s/o Kids TV shows you DO like

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Minette, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Team Umizoomi (a newish one on Nickelodeon) -- a math-based cartoon show for preschoolers. It has the same cheesy animation they all do, but it's pretty clever.

Sid the Science Kid (PBS Kids) -- OK, the voices drove me nuts at first, but it's also really witty and they learn lots of cool science stuff.

Are there any other shows that your kids watch that you actually like? (I don't mean they're necessarily appointment TV for you, but that at least you genuinely approve of your kids watching.)

2. pinkpoonani

pinkpoonani Active Member

Word world! It's so cute and clever, I find myself stopping to see how they are gonna make the letters B-I-K-E moosh together and look like a bike, lol. I also like team umizoomi, it's got good music, haha. And I'm partial to blues clues, but only the old ones with Steve, that Joe guy bugs me, and he really needs some eyebrow maintenance. :D

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I also really like Team Umizoomi. I also like Super Why and Dinosaur Train. While I think the premise for DT is bizarre, I like that they are always coming up with hypotheses to test.

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I also like Team U! One of my favorites that isn't on as much now as it was when my oldest was younger is Dragon Tales, I love that show! The other one is Jack's Big Music Show, I could sit through a whole episode of that, no problem.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I love Dinosaur Train, Thomas (especially the ones with George Carlin as narrator,) Team UmiZoomi, Lazy Town (yum!), and Handy Manny.

6. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Backyardigans is my ALL TIME FAVORITE!! :wub: I will probably DVR it and watch it occasionally even when my kids outgrow it. Though my 6 year old still enjoys it!

I can watch Scooby Doo and enjoy it, too! :)

2 people like this.
  7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The Peanuts Specials- my kids are obsessed with them, they take after their mother!
    The Backyardigans-It's a show that my Dad turned the kids on to when they were 1 and he loved it as much as they did. When I watched it, I was bouncing along to some of the songs (Riding on the Range is one of my favorites).
    Team Unizoomi, I like that and so do the kids
    Sid the Science Kid
    Super Why
    Sesame Street

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot Super Why -- we love that too. And I did love Blue's Room (the Blue's Clues spinoff with real puppets, not animation), but they're too old for it now.

And I kinda like the Backyardigans too. But my kids say it's too scary! :rolleyes:

9. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Dinasour train, blues clues, wilbur (love!), wonder pets. One of boys loves dino dan, but he loves any tv. Love bob the builder and thomas.

10. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

Phineas and Ferb is our (mine and hubby's too) new favorite cartoon. The boys saw it a few times and we weren't sure about it, so we checked the rating (G: for all ages) and we decided to let them watch it. It's their first none educational show. But it is so funny for kids and adults. Not like spong bob who I'm not a fan of AT ALL. It's about the only one I truley enjoy watching with them!

11. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Backyardigans, Bunnytown and Bear in the Big Blue House-I love the songs on all of them and Bunnytown actually makes me laugh in places :FIFblush:
    Wonderpets-I liked the early series, although Ming-Ming doing baby talk annoyed me (because the kids would copy it), but didn't like it as much in the later series (after they changed the voices).
    Also Pocoyo. I love him.

There are others I don't mind watching but those are the ones I miss getting to see. The twins are to old to want to watch any of them any more and Eleanor and Ethan are too young to watch much TV.

12. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Word World, Super Why and Little Einsteins aren't bad. I have never heard of Team Umizoomi. I will have to check it out (I mean the kids will have to check it out) since so many people seem to like it.

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I miss Bunnytown. They got rid of it, I think that the puppet company signed a contract with Nickelodeon (Jack's Big Music Show) and after that no more Bunnytown.

14. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Curious George
    Phineas and Ferb
    Word World (is ok)

For an older show: Rollie Pollie Ollie!!! By far our favorite for the older boys!

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Oh yea!!! Legend of the Volcano Sisters is one of me and DH's favorites!!!

Team Umizoomi is ok as is Handy Manny - I also really like Jungle Junction...something about the animals on wheels cracks me up!

16. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

I LOVE Team Umizoomi. I also really like Jack's Big Music Show, but the boys never caught on to that one. We also like Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot about That, lots of science in that one.

17. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I loved Jack's Big Music Show, but the boys are over that phase. They also seem to be done with the Backyardigans which I really liked. I like Word World and Sid the Science Kid, but they aren't into those yet. Right now they are on a Dora and Diego kick, which I don't mind, but don't sit to watch with them unless I have to. Right now we are watching Christmas cartoons, Rudolph, Frosty, Here Comes Santa Claus, etc. It's been a nice break from Dora!!

I'm going to have to check out Dinosaur Train, sounds like something they would enjoy.

18. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

A new one here is Special Agent OSO. We also like Team Umizoomi, Imagination Movers and my boys favorite is Super Hero Squad. My favorites are Backyardigans, Fraklin and Magic school bus. My fav from my older kids shows is icarly.

19. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

My absolute favorite is Wild Animal Baby Explorers! :wub: it!! I also like Dinosaur Train and Team Umizoomi.

20. rumbo

rumbo Well-Known Member

We've been watching a lot of Kipper (at first his voice drove me nuts) - it's super simple, not a lot of flashy animation, etc... and Pingu - claymation, which I love. Sesame Street is still a favorite too.

21. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

I like the Elmo DVDs and The Backyardigans are enjoyable (i can even sing some of the songs including RIding the Range ahhaha)

22. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I didn't know Team Umizoomi was math-based, had no idea what it was about. I'll have to Tivo that one, the girls (esp Bea) are really into math now.

I love the Backyardigans! I'm with Jori, I'll have to keep recording it even after my kids outgrow it. I get excited when there's a new episode coming up. :blush: The songs and storylines are 1000 times better than every other kids' show, the characters don't shout at you, demand that you clap, shout, jump up and down, and it's funny and imaginative. They also don't dumb down the vocabulary, which I like. Love how each show's music is based on a musical genre, too. They've done klezmer, 80's pop, alternative rock, rock opera, ABBA, 60's girl group, country pop, you name it. I'm a little too into the Backyardigans, huh?

We also like Handy Manny, although I wish Manny would just freaking ask out Kelly already. Sheesh, the will-they-or-won't-they... The girls recently discovered Clifford, although catch me on a sappy day and I want to cry because of John Ritter :cry:.

ETA - I also started getting Gullah Gullah Island, which is an older show from the early 90's (clothes/hair look dated, but they don't care). Ainsley really likes it. It's a little cheesy and more for like 5-7 yr olds than 2-4. But, it's ok and it's nice to see an African-American family featured on a kids' show.

23. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

wow, there are so MANY more episodes of Backyardigans for me to watch (er I mean the kids hahaha)

24. Jackie1078

Jackie1078 Member

I think I'm one of the odd ones who actually likes Yo Gabba Gabba. After thinking the first episode I saw must have been created by somebody on drugs, they started to grow on me. My other favorite is Olivia.

Team Umizoomi is fun, but we never seem to catch it when it's on. I also like SuperWhy.

25. travellingmum

travellingmum Well-Known Member

I wish we got Sesame Street in the U.K. That was my favourite show growing up! My kids and I like Show Me Show Me, I Can Cook and Something Special, both are UK shows that probably aren't on in North America. Mister Maker is also popular, but the crafts are a bit advanced for them.

26. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a range of shows from the last 9 yrs! :lol:

Blues Clues is one of my all time favs. I also liked Gullah Gullah Island when it came on (I think it was made in south carolina if I remember right, or based here or something). Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is great too (I love mickey!!). Jack's Big Music show and Imagination Movers are both favs of mine too. Anything with some good music! :D

27. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Blues Clues - what a smart show! They don't watch it much anymore. :(
    Sesame Street of course.
    And Kipper! I love this show!!!!

28. Disney Girl

Disney Girl New Member

I love the Little Einsteins. I think it's a really cute show! Right now my girls are going through a Dora and Diego phase. I think Dora is kind of strange. Cute but strange. I don't mind Diego. They also LOVE the Wiggles. There are a couple skits that I kind of like. I can't tell you how many nights I fell asleep singing their music!! We ALL love Phineas and Ferb. Especially Dr Dufensmirts (sp?)!! The girls sing Squirrels in My Pants all the time!!