slippery shower solutions?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by al-lee-soooon, Apr 16, 2007.

1. al-lee-soooon

al-lee-soooon Well-Known Member

so everybody knows you should be more careful in the shower when you're pregnant, i have been paranoid about slipping and falling. i wont take a shower if mike isnt home just incase something were to happen.
    anyways our tub floor is pretty slick and just gets slicker when you take a shower due to the soap and shampoo and conditioner. well we have tried everything we can think of to make it safer. we've tried the mats, we've tried the adhesive strips, etc. any tips for a slippery shower? :blink:

2. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

When i was pregnant with my daughter, I was scared of the same thing. so i took baths. But One time i took a bath and couldnt get back out.. :( It took me like 20 mins to get out of the bath. The only thing i would say to get is a bath mat or those strips. But if you have already tried that I have no idea!!

3. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

i have a small teak seat in the shower with me. It's nice to get to sit in there!

4. ExpectingTwins 7-31-07

ExpectingTwins 7-31-07 Well-Known Member

I agree with pp get a shower seat. I don't take a chance so I take a bath. Although a bath is tricky also when it is time to get out. I slipped the other day getting into the tub, but I caught myself. That was scarry. :eek:

5. pdxpeach

pdxpeach Well-Known Member

All I know is don't get the little suction cute animals for the bottom of the tub. My husband got some for the tub for my son, I was getting in the tub the other day and when I stepped on it, it moved about 3 inches... I don't use those anymore. Very scary.

6. jball9087

jball9087 Active Member

I'm also using a seat. Sometimes it's a pain when it comes to reaching for the shampoo and stuff, but dh was even more paranoid about me slipping than I was, so he insists...better to be safe.

7. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

I use a seat most of the time. When the boys first started taking showers I would put a towel down in the shower for them to stand on. I was afraid of them slipping. It worked good, but then you have to deal with a soaking wet towel.

8. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I'm dealing with this kind of thing right now too. We're staying in a place that's not "home" right now and the shower is VERY slippery and more narrow than ours. We tried the mat and it worked the first couple of times but then started slipping. So far what has worked best is to put a towel on the shower floor. If you have someone that can help with wringing it out, etc. you might try it. I can't even bend down to get it out. :p A chair might be a good idea and I might try that soon too, but I'm afraid of slipping when I have to go from standing to sitting or sitting to standing...and would end up using a towel anyway.

9. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Is it a standard sized, regular tub? The One Step Ahead catalog sells a mat that fits the full length of a regular tub, and it works pretty well -- I have one in my daughter's bathroom, and have been using it since she was a baby, to help her keep her balance.

I have a seat in our shower, too -- not so much because it's slippery, but more because I am too TIRED to stand up and shower for a long time, LOL.