed to self-feeding fingerfoods and with a spoon, once they mastered the spoon they also enjoyed baby cereals, applesauce, yoghurt, i.e. textures more like traditional baby food.

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I would try spacing out the bottles and solids, too. At that age, we were doing this:
    6:30am - bottle
    8am - breakfast (cereal and fruit)
    10:30am - bottle
    12:30pm - lunch (meat, veggie)
    2:30pm - bottle
    5:30pm - dinner (meat, veggie, cereal and fruit)
    7pm - bottle and bed

It felt like we were feeding them all the time, but we only did that for a month or two, then we started cutting out bottles and offering sippies with meals, etc.

I'm also wondering how much your LO's are drinking each day? Our pedi told us 16-24 oz. of formula for ages 9-12 months.

7. fannymercier

fannymercier Member

I think you should drop one bottle. My boys turned 9 months 2 days ago and we dropped the 11 am bottle about 3 weeks ago. It made a big difference
    7 bottle
    8 cereal +fruit
    11.30 solids
    14.30 bottle
    5.30 solids
    6.45 bottle

Meat only once a day

Each bottle is 7 oz

8. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

we had the exact same schedule at this age!! but bottle and bedtime was 8 instaed of 7! :)

9. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

i hate to be nosey but how old were your boys when you got pregnant? and, were yours all natural? my girls are 10 monts and i am wondering when yo try? i think the earlier the better but i am nervous anout them not walking yet and i wont be able to lift them. i would love your input!!