Snack pack chocolate pudding

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, Mar 14, 2011.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Is it ok to give them daily? My son loves it so much. It is so hard to spoon feeding him baby food. But he let's me spoon feed him chocolate fudding. However he is super sensitive with sugar. He even gets so hyper when he takes Tylenol. so I don't know if I should give him chocolate pudding daily? Why do you think? Tia!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmmm...imho, I would say no. My kids are three, well the boys are, and they just had their first pudding last week. I personally would stay away from the sugar stuff. That's not to say my kids haven't had their fair share of cakes, ice creams, pies, cookies, and the like. But at 10/11 months, they were eating table foods/formula. And if they did have pudding or whatever, it was a special treat-like someone's birthday, family function, etc. Definitely not an everyday/week thing.

If he doesn't like to be spood fed, I would try having him self feed. Give him small bites of whatever it is you eat and let him have at it! It will take time, but he will get the hang of it!

3. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I would say no. Sugary foods cause blood sugar to spike. Give sugary snacks like pudding only on special occasions. Plain yogurt would be a good alternative. At 11 months, self-feeding finger foods is another good option.

4. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I would say no as well. It is fine for once and awhile treat, but I wouldn't do it everyday. Have you tried yogurt, or fruit sauce instead? maybe he would also like those. I like pp suggestion as well - give small finger foods for him to try and feed himself now - cut up soft veggies, fruits, small cheese and crackers etc.

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I would try yogurt as well-something like Yo baby with less sugar. He may like it just as well and it's much healthier.

6. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I agree that pudding is a sometimes food. While the pudding is fat free is definately not sugar free and isn't healthy. Every once in a while but definately not daily. Especially that young. My son is sensitive to sugar too and I have had to cut out a lot of sugar. You can tell a huge difference when he's had juice or chocolate milk. Start now because with limiting the sugar. You'll do yourself a huge favor. My DH is huge into treats and thinks daily treats are okay. I'm constantly telling him no when he wants to give the kids a treat. It's very frustrating. Especially since all of DH's family and a lot of mine are diabetic.

7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

No.

It is not a healthy snack. It's just sugar and chemicals. If your son likes pudding, how about making it yourself at home? That way you can control how much sugar you put in and can use just whole ingredients? We make pudding here with 2% milk, a small amount of sugar, and cocoa. The pudding tastes different than store bought... but it's a lot healthier! (but it's still a treat, not an every day food at my house)

8. w101ttd

I Haven't given it to him that much, only 3 times so far and couple spoons each time. I just wondered bc he loves it so much. I guess he won't have it for long time. He used to eat alot of yogurt. But recently he becomes so picky and refuses it. I give them finger food at every solid feeding. I think they play more then they eat. And they hate being spoon fed.

I don't give them much sugar though. They do have banana, mango,.. For finger food. No other food has sugar. They don't even drink juice.

9. w101ttd

And he has ear infection now. He refuses spoon feed and milk. He cries when hungry but won't eat/drink. Drinks water only. So last night I gave him some choco pudding though. :(

10. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I would avoid dairy right now since he has an ear infection, but about the pudding I would not give it to him. I think it is not healthy. I don't even give it to my older kids at all due to the sugar and chemicals in it. Try Yogurt. We buy a brand that has no sugar in it. It is sweetened with natural fruit juice, not artificial sweeteners. It is really good. Your LO might really like it! Hope he feels better soon.

11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I've given my kids chocolate pudding a few times (they're 3 though), but I give the kozy shack brand.. it's all natural and has no hydrogenated oils (the snack pack stuff has a ton of it). But yes, definitely not a all the time thing.