size discrepancy in same sex twins

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by denzel, Aug 20, 2008.

1. denzel

denzel Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,

Well, we just got back from our 18 month appointment with the pedi. My one DD (baby B) now weights 21.5 lbs (10th percentile) and is 80.5cm (50th percentile). My other DD is 27lbs (90th percentile) and 89cm (>100th percentile; off the chart). I know that the twins I know IRL have fairly significant weight/height discrepancies, but most of them are B/G. I am just curious who else has same sex twins with this much discrepancy. Mine were born at 6lbs 8oz (Baby A) and 5lbs 6oz (Baby B) so there has always been a discrepancy, it is just getting more pronounced as they grow. Baby B was labeled during the pregnancy as possible IUGR for being <10th percentile in size, but turns out she is just a petite kid.

On a side note, the girls are doing great!

2. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

My two were just about the same percentiles at that age. But they were 2lbs and 2 inches apart at birth. It is funny. My guys have the exact same build though. It is just on a different scale. I joke that my one son missed the memo that he was a twin! that said, as far as the boys born in my family, both of my guys are small. They are just two different little people. as long as they stay on their growth curves, I nor the doctor are concerned.

3. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Hannah was 3 inches and 2 1/2 lbs bigger at their 18 month appt, she was also bigger at birth with a growing size difference

Hannah (Baby A) birth 6 lb 1 oz, 19"; 18 mos 27.5 lb (85%), 35 1/4" (off the charts)
    Natalie (Baby B) birth 5 lb 0 oz, 18"; 18 mos 24.8 lb (55%), 32 1/2 " (70%)

Natalie is just now switching from 18 to 24 mos clothes. Hannah has been in 24s for awhile and is mostly wearing 2T. It's funny because a lot of people are confused by my girls :D When people ask if they are twins they are not just making the standard twin conversation, they are trying to figure it out because they usually think Hannah is older, they just can't figure out how I have three "so close together". (They also usually think DD1 is younger than she is - she has always been at the bottom of the height chart and was by far the shortest in her preschool class last year.) Natalie is also very clingy so that might have something to do with it too! Today, for example, we were at the park. I was holding Natalie and Hannah was on the big girl swings with Rachel. Another mom asked me how far apart they were and seem truly surprised they were twins, then I said Rachel just had a birthday and she said "How old are you - are you three now?" to Rachel. Another mom recently asked me if they were all two years apart :unknw: I've also been asked at least 5 or 6 times if they are triplets. I assume these people don't actually know that triplets means they are born together, not just three sisters :lol:

4. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

Our boys have always had a big size discrepancy. 3lbs and 3 inches difference at birth!!! (Luke 5lb 11oz, 19 inch, Ben only 2lb 13oz, 16 inch) Ben had IUGR which was diagnosed in my 7th month of pregnancy.

They are fraternals and besides the IUGR in the beginning, Luke is just built so differently than Ben. Luke is very solid...he has always been in or above the 90% in height and weight. Ben is a bean pole. He caught up to his brother in height by his 2nd bday. But in weight, he's never more than 50% which considered his height is slim. At age 4.5, they both are tall at 44.5inch but Luke weighs 46lbs and Ben 37lbs.

When they were infants, the size issue ALWAYS came up. Now, its barely mentioned.

Here's a pic at 1 month old View attachment 4140
    and this past summer View attachment 4141

5. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

My twins (g/b) were size different when they were born.....

Rianna 4 lbs and 13 oz w/17.5 inches
    Justin 6 lbs and 2 oz. w/20 inches

Then right around 6 mos until 15 months they both weight the same but their 1 inch height made a different. Justin is tall/thin while Rianna has heavy top torso w/thick arm and round face. They are schedule to go for their 2 year old check-up next month. They are not noticeable with weight or height as they did when they were born.

D, w/Rianna and Justin (22.5 mos)

6. Britten

Britten Well-Known Member

My fraternal girls were only 5oz apart at birth....and now there is a 6 pound difference!! It really does confuse strangers, especially if they are dressed alike.

Baylinn is a stringbean - no bum, no waist...but she's the better eater. She can still wear some 6-9 month clothes...the 12 month stuff sometimes hangs off her.

Breena is just round all over!! I can still squeeze her into some 12 month outfits, but soon she's going to be all in 18 months.

I swear it's genetic. I was a skinny kid, my younger sister was chubby. She has two kids - my nephew is skinny and was as a baby too, but her new baby girl is growing out of her 6-9 outfits at only 5 months!

7. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

my girls were a little over a 1lb. different when they were born. Now they have settled into a pattern of 4 lbs difference. A's weight falls about 50% while B's weight tends to be about 3%. They are fine and healthy.

8. Gabe+2more

Gabe+2more Well-Known Member

At birth, Lily was 7#2oz, 20 inches long, Bell was 9#1oz, 22 inches long.

Now at 2 1/2, they are as follows: Lily 34lbs 35 1/2 inches tall, Bell 43lbs, 38 1/2 inches tall.

I think Gabe and Bell look more like twins than Lily and Bell. Gabe is 4 though!

9. meredithcrouse

meredithcrouse New Member

Hi,

My boys are fraternals and incredibly different in size- so much so that they are often confused for being 'Irish twins' when we are out places.

This has been the case since birth as Nathan was 1 lb 13 oz (IUGR) and Colin was 3 lb 11 oz. Even so, though, their builds are quite different. Colin is sort of bulky and almost stocky while Nathan is very lean and muscular. It's actually funny to see!

We just ahd our 18 month appt and they are both progressing well and are on track as if they were term babies. The only disappointing part was that Nathan still isn't 20 pounds so still has to ride facing backwards!

10. ckkillman

ckkillman Well-Known Member

My boys were almost exactly the same at birth- Garrett was 6 lbs 8 oz and Turner was 6 lbs 5 oz. At their 15 month appt, Garrett was 20 lbs and Turner was 25 lbs. Turner started gaining faster after the first month and has always been bigger than G since. They are the exact same height, though- 30.5".

11. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Are they frats ? It seems to me that ID's tend to (not always) stay pretty much in the same size category. Where frats can vary greatly.
    Either way they are both adorable and I'm happy the are doing great ! :)

12. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

My girls are frats and are very close in height and weight while their cousins who are ID twin girls have an obvious size difference. As long as they are healty, I wouldn't worry about the size difference.

13. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

My girls are identical and they have a 3 lb weight difference. Not nearly as big as the difference between your girls but it was very easy to see up through about 3 years old. By that age they weighed enough that the 3 lbs wasn't such a big percentage of their total weight so you can't really see it anymore.

14. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

My id boys have differed in weight by 3-5 pounds their whole lives. They were only about 1 lb. different at birth (5.8 and 6.4), but Nate grows more quickly and tends to be more solid, while Drew is more of a beanpole. It's funny, Nate will shoot up and out and the difference in size and weight is very obvious. Then a week or two later, Drew will catch up with Nate and there will be a few days/weeks where they are really close in size, then Nate will shoot up again. Now, 5 years later, I can see this pattern repeating itself constantly.

15. AriaGirl77

AriaGirl77 Well-Known Member

My frat girls were 2 lbs. difference at birth, and now they're about 1 lbs. difference.

I really don't think it's a big deal, especially if your girls are fraternal. They're just two very different babies, no big deal! :)