Reglan (metoclopram)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by adams1965, Aug 18, 2008.

1. adams1965

adams1965 New Member

My girls started out on Axid and it wasn't really doing much, or didn't seem to be at the time.
    Now they are on Prevacid, twice a day, liquid form. We do not have the solutabs that everyone on here always talks
    about and I don't know why. Ours is already mixed in the bottle.

Our pediatrician just prescribed Reglan or Metoclopram for the girls, .4ml three times a day. I told him they have gas really bad
    and I think a lot of their pain is coming from that and he prescribed this. The pharmacist says this has nothing to do with gas and it
    is another reflux medicine and we are to use them together.

Anyone else on this? What should I expect? This seems like a lot of medicine going into very small bodies :(

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine were just on the Prevacid, but I have seen others that used that with the Reglan. Reglan or Metoclopramide is used to speed up gastric emptying so that there is less formula or BM sitting in the stomach for long periods and it supposed to help with the amount of spit up.

3. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

My twins were prescribed Reglan after the Previcid wasn't cutting it. We chose not to put them on it, after I read up on some of the side effects. Time seemed to help mine most of all. Still wondering if it was the right decision though.

4. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

My Ped talked about putting Karina on Prevacid and Reglan just like you described. It is another reflux med, but it is 4 times a day like your doctor told you. It is taken in conjunction with another reflux med, but not necessarily at the same time of day. Also, we were told by our doc that there are some possible side effects, but that they are temporary and would disappear if the medication was stopped. We didn't end up using it and she seems to be starting to outgrow the reflux. The reflux program at our University hospital (U of MN) told me that solutabs should not be used in small infants because the dosage could not be controlled when you need to split it. Good luck. Reflux is really awful.