Similac Human Milk Fortifier

Discussion in 'General' started by two.heartbeats, Aug 29, 2007.

1. two.heartbeats

two.heartbeats Well-Known Member

I am having issues with Similac Human Milk Fortifier....My preemies need to have it mixed in with the milk, but it always comes out clumpy and falls to the bottom, or gets stuck in the nipple. This stuff is $$$$$$$, and I feel like I am wasting it! I tried a "formula mixer", but it didn't work at all. Anyone have experience with this stuff?? Any tips?? :huh:

2. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with that in particular. Is is something you mix with breastmilk? When I made regular formula, I found that if I mixed it with very hot water, the powder dissolved easily. I made it ahead of time, so by the time I gave it to the babies, it was cool. Could you heat the milk before mixing, if that's possible?

3. two.heartbeats

QUOTE(Snittens @ Aug 29 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]385833[/snapback]
    I don't have experience with that in particular. Is is something you mix with breastmilk? When I made regular formula, I found that if I mixed it with very hot water, the powder dissolved easily. I made it ahead of time, so by the time I gave it to the babies, it was cool. Could you heat the milk before mixing, if that's possible?

Thanks! I'll give that a try!! :)

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

How about a blender?? I dont have any experience with the Fortifier but one of my sons is on Alimentum and I found that if I needed to make a bunch of bottles, the blender was the way to go.

Rachel

5. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

I second making it in batches ahead of time. I mix Neosure into breastmilk in 8oz bottles and shake it very hard. What clumps are left usually dissolves when I heat up the bottles.

6. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

We mixed in Neosure as well, just put it in, gave it a good shake and put it in a cup of hot water to warm it up for a few minutes

7. Tracy-mom to twin boys

Tracy-mom to twin boys Well-Known Member

We use the fortifier at work-I am a NICU nurse. When i add it I just make sure to shake it up really well. I know that what helped when I had my twins and had to supplement w/ preemie formula I used the Gallon pitcher from Pampered Chef. It has a pump that mixes everything wonderfully-there is a grate along the bottom so when you pump it up and down to mix it gets everything. I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it- get one if you can-it works awesome!!!!!
    The fortifier is extremely expensive so I can sympathize with you on that one. Have you considered supplementing 3 bottles a day of Neosure- or are you opposed to using formula? If you aren't opposed to the formula ask your pedi if you can do that-it will save you so much money. Good luck!!!!!

Tracy
    Mom to Griffin & Alex
    03/14/02 :itwins_boys:

8. mrsjo

mrsjo Well-Known Member

You can get something else that is not soooo expensive that will help your babies get the extra that they need. Ethan & Eric had the same problems and we ended up giving them a liquid with every feeding that was basically coconut (if I remember correctly)based. We used the Similac Milk fortifier for about 2 weeks but changed because of excessive costs. Your insurance will not pay for the fortifier. ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THIS OTHER PRODUCT. IT worked just as well for my guys and one huge bottle was all we had to get, ever. It was only about $80.00 to $60.00 and lasted the entire year that they were on breast milk. It is a thick clear sweet liquid and is very easy to mix and get babies to take!!!

9. two.heartbeats

QUOTE(mrsjo @ Aug 31 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]387623[/snapback]
    You can get something else that is not soooo expensive that will help your babies get the extra that they need. Ethan & Eric had the same problems and we ended up giving them a liquid with every feeding that was basically coconut (if I remember correctly)based. We used the Similac Milk fortifier for about 2 weeks but changed because of excessive costs. Your insurance will not pay for the fortifier. ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THIS OTHER PRODUCT. IT worked just as well for my guys and one huge bottle was all we had to get, ever. It was only about $80.00 to $60.00 and lasted the entire year that they were on breast milk. It is a thick clear sweet liquid and is very easy to mix and get babies to take!!!

Do you know what it is called? I'll ask about it! :)

10. mrsjo

mrsjo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(two.heartbeats @ Aug 31 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]387728[/snapback]
    Do you know what it is called? I'll ask about it! :)

I do not remember the name but it is a prescription from your doctor. Your pedi should be able to help you with it. I just explained to my pedi that we could not do the milk fortifier because of cost and that combined with the fact that insurance would not pay because it was a food product. I asked "What else could we do??"? She came up with this stuff. It is a coconut oil based product and your doc should be able to prescribe it for your babies. I hope this helps.