Rescue cerclage & Terbutaline

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by hhc, Oct 16, 2009.

1. hhc

hhc Well-Known Member

Last week I went into PTL at 22 weeks and had a rescue cerclage. I was discharged from the hospital yesterday with a T pump and home monitoring. I have some bleeding but my OB told me that unless it was a constant flow of blood, not to worry. Considering that I didn't know that I was in PTL and 4 cm dilated, I'm terrified that I won't recognize the signs that my cerclage is failing. Can anyone tell me - would I be in horrible pain? How much bleeding would there be? Anything else to look for?

Also, with the T pump, I'm on a baseline dose and need to call the nurses if I my contractions exceed 5 in an hour for a bolus. Contractions woke me up last night (at 2 am!) and I called for my bolus but then I had to put myself on the monitor for an hour. I don't know that I'm going to make it (mentally) if this happens frequently. Anyone else have a T pump? I don't understand why they don't just give me a high enough dose of terbutaline to keep the contractions at bay. Is what I'm doing normal protocol or did anyone do anything different?

Any information anyone can give me is much appreciated.

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

:hug: Momma! By the time I went into PTL, it was too late for a cerclage so I don't have any experience with that. I had Terb several times when I was on hospital bedrest, but I wasn't on a pump. That medicine was no fun!!

Make sure you are drinking a TON of water, emptying your bladder often (a full bladder can cause uterine irritability), and stay in bed flat! Please just trust your gut, and don't hesitate to call if you have any questions or are concerned. It is so much better to be safe rather than sorry. You can do this!! :hug:

3. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Sorry this is happening to you! I know how scary and nightmarish it is. I had a rescue cerclage at 20 weeks and was on magnesium, then on terb and procardia for the remainder of the pregnancy. I was never released back home, so I don't have experience with that. I can tell you that for the 11 weeks I made it with my cerclage, I constantly felt like something was going wrong. Because it was! They held my labor at bay, but I never quit contracting. I think the calmest hour I had was 3 contractions. My biggest advice would be to not hesitate to go back in. I know for some people that terb stops working. I rarely took it because my doctors preferred to use procardia and use the terb sparingly, but when I did take it, it seemed effective. Hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

4. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I forgot to answer your question about the cerclage. I bled for the first couple days after, but then would only spot occasionally. If I had significantly increased amounts of discharge, they would do an Ffn test. When my contractions did start breaking through the medication and I was about to deliver (at 31 weeks, tearing through my cerclage) there was a significant amount of pain. Enough to double me over and it felt as if I were tearing apart on the inside. There was no bleeding at that point, just pain. I'm not sure if that was because of how far along I was and how long I had had the cerclage for. Just don't hesitate to call and ask, even if you're calling 20 times per day. Try to relax and hold onto hope, but listen to your gut as well. GL mama!!!

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I'm sorry this is happening. I had an emergency cerclaged placed at 24w and had some bleeding the first few days after as well, I was told it was normal. I was sent home with terb (the pill not the pump) and it was no fun to be on. If you have any signs of PTL, just be sure to call your OB. I know I had some lower back pain and increased discharge, which I am assuming was my water leaking (maybe).

6. Bethy300

Bethy300 New Member

I can comment on the terb pump. I've been on it for the past 5 weeks with the home monitoring. I was admitted to the hospital at 26 weeks for PTL. I went back into the hospital 2 weeks ago because the contractions were over the threshold all day. While home, my basal rate has been increased several times because I have continued to go over the threshold. They've also increased my boluses. It's frustrating but they want to make sure you're on the lowest dose possible since this is something that is constantly in your system. Luckily, though I've been contracting for the past 5 weeks even while on terb, procardia, and indocin, my cervix has been stable and the funneling is no longer present. Are you also on bed rest?