Shooting a shot gun

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Brown Eyed Gurl, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

I just wonder if anyone knows if it's safe or not......Spring turkey season is almost here and I keep forgetting to ask.....so anyone else shot guns while pregnant? It doesn't have much of a kick if any.....it's just a 20 gauge.

2. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

XH wanted me to learn to shoot while pg with my second. The guys at the gun range (the owners) said no way, the sound would be dangerous to the baby's ears. I do not know if this is true, as I have never done any research. I assume shooting out in the open wouldn't be as bad--less echo--but since I didn't want to shoot anyway, I took them at the word and never looked into it any further.

3. anippy

anippy Well-Known Member

Are you going to be out in the open and most likely the only one shooting near you? I would think it wouldn't be too bad. I've only shot a couple of low-powered rifles, though, never a 20-gauge. But I wouldn't recommend going to a range or anything like that. Every time I've been to ours (pre-preg, of course), I always got stuck next to the butthead with the hand-cannon that was so loud I felt like I didn't have any ear protection on at all.

Gobble-gobble.

4. LillyWhite1

LillyWhite1 Well-Known Member

In the What To Expect When Expecting, and the Mayo Clinc Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy the both mention that loud noises not only can harm the baby's hearing, it can startle them and distress them causing their heart rates to decelerate and accelerate dramatically. Plus I would think that as little a kick as that 20 gauge may seem to you, your babies will feel it too and it will not be as pleasant a thrill experience for them as it is for you. They react to your normal speaking voice, as well as your husbands, and also to your touching and poking your belly.

You also want to keep in mind that the shooting range will not be as well ventilated as a pg lady would need. I wouldn't want to be inhaling all those fumes. Is it really that important to you to go hunting this season? Or could you just wait until next year?

5. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I would err on the side of caution and avoid it myself. Loud noises can cause hearing loss in utero and distress to the babies.

6. Brown Eyed Gurl

it would be out in the woods not at a range....but I think I'll ask my Dr to be sure......don't want to risk harm to my angels...

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

A buddy of my husband's wife made sure she shot & had loud noises around her when she was VERY pregnant with her son. Her reasoning is that she didn't want to stop doing what she was doing and trying to get the baby used to the 'loud' noises.

8. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Lots of different opinions on this one. When I was pregnant with the boys, I missed squirrel season (would use my 20 gauge) and deer season (270 rifle) because my doctor told me it was not advisable. The noise, plus the kick. Not to mention that when hunting, there is always a risk, no matter how small, that you could be an unintended victim. Plus for me, where we hunt, I'd have to ride a four wheeler which was also a big no-no based on my doc's recommendation.

9. Brown Eyed Gurl

uh oh.....4 wheelers are a no no.....wonder about a tractor?

10. mylife

mylife Well-Known Member

QUOTE(LillyWhite1 @ Mar 25 2008, 10:36 PM) [snapback]687474[/snapback]
    In the What To Expect When Expecting, and the Mayo Clinc Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy the both mention that loud noises not only can harm the baby's hearing, it can startle them and distress them causing their heart rates to decelerate and accelerate dramatically. Plus I would think that as little a kick as that 20 gauge may seem to you, your babies will feel it too and it will not be as pleasant a thrill experience for them as it is for you. They react to your normal speaking voice, as well as your husbands, and also to your touching and poking your belly.

You also want to keep in mind that the shooting range will not be as well ventilated as a pg lady would need. I wouldn't want to be inhaling all those fumes. Is it really that important to you to go hunting this season? Or could you just wait until next year?

I agree about the range...I didn't really notice it when I wasn't pregnant, but when I droped DH off, wow, I noticed it then!! I didn't shoot outside either... I had visions of myself falling on my bottom from the kick!!!

11. snakegetterswife

snakegetterswife Well-Known Member

i feel your pain...turkey season starts next week for us!! ever tried huntin' with a bow???? i haven't actually asked my doc but i would think no! i will probably go with my husband a time or two but he will carry is bow and i will probably film! but even if i just get out there and listen to them gobble it will be enough for me! the 4-wheeler was a big no as well with my doctor so i would think a tractor is a no too, just like a boat!

12. Brown Eyed Gurl

I have tried and I guess i'm a whimp cause I have trouble pulling a 60# bow back.....either i'm a whimp or my arms are to short...gosh I've already done lots of no no's.....I've been riding the 4 wheeler alot and I had to ride the tractor cause we got flooded out last week and that was our only transportation that would make it through the water.....and no boat too.....gosh there goes my camping and fishing trip......yeah it will be fun to just hear them gobble I guess...