Separate Birthday Parties? (6 years old)

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by 40+mom, Jan 10, 2012.

1. 40+mom

40+mom Well-Known Member

Hi:

We are considering separate b-day parties this year for our (soon to be) 6 year old boy/girl twins. All prior birthdays have been "joint," but the kids are in separate kindergarten classes and have different groups of friends.

Any pros/conse? Or thoughts or ideas on managing separate parties?

Thanks!

Meg

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Instead of separate parties, could you send separate invites and only indicate one child on the appropriate invite?

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I agree. It's much more practical to have a joint party. You could still do a split theme and two cakes

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We just had the girls' birthday party and we did a joint with separate themes. Sarah's was rockstar, so I bought balloons and treat bag fillers that were rock star themed, and Allison's was Hello Kitty, with Hello Kitty themed treat bag fillers and balloons. Each kid invited got treat bags with both types of fillers, boys and girls, and the decorations were generic that fit both themes (in our case purple). Sarah and Allison each got their own cake, and they each got five invitations a piece to invite five friends of their choosing from school. By the time they invited their friends from school and then family, we had a ton of kids. They loved their party, it was joint, yet each of my girls got their own theme.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I offered to do separate parties for our kids this year (even though they're both girls and in the same class). I was actually looking forward to it because it seemed like a way to keep the parties small. But they both wanted to do a swimming party and invite the whole class, so that's what we did.

However, if your kids are into the idea of separate parties, I would totally do it. I think a twin has just as much right as anyone to have a birthday that is just for him/her alone.

I'd suggest having them on completely different weekends -- can you split the difference so their birthday falls in the middle? The one who is second might be bummed about it, but it would be much easier on you than having two parties on top of each other. I would also keep them both small -- maybe 6 kids max.

ETA: I wanted to clarify that in our case it wasn't so much a question of "themes" -- neither of them is into any particular thing like that -- but that they originally wanted completely different activities. One wanted ice skating while the other wanted gymnastics, or something like that.

1 person likes this.
  6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ITA with this. I knew from before they were born that there is a chance that they would want their own parties. They couldn't be an extravagant party but it would be special. I guess I look at it like the whole world looks at my boys as a set- its my job to make sure they know that there is love and consideration for each unique kid. :)

7. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

All our boys have their birthdays within 11 days of each other. We always do a joint party.

8. KimberlyF

KimberlyF Well-Known Member

We did separate birthday parties this past year for their 5th birthday. We did one one weekend and the other the next. They were both at our house. Natalie was so excited to have her girly princess party with 5 of her closest girlfriends, and Eli was equally excited to have 5 boy friends at his race cars party. It was totally worth it. None of the parents stayed, so it was just a few kids at each party.

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to do separate parties, but then they both talked about wanting to do the same thing. So we are doing a joint bowling party, but they each are inviting 5 of their own friends. :good: So the invite for Emilie's friends will say it's for Emilie's party and Trevor's friends will be invited to his party. :good:

But if they wanted to do separate things I would have done separate parties. I would do one party one weekend and then the other party the other weekend. I would be okay with that.

10. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

Hello!

I am in the same situation as you are in with boy/girl with prior past time joint birthday parties too. This is the first year we are going to be separating the twins' 6th birthday it is because they asked me. They both each want their own birthday with their OWN friends.

I get it, I am happy that they are going to give it a try this year. My son want his at a bowling place while my daughter want her to be "Vintage Barbie Glam" at home.

The first 4 years we had all of our home parties until last year the biggest 5th birthday party (Cowboy & Cowgirl) was held at the horse stable where children were to ride on hay ride, pet the horses, and games. They had so much FUN!

I could NEVER agreed to have 2 separate themes at the same party?! I prefer Minnie & Mickey Mouse, Dora & Diego, Raggedy Ann & Andy, Cowboy & Cowgirl, Woody & Jessica, Tom & Jerry (for 5/6th birthday?!), and etc.

They were MORE into their friends and wanting different activities which is what we will be doing this year. I am super excited because I always wanted to do the girly theme, thanks to my daughter! My son because he just loves to play bowling.

And at our 5th birthday party it was the LAST time my husband and I would invited 'any family' and focus on just their friends. If you have grandparents, just get together for lunch or dinner. Your twins would like that quiet time to spare. Also, you can always do joint party with their cousins with cake/present to open on the weekends. We have NO family--they are all gone! Our close friends has been a family to us helping us celebrate along the way for the first 5 years.

I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be fine either way joint or separate parties! Have fun!
    Diana

11. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are asking for separate parties this year.

I think Meghan's is going to be here at the house and will be a tie dye party. Nolan's may be at an arcade or at a bowling alley. Not sure yet. And Liam is turning 5 on Wednesday so he will be having his party this weekend. :)

12. RosebFranklin

RosebFranklin New Member

Give them separate party as i also had given this year with the help of party rental companies.