School lunch

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by w101ttd, Oct 7, 2013.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Hi ladies, hope you all have a wonderful weekends! I have some questions.

My kids don't like their school food much. So we always pack lunches. Usually I pack food in ziplock containers, milk in thermal bottles. And everything is in thermal lung boxes. Their lunches are: egg fried rice, steamed veggies, BBQ meat, pizza, ham and pepperonis sandwiches,.. I always warm up the food before I put it into the lunch boxes.
    My questions are what you pack for your kids? Is it ok to pack cooked meat (BBQ meat, spaghetti with meat balls,..)? My kids are happy with their food. And they don't get sick. And I haven't gotten any complains from their teachers. Actually one day, Michelle's teacher said that her lunchs were always good and she wanted me to pack some for her too lol. I don't see any problem. But my husband today makes it big deal about packing meat for their lunches.

My kids go to school full time,8:30-530 M-F. I just can't pack only sandwiches everyday for them.

Thank you so much!!!

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our school doesn't provide lunch so I can't wait til they can buy some!! LOL!  Anyways does your school warm the lunches?  Ours has a microwave so everything is a go for them, including meat.  We do leftovers, pb&j sandwiches, homemade lunchables, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, meatballs, sausage ect.  Todays lunch was fish sticks, peas, applesauce, and some halloween marshmallows for a treat.  They provide milk there.  If your packing it in thermal lunchboxes with an ice pack it should be fine, my kids have left their yogurts and when I unpack it around 5-530pm (packed at 6ish am) its still cold enough I can put it back in the fridge:)

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

If I send leftover style meat (like spaghetti and meatballs, ham and cheesy potatoes, etc.) I put them in a thermos.  I put super hot water in the thermos while I am microwaving their food.  Then I dump the water, put the hot food  in, and close the container. They say their food is still warm when they eat it.

For cold meat (like salami, ham, turkey) I put an iced cold pack in with their lunch.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We do wraps (ham & cheese), sandwiches, cream cheese bagels, cold  lunch meat/cheese/crackers, cold pizza, sunbutter & jelly, hummus & crackers,   for cold lunch. I use a freeze pack to keep it cool.

For hot: I have thermoses  and we fill with raviolo, chili, chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, hot ham, soup, lasanga (left over), or other dinner leftovers!

My girls never complain that the lunch is not cold/hot.

We try to do meatless a few times a week though- so that helps keep it simple. 

5. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Thank you ladies! I didn't use ice packs before but I used frozen fruit cups. Now I use ice packs just incase. I called their school, was told that the way I packed was fine. Thanks again!!

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It sounds like a good lunch to me, if the kids are eating it, then I don't see anything wrong with packing them meat in their lunches.