Rule of thumb for coughing and school?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by miss_bossy18, Dec 9, 2013.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Danika's caught a bug that's led to a fairly nasty cough. She's doing okay today although we kept her home from school. The thing is, I'm quite certain this cough is going to linger even though she'll be better. I can't imagine keeping her home for the entire run of the cough if she's showing no other symptoms - what do you do? Do you send them back once they're well even if they're still coughing? The only policy the school has is that kids must be well enough to participate in all activities. :unknw:

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, I would send her as long as she's clear of other symptoms. Coughs can take forever to clear up; they'd never be in school!

1 person likes this.
  3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I sent both of my two with coughs today.  Luke has actually been going for a couple of weeks with a nasty cough (just finished a round of antibiotics for bronchitis).  My basic rule is if they feel okay and they don't have a fever, they can go to school.

1 person likes this.
  4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I have a kid home today with congestion and a cough.  No fever, but feeling crummy, and slept awful last night.  However, she is that annoying too sick to go to school/but not so sick that she isn't bugging me constantly while at home.  I think she is going back tomorrow- ha! 

5. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Both of mine are the type that hangs on to a cough for a while after being sick, so they'd miss a ton of school if I kept them home for a nasty cough. If they are feeling better and no fever, then they go to school.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No fever and normal activity level, off to school.  Fever and/or tired, exhausted, lethargic...etc, stay home. 

7. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

This exactly.  :D

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Great!  Thanks all.  What you've all said is pretty much my feeling too but it's always nice to feel validated.  :D

1 person likes this.
  9. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

Just as long as it isn't pertussis: a kid in the girls class had it; she was coughing and coughing and coughing, the teacher finally got fed up and sent her home to see a doctor, she had pertussis!